Setting up a new DVR

Satguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello - I was wondering what options are out in the market for setting up a Linux box with DVR so i can record about 5 Hikvision IP based cameras. Current I only have 1 right now (DS-2CD2432F-IW) but plan to get some for the exterior of the home.

Does Hikvisions DVR software work on Linux? Does BlueIris?

Currently, I'm in the planning phase so any help with this is appreciated.

Regards,

Satguru

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither hikvision nor blue iris software runs on linux. Your options are zomeminder (not recommended), Xeoma, or Exacq....the latter two have per license fees...you may be better off just buying a windows license and running free hikvision vms.

Satguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Can you tell me if these applications can work with NAS type storage...example, a portable drive attached to router directly?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a tiny CuBox i4 Pro running ArchLinux w/64gb uSD and a 4TB WD Purple in an esata enclosure.. its recording 4x 2-3MP 15-20fps streams 24/7 over ftp with very little load and holds 12 days of video.

I then share the recording folder over the network and I can load/search through them using SmartPSS for Mac.

The CuBox runs a custom web interface for my home automation/security and talks over IP to a few BeagleBone's running Arch hooked up to home security sensors on a secure vlan. Mobile Devices can VPN in to the network and access cameras with native apps remotely and I pull jpeg's for the webui

Eventually I am going to get a Dahua NVR to power TV's and Displays but ftp is working just fine for storage.. I take it your not satisfied with any of the Hik NVR's?

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think both iVMS and Axxon software packages require the storage drive to be local via a drive letter. So if you can map the drive it may work. But, I don't recall a network storage option per se, as it does exist in the camera interfaces to store to sd card, network drives etc.

Satguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Nayr - That is some setup. Lots of tech there. I would not say I am dissatisfied with the Hikvision NVRs but I am rather exploring my options...see what is most cost effective.

Based on everyone's response it might be better to get the the windows machine and just use the the Hikvision software. Does anyone with this setup have any major gripes with it? I plan on using most of the features including the email alerts.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like iVMS because of its price, lightest cpu load and obvious compatibility with hikvision cameras.

I haven't explored alerts yet, because my cameras are outdoors and any bug flying past at night, tree shadow moving during the day, etc etc will trip the video motion sensor, causing it to record and alert. I will explore PIR trips sensors, but the hurdle there is ideal position of the sensor vs the camera. I may just set that up for one particular camera still to be installed.

Still have to get to remote access and remote reviewing. (spent too much time trying to get other software to work and getting past some bugs or compatibilities)

iVMS seems decent. I wish it was a little bit better featured or coherent in the event search and playback department. But it can find all the clips for a certain time period and play them back simultaneously.

When it comes to video playback I'd just like to have buttons to do frame by frame, got to next clip, skip a minute ... have it a bit more video editing like controls over playback. But I'm just getting started with ivms really, and the reality is that once the cameras are up and running, have image quality, camera focus & aim, motion, recording, etc dialed in, you won't really be spending time reviewing much data unless something happened.

If one looks at hikvision cameras and thinks about rolling their own pcnvr, I'd certainly say to give ivms a look.

Though some people will swear by blueiris for certain features; or some other software because of the number of cameras it can handle or has certain features they want or need. I really just wanted / need mine to record, invested in the cameras, network hardware and pc to make it happen (could have recycled an existing big unit, but wanted new energy efficient fast and compact) and can down the road still upgrade to any better featured pc software.

I spent a fair amount of time with axxon next. Very well featured and detailed, but has a learning curve and isn't the most intuitive. More geared to businesses who will run multiple servers and have 24/7 staffed surveillance needs. Should axxon have in camera detection for hikvision, it might work better for a small setup, but for starters, the cpu load was just too high to do video detection on many megapixel streams on a single system. What works fine for a couple cameras became a cpu issue once you reached 4 or 6 for me.

Last edited by a moderator: