Setting up a local relay server for push notifications

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have completely locked down my cams and NVR from the internet through an dedicated vlan and relative firewall rules. I can access my cams from my mobile through setting up a connector in the same vlan (a linux pc for me) that has access to the internet (only outgoing and established related connections, so invisible to outside directly) and connecting it to a relay vpn server. Into the same vpn server i am connected through my mobile and voila i can access my cams because i am residing inside their vlan.

No VPN server in my router, no port forwarding, no P2P.

The problem i have n't figured out yet a solution is the push notifications. Specifically when a camera detects a motion wants to send a message to a relay server in the internet and that relay server sends to our mobile the push notification. The message from the NVR or camera is outgoing only, so no problem for our local network. But i am not sure about what other info the "push message" from the NVR is sending to the relay server, so i want to setup a local relay push notification server inside my vlan, so the NVR will send the push messages there.

Has someone implement this and if yes how?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider Pushover.

Using their API, if your machine can process a bash script, cURL or JSON (and several more) and get it out on the Internet, then a remote device (smartphone or PC desktop) can receive it within seconds. They have a client app for Android, iOS and Windows desktop.

From their Pricing page:

"To use Pushover for yourself or a small group, it's just a $5 USD one-time purchase on each platform (iPhone/iPad, Android, and Desktop) where you want to receive Pushover notifications. You can try it out free for 30 days by downloading our iPhone/iPad or Android apps, or by using our Desktop app right from your browser. Multiple devices of the same platform are covered under the same one-time purchase, so you can use Pushover on your iPhone and iPad, or an Android phone and Android tablet without paying anything extra. There are no subscription fees for individuals using Pushover.
Sending Notifications
All Pushover users can send notifications to their own devices or to any other user's devices through our API, E-mail Gateway, or any Pushover-enabled app or service. Each user can send up to 10,000 messages per month for free. Users needing to send larger amounts of notifications can easily upgrade sending capacity through our website."
P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Reaction score
Hi TonyR and thank you so much for your welcome message.

Thanks for the suggestion, but what i am trying to do is to setup a pure local relay server inside my lan, so there will be no need for my NVR to communicate with the internet (for example pushover servers). I want for my NVR to send the push message to a local server and this local server to broadcast the message only to registered devices inside its scope, that means inside my vlan that is full sterilized with firewall. So when my mobile is connected to this vlan through my relay vpn server i will be able to receive the notifications.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good luck.

Maybe consider to read how push notifications on ios and android devices work. Then you may understand what you want will never work.

Start with google pictures for a scheme

Reaction score
Good luck.

Maybe consider to read how push notifications on ios and android devices work. Then you may understand what you want will never work.

Start with google pictures for a scheme
I am not sure if it will work or not. Could you please explain to me and to others how you are so sure that this is never gonna work?

Meanwhile regarding android take a look here: Firebase Cloud Messaging