Seperate streams for YouTube, amcrest vs BI

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finally have the funding for upgraded cctv.

I want to have several cameras on a chicken coop with a constant live stream on YouTube.

This poses a couple questions.

1. Security wise, should I have 2 NVRs or BI machines with those chicken cams seperate from our home cams?

2. I want the ease of a consumer nvr for my wife to be able to use app wise.

I was thinking maybe have the chicken cams on an amcrest nvr, and the home cams on a BI machine. Or, 2 nvrs one chicken cams and the other on the home.
This will have the same amcrest app with just two machines on the same app...

I have 1fig fiber so no issues there.

What are yalls thoughts?
I don't want a setup I have to constantly tweak and mess with. But I do want to add a couple auto tracking ptz....

Thanks yall.

I'll try building a layout tonight

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to have several cameras on a chicken coop with a constant live stream on YouTube.
1. Security wise, should I have 2 NVRs or BI machines with those chicken cams seperate from our home cams?
Easier to stream to youtube from blue iris.

What's your security concern exactly? Someone with a laptop and ethernet cable inside your chicken coop? You can tackle that with network topology decisions, a managed switch, or code to deactivate an electric fence, but that's a mighty tech savvy fox.

Last edited:

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Easier to stream to youtube from blue iris.

What's your security concern exactly? Someone with a laptop and ethernet cable inside your chicken coop? You can tackle that with network topology decisions or a managed switch, but that's a mighty tech savvy fox.
So I was just wondering if there was a security risk of providing a live stream, and if someone somehow got through would having that system isolated from the home system using a different password be better.
If that makes sense.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I was just wondering if there was a security risk of providing a live stream, and if someone somehow got through would having that system isolated from the home system using a different password be better.
If that makes sense.
For your purposes, there are two types of "live streams" (if it helps, think of 1 as clients pulling content from the server and 2 as your computer pushing it to the cloud):
1. Your hosting some type of server that serves up the content directly to clients. This could be say 4 devices in your house trying to watch the cameras at once or could be exposed to the internet which I wouldn't recommend. In this scenario each client that connects uses more bandwidth (unless you're multicasting) and there could be some security risks if you're serving content to the internet this way.
2. Your broadcasting your stream to a service in the cloud (youtube, twitch, etc). In this scenario you aren't exposing your blue iris server in a way that's a security risk unless some sort of blue iris bug accidentally broadcasts the wrong camera (very unlikely).

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
YOu can set up some Amcrest NVR's and have a Blue Iris PC. Thats what I have going currently. I'm phasing out the XVR( when Spring arrives or maybe Summer) to lower my power consumption for the total system.
I have the older Amcrest 4108 and the AMDV8M8-H5 Xvr.
I'm using Zero Tier one for VPN. works slick my iphone.
I'm using the Blue Iris App, and the girls can access the Amcrest App as needed.
I have yet to tackle Putting Zero Tier One on her phone.
Huge language barrier, (Viet) that and she gets fed bullshit from her Nephews with Reolink and Wyze and Ring Wifi cams.
No fucking way I'm going with any of that crap.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What? No WyzeCams? LOL

I have a couple hot-rodded Mini_Hacks PoE v3s hanging off my AMDV8M8 and they do just fine for the intended purpose. Certainly can't argue with the night vision quality and hardwired ethernet changes the game for em completely. Even have a RLC-410A bringin' up the rear just for shits and grins. Ha! Great day cam for the side door sidewalk, but that's about it. No issues otherwise and it plays nice on both Blue Iris and my Amcrest, which I have loaded up with 12 cameras now -- eight IP and four analog. I'll be forever gratefull for your suggesting I check into that unit as an option back when I was scrounging..., seriously, dude. Thanks.

But back on topic, one of those for a hundred bucks (minus HDD), a PoE switch, and tinyCam Pro on an AndroidTV box or VLC on a moderately powered PC would probably cover the OP's needs if Bl seems like too much overkill for the purpose out of the gate. He could mix analog and IP for all general purpose stuff on the Amcrest and just feed what he wants to YouTube using whatever delivery platform of choice or convenience.

The other aspect I like about the Amcrest is the phone app for remote viewing. Simple and fast for the task. Advanced functions are another story, but it's a pretty quick viewing app if you don't ask too much more of it.

Me? I wanna see these chickens.