Seeking Clarification on New Build

Reaction score
Hey fellas- been creeping the hell out the site trying to figure out what I'm looking for in terms of new hardware.

Coming from an 8ch DVR system with plenty of wasted money on cams and stand alone DVR's to find out it simply doesn't cut it.

I'm pretty sure I have decided to go with B.I. on a dedicated machine. Cameras are undecided at this time.

After quite a bit of reading, it seems there is quite a lot of recommendation on the Optiplex or Elitedesk, new or used, that can be had at a good deal. After going back and forth I decided to join up and just ask what i'm trying to figure out.

the last post I came across which answered most of my questions was: Hardware Req for 16-20 3MP Cams

Fenderman seems to know his stuff but Im confused on CPU at this point. I chose the thread i just linked as an example as I'm thinking i'll need 8-10 cams at 2-3mp depending on cost and what i can afford. Room for overhead is nice but will likely never exceed the amount of cameras.

One side says go with the i7 skylake but based on the above listed thread, some are using some rocking ivy bridge with no issues. I don't need an overkill just something that will reliably handle this amount of cams and provide me with images and video i can actually USE in the event I needed to.

Can someone help narrow this down for me? TIA!! and glad to join the group.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you run 2mp then you will be just fine with an i5-6500....they can be had for 300...
Spend the saved money on the starlight dahua turrets, they are well worth it for outdoors.

Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Is there any real advantage of the between a gen4 or gen6 chip? you recommend the i5-6500 which has a passmark of about 7100. If i find something comparable with that mark am i still OK?

Lets say i opt to go with 3mp cams at a minimum am I still good for scale-ability

Thanks for the advise on the cams..i hadn't even started looking at those yet

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Is there any real advantage of the between a gen4 or gen6 chip? you recommend the i5-6500 which has a passmark of about 7100. If i find something comparable with that mark am i still OK?

Lets say i opt to go with 3mp cams at a minimum am I still good for scale-ability

You can run an i7 6700 for about $600 refurbished and have all the power you'll ever need. The current best camera is the dahua starlight eco 3 series in either turret or bullet, bullet has alarm ins and outs and audio in and out and depending on your house could be better for clearing the overhang, turret is low profile with audio in. If you have a few really great choke points or places you just KNOW a thief is going to go consider an ultra starlight or two, pricey but you're better off with a small number of awesome cams strategically placed over tons of crappy cams with maybe no really good images.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

The skylake supports hardware decoding of h.265...while blue iris supports h.265 it does not support hardware decoding for it yet, but i would assume that it will at some point..so its worth the extra 20 bux.
You can likely still do 10 3mp cams on an i5-6500 ..it will vary by settings you use....
There is a negligible benefit by going to 3mp and with respect to night vision you are sacrificing a lot...go with the dahua starlight turret, its worth it.

Reaction score
I appreciate the additional hmjgriffon. I see the review on here about the starlight and that thing is legit. i have certainly learned you get what you pay for in cams although im limited to my terrible experience with DVRs and their crappy ones

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can run an i7 6700 for about $600 refurbished and have all the power you'll ever need. The current best camera is the dahua starlight eco 3 series in either turret or bullet, bullet has alarm ins and outs and audio in and out and depending on your house could be better for clearing the overhang, turret is low profile with audio in. If you have a few really great choke points or places you just KNOW a thief is going to go consider an ultra starlight or two, pricey but you're better off with a small number of awesome cams strategically placed over tons of crappy cams with maybe no really good images.
i7-6700 can be had for 500 easy...600 is too much..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I appreciate the additional hmjgriffon. I see the review on here about the starlight and that thing is legit. i have certainly learned you get what you pay for in cams although im limited to my terrible experience with DVRs and their crappy ones
Also don't get caught in the megapixel marketing crap lol more isn't always better

Reaction score
If you run 2mp then you will be just fine with an i5-6500....they can be had for 300...
Spend the saved money on the starlight dahua turrets, they are well worth it for outdoors.
I'm seeing some for less than 300 easy on ebay. So that's promising.

i7-6700 can be had for 500 easy...600 is too much..
from what i see right now they are in the 450-550 range

Reaction score
Also don't get caught in the megapixel marketing crap lol more isn't always better
that's what's confusing. i would have thought that the increase in MP would be proportional to the quality you gain from it but apparently that's not the case.

From what i gather: i5-6500 should be good for 10-15 2mp cams depending on settings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm seeing some for less than 300 easy on ebay. So that's promising.

from what i see right now they are in the 450-550 range
careful with the processor models..dont get a slim one with a T processor...
get a form factor that will hold at least 1 3.5 and 1 2.5 drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
leaning more toward the elitedesk..what can I say...im an HP fanboy with all the ProLiant gear we have at work.
You need to watch ebay....I got my i7-6700 Elitedesk MT with 256gb ssd for 400 using best offer, but that is very hard to find...I got lucky...500 is more like it

Reaction score
at any rate: From what i gather i5-6500 should be good for 10-15 2mp cams depending on settings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It should..note that the prodesk lacks some features of the elitedesk and you will have to add more memory..you should have 8gb

Reaction score
Found an i7 4790 with 500gb hdd, need to bump the ram from 4 to 8 for 250. What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk