Sensor difference on outdoor 12x PTZ cams

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've installed an Amcrest 12x 1080p outdoor PTZ camera (IP2M-853EW) and am thinking about getting another one for the other end of the house. In my newbie assumption that the 4MP version of the 12x would result in a better optical zoom, I'm considering paying more for that version. The specs are the same except for the resolution and the sensor. The 1080p version that I have has a 1/2.8” STARVIS CMOS image sensor, while the 4MP version has a 1/3” CMOS sensor. Which sensor is better? If the 1080p sensor is better, is the 4MP version worth $90 more? Rather new to this so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
welcome to the forums, i have the dahua version of this camera at 25x optical zoom and it takes great video for me at night. I am using it for license plate capture. Her is a sample pic, from it. Amcrest is dahua rebranded with less features usually.
2 night LPR.jpg

Reaction score
You will find a lot of information here for your questions. Read and plan before your next purchase. Amcrest also has forums on here. Good Luck!

Reaction score
If you would like color video at night the 1/2.8” sensor would be better. If you had good lighting or street lights then the 4mp would be ok. With my 4mp Amcrest I’m only able to get about 1/30 shutter speed without getting too grainy. At that speed cars are still a little blurry driving by at night.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've installed an Amcrest 12x 1080p outdoor PTZ camera (IP2M-853EW) and am thinking about getting another one for the other end of the house. In my newbie assumption that the 4MP version of the 12x would result in a better optical zoom, I'm considering paying more for that version. The specs are the same except for the resolution and the sensor. The 1080p version that I have has a 1/2.8” STARVIS CMOS image sensor, while the 4MP version has a 1/3” CMOS sensor. Which sensor is better? If the 1080p sensor is better, is the 4MP version worth $90 more? Rather new to this so any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are MUCH better PTZ's now available. See the many review threads.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Even in B&W with IR the 1/2.8 sensor in 2MP will be better. The older 1/3 sensor has seen better days.
I agree. Technology has passed it by. There was a time when I would buy nothing less than a camera with a 1/2.8" sensor. Nowadays I will by nothing less than a camera with a 1/1.8" sensor.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I like the the build quality and functionality of the camera, especially the time task options on the PTZ menus since I need to be able to have tours start automatically between certain hours. I've seen some inconsistencies between this family of cameras, as noted in this review comparing the 12x and 25x versions.

For visual purposes, I like the Amcrest because the housing is all white unlike the the Dahua versions, but will keep looking.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I like the the build quality and functionality of the camera, especially the time task options on the PTZ menus since I need to be able to have tours start automatically between certain hours. I've seen some inconsistencies between this family of cameras, as noted in this review comparing the 12x and 25x versions.

For visual purposes, I like the Amcrest because the housing is all white unlike the the Dahua versions, but will keep looking.
I saw the amazon review about a year ago that you referenced. I could speculate on what the problem is there, but it's easy to see what your max zoom is. Just measure the height of an object at 1X and then measure it again at full zoom. The object at 12X should have a height 12 times bigger. 25X height should be 25 times bigger. I have an Amcrest 25X.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw the amazon review about a year ago that you referenced. I could speculate on what the problem is there, but it's easy to see what your max zoom is. Just measure the height of an object at 1X and then measure it again at full zoom. The object at 12X should have a height 12 times bigger. 25X height should be 25 times bigger. I have an Amcrest 25X.
Thanks for the info. From scouring those Amazon reviews, it also appears that while the Amcrest 25x model is marketed as a wifi only camera, it does, in fact, have POE functionality. Are you pretty happy with the 25x you have? I'm not sure that I'm going find a more customizeable interface for changing camera settings than the Amcrest platform and also get a camera with a wholly white housing, so I'd be inclined to stick with the Amcrest family of outdoor PTZs unless there's another brand, like a Hikvision Starlight PTZ, that has similar functionality.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had the Amcrest 25X for two years. It's my favorite camera. I use ethernet cable with 12V power but have seen user reports of poe working properly.
Cons:
When highly zoomed it can loose focus when moving between day and night but I think that's fairly common with Dahua PTZ. Amcrest is a Dahua OEM. I understand there is a program available to control that but I've never tried it.
I do not use the latest firmware because I don't need it and I've seen reports of PTZ not working well on some third party softwares with latest firmware. The latest firmware cannot be downgraded.