Setting up ip cameras with nas and cloud recording

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

So after a couple of false starts with some bad ip cameras i think i`m finally getting somewhere. I have 3 dlink cameras around the house and so far one foscam exterior that arrived today, and planning a second if this one is ok.
Now i`m a bit confused about what to do with all the various feeds from them. I have had the dlink cameras on mangocam cloud (using ftp) , and also record to my Qnap NAS as AVI files . The foscam I spent a few hours trying to get it to work unsuccessfully with the ftp route and mangocam and then came across the foscam cloud which is free for one camera. But if I decide to pay montly it probably wont support the dlink cameras.
So I`m just wondering if the ftp route is the best way as its restricted to about 2-3fps, is it better to record to the nas the video and then send that to the cloud storage? Although I only get two cameras free with QNAP and then the license jumps to about $179 for 3 more cameras.
Also I really like how the foscam setup works remotely its very fast updating, unlike the dlink cameras that are just using ftp.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
THanks
Paul

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And if someone walks off with your NVR?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If someone walks off with your NVR it wont matter cause those cheap ass cameras you bought will be unlikely any help in the first place.. besides what if they take your internet down first? its hardly foolproof.

cover your bases first, then worry about the improbable.

fyi, many cameras can record to internal SD card.. if someone steals your NVR the cameras can retain the last day's of video very easy... but but what if they steal my cameras too!? well then hide a pogo plug with a ftp server somewhere it wont get stolen, put it inside an old VCR and nobody will fuck with it.. promise.