Self Defense Batons

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
With the increasing Coyote sightings in my neighborhood, I am thinking of getting a self defense baton. Anyone here have any experience with batons?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perhaps you may be in need of a walking stick/cane to help you around? Uneven ground, etc.. where you walk?
I know many people who use one to help them on uneven ground, regardless of age.

They come in a variety of styles, etc... some of them are VERY stout.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a word of caution, batons are not legal in many states within the USA. Know your laws.
Pepper spray might be a good substitute.
Agreed about knowing the laws.
Even pepper spray has some stipulations about age, size of container, where it's prohibited, etc. which vary state to state ==>> Pepper Spray Laws by State 2022

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s a good idea. A friends front door lock failed, wind blew it open and her dogs got out. They inflicted $19,000 worth of vet bills on the poor bastard walking his dogs. Her insurance covered everything.

I’ve seen self defense canes. If I remember correctly the handle part is steel, the rest wood. One can inflict some damage swinging the steel part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't the risk of an attack from a Coyote extremely low\rare, like 1 per year?
If public records can be trusted doesn't California experience a mass shooting every 8 days? (and that is well below the us average, believe you rate 44th), but yeah let's worry about some native animal.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s a good idea. A friends front door lock failed, wind blew it open and her dogs got out. They inflicted $19,000 worth of vet bills on the poor bastard walking his dogs. Her insurance covered everything.

I’ve seen self defense canes. If I remember correctly the handle part is steel, the rest wood. One can inflict some damage swinging the steel part.

What her dogs attacked another dog walker? What happened to the attacking dogs?

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't the risk of an attack from a Coyote extremely low\rare, like 1 per year?
If public records can be trusted doesn't California experience a mass shooting every 8 days? (and that is well below the us average, believe you rate 44th), but yeah let's worry about some native animal.
Have you ever been to California?

You can take a four hour drive away from the masses and need to protect yourself from Bears.. There still is rural land in CA and there is a lot of national forestry in CA. So whatever is on that land can venture out...

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What her dogs attacked another dog walker? What happened to the attacking dogs?
Yes her dogs attacked a dog being walked. Nothing happened to her dogs. They don’t seem to be the type that would do this but they are dogs so not always predictable.