Setting up and using IPS-HFW5231E-Z12E without a browser?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On a windows machine using IE 11 or Palemoon, once you've installed the plugin you should be able to view video in the web browser. You should also be able to install smart PSS. Until you can figure out the basics there's really no point in continuing the discussion about what you may or may not be able to to under linux.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On a windows machine using IE 11 or Palemoon, once you've installed the plugin you should be able to view video in the web browser. You should also be able to install smart PSS. Until you can figure out the basics there's really no point in continuing the discussion about what you may or may not be able to to under linux.
I am pretty sure that the basics will be wrong what ever OS I try. I posted screen shots hoping that somebody can point what basics are wrong.

My attempt with Windows/IE and the plug ins some days ago was not a success. Why do customers buy Dahua when the company does not provide up to date information for a simple set up? Maybe average customers have Windows and accept default set up?

Thanks again.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the basics will be wrong what ever OS I try. I posted screen shots hoping that somebody can point what basics are wrong.

My attempt with Windows/IE and the plug ins some days ago was not a success. Why do customers buy Dahua when the company does not provide up to date information for a simple set up? Maybe average customers have Windows and accept default set up?

Thanks again.
Yes, their average customer uses windows and can follow instructions. It's also worth noting that their business model is not focused on direct to consumer sales.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to get onto a windows machine, like it or not.
On that windows machine, using Internet Explorer (Not edge), connect to your NVR so you see the page below.
Then in the NVR setup page, under the column "web interface", click on the Blue E for the camera you want.

Yes, their average customer uses windows and can follow instructions. It's also worth noting that their business model is not focused on direct to consumer sales.[/QUOT

Meaning that Dahua uses distributors and they face the heat instead of Dahua when things go wrong? IMHO the NVR I have is marketed with misleading promises and the instructions are all but clear and actually often false. If Dahua wants customers to use IE to set up the cameras they should make it clear. Think found nothing on Dahua Wiki about using IE except something about security.

Can only hope that the cameras work and that the PayPal promise of 60 day return is good.

I thought that my first Dahua NVR had problems because it was with hacked software. Now that the second Dahua NVR is also with problems I suspect that there is a bigger problem. Bought the NVR because do not have time to create a dedicated PC with Linux for the cameras.

Thank you for your help and opinion.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want to access a camera directly, click the blue "e" icon for that camera. I don't think Dahua uses a static mapping, just look at the browser window that opens and see what address it's loading.
Even I have understood that I must click on the magic blue "E" and that Windows is the recommended OS.:)

I am pretty sure that I used the correct direct address for the Starlight and still got no web interface with Slimjet Easy View nor FF. As I tried to explain earlier I managed to login to the web interface with Slimjet Easy View but the magic "E" only offered "modify" not "set up" (wrong color/nothing happens)

I have installed IE tab and Cloud Browser to Slimjet but for some reason they are not available.

My plan: test Lubuntu 32 with Palemoon 32 in 64 machine and re-install Slimjet and if I become very desperate even Chrome to see what happens with the IE Tab that works for others.

I can create dual boot if necessary.

What is your set up?

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My intention was to find out can I set up and use Dahua cameras only with the noisy Dahua NVR without a browser. The short answer appears to be that using to some extent yes but for setting up the cameras and very likely also setting up IVS and for full search functions a browser interface is needed.

I thought that I bought a stand alone device but was wrong.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My intention was to find out can I set up and use Dahua cameras only with the noisy Dahua NVR without a browser. The short answer appears to be that using to some extent yes but for setting up the cameras and very likely also setting up IVS and for full search functions a browser interface is needed.

I thought that I bought a stand alone device but was wrong.
You can replace the fan and make it much quieter.

What model NVR?
What firmware version is the NVR running?
Do you just have the 1 camera?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could try to get SmartPSS to work using WINE. It used to be that some NVRs didn't support IVS, I thought they expanded support for IVS but I'm not certain.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can replace the fan and make it much quieter.

What model NVR?
What firmware version is the NVR running?
Do you just have the 1 camera?
NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2. I had same model before but overheating and less noisy.

I have 4 Dahua 4431s installed and recording with factory settings. Wanted something better for night time and ordered 4 5231ep-z12e. The NVR and Starlights are from Andy so that I guess they are ok. Have to check the firmware.

Have not had time for trying camera set up.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try to get SmartPSS to work using WINE. It used to be that some NVRs didn't support IVS, I thought they expanded support for IVS but I'm not certain.
When I got the 4431s and the NVR last year I wanted to set up tripwire. The set up looked ok but never worked. Of course I was only trying with the NVR not web interface. I ordered from Ali in a great hurry due to threats, stone throwing and did not know about this site. The 4431s have pacified the road and nobody with any common sense will try to come over the wall because of our dogs.

My sons got a buzzer (alert) working with the NVR but do not know what they did. Maybe motion detection.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2. I had same model before but overheating and less noisy.

I have 4 Dahua 4431s installed and recording with factory settings. Wanted something better for night time and ordered 4 5231ep-z12e. The NVR and Starlights are from Andy so that I guess they are ok. Have to check the firmware.

Have not had time for trying camera set up.
Firmware 3.215.0000000.4 Latest version build date 2018-01-19

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update:
1) I finally tried with Windows and IE. Can reach camera settings but no video. Because of security (?) problems the plug in does not download. I allowed the download despite warnings but that did not help because it does not run. Did factory reset but no help.

2) Genuine Chrome for 64 bit Linux Mint does not install IE tab but offers Easy View instead like Slimjet. Can login but no camera set up available.

3) Firefox for 64 Linux Mint: result is the same as with IE. Camera set up yes but no video.

Is the plug in for IE giving problems for others?

Palemoon apparently is only for Windows. How about Midori or Basilisk for Linux?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They also have a couple linux sdks: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/support/downloadCenter/softwares?child=3
the windows versions have some sample binaries, not sure about the linux ones.
Android emulators are also an option for installing android apps.

The HTTP API document may also be helpful you.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/amcrest-files/Amcrest+HTTP+API+3.2017.pdf
Thanks. I managed to see my camera settings with Firefox/Linux Mint 64 bit. If I can adjust and save them using Firefox it will be a major step forward. Hope that will have time after tomorrow.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I managed to see my camera settings with Firefox/Linux Mint 64 bit. If I can adjust and save them using Firefox it will be a major step forward. Hope that will have time after tomorrow.
Have you tried the bookmarklets in the other thread? They're pretty simple but they will work in linux. You may need to tweak the urls they use slightly. They should work on the individual camera pages.

You might be happier with a refurbished pc running windows and blue iris to record the video.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not yet tried the bookmarklets. Think there was something about not having multiple cameras and other pragmatic reasons. I agree about a dedicated Windows machine with BI or PSS or dual boot Windows/Linux. Would not Dahua sell more NVRs with better firmware making them stand alone devices? The cameras are nice but the NVRs and plug ins are not.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Latest problem:

I have had 4 Dahua 4431s running for more than a year with NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2. Since yesterday one of them does not show up on the NVR. I have done factory reset and after that there is first "account is locked" and then after 1-2 minutes "invalid user name or password". Why would an account be locked directly after reset and there is nothing wrong with the user id or password as far as I do. I have not used web interface. The camera is on since the IRs can be seen.