Second NVR

Leighbus

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a dahua 8ch NVR in my lounge room connected to my tv which works great however I'm currently building a workshop/studio out the back seperate to the house and I want to have a monitor in there so I can see all my cameras and would also like the ability to switch and zoom cameras from the workshop.

To do this do I need a second NVR? Can I even have 2 seperate NVR's to control/view the same group of cameras? And can it be done over wifi or does it have to be wired network? I could run network cable down side of house under the ground and into the shed if I have to but would prefer to avoid that if possible as too much work.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't need a second NVR for this. You can use the Smart PSS app to connect to the NVR over your network. I don't think there are any smart TV's that have this app (I could be wrong), but you could definitely put in a mini PC and plug that into your TV.

Alternatively, you could use an HDMI extender (also known as HDMI over Ethernet). You would need one at the NVR and one at the TV. Then you run cat6 between the 2 to send the HDMI signal over a longer distance. But that's probably a more expensive solution for sure.

Leighbus

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't need a second NVR for this. You can use the Smart PSS app to connect to the NVR over your network. I don't think there are any smart TV's that have this app (I could be wrong), but you could definitely put in a mini PC and plug that into your TV.

Alternatively, you could use an HDMI extender (also known as HDMI over Ethernet). You would need one at the NVR and one at the TV. Then you run cat6 between the 2 to send the HDMI signal over a longer distance. But that's probably a more expensive solution for sure.
I don't really want to have to fire up a computer, load programs, login to programs etc every time I want to use it, I want to be able to just turn on a monitor and have the cameras show up straight away.

Jayordon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't really want to have to fire up a computer, load programs, login to programs etc every time I want to use it, I want to be able to just turn on a monitor and have the cameras show up straight away.
Something like this Minix Mini PC is super low power. You could just leave it on all the time running the Smart PSS software and then all you have to do is change your TV input to see your cameras.

MINIX Z83-4 Plus/MAX 4GB/128GB Fanless Mini PC, Intel Cherry Trail Windows 10 Pro [Dual-Band Wi-Fi/Gigabit Ethernet/Dual Output/4K/BT/Auto Power On]. Sold Directly by MINIX.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A second NVR can certainly view the camera streams and control the cameras.

HDMI over Ethernet adaptors are great, but it controls the main NVR directly. Maybe you want to have the shed screen to be completely different from the main (lounge) screen?

Issues that comes with a second NVR is that it may want to take over control of the cameras from the main NVR.
If I were to try: I would connect the second NVR to the same network as the cameras (back of the Main NVR's network switch) and make a login for every camera that has user privileges. The second NVR would get a login for each camera that has user privileges only. That way the second NVR sees each camera individually but cannot change it's settings. PTZ controls would work with user privileges.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Consider this ==>> HDMI USB Extender, AV Access KVM Extender
Something like this Minix Mini PC is super low power. You could just leave it on all the time running the Smart PSS software and then all you have to do is change your TV input to see your cameras.
What do you want to consider?

• An NVR still takes time to boot up.
  • If you leave that running 24/7, it's the same as buying a small PC to run PSS 24/7.
OR
  • HDMI over Ethernet adaptor which boots instantly but is a mirror of the main NVR screen.
  • Relies on the main NVR already being powered up (it should stay on 24/7 anyway).

Leighbus

n3wb
Reaction score
HDMI over Ethernet adaptors are great, but it controls the main NVR directly. Maybe you want to have the shed screen to be completely different from the main (lounge) screen?
Yes that is exactly what I want as we only have our 4 perimeter cameras showing on our main screen but I want all 8 on the shed screen.
What do you want to consider?

• An NVR still takes time to boot up.
  • If you leave that running 24/7, it's the same as buying a small PC to run PSS 24/7.
I think a small computer running PSS constantly and just turn monitor off when not in use is probably best option assuming it can all be done over wi-fi.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I want as we only have our 4 perimeter cameras showing on our main screen but I want all 8 on the shed screen.

I think a small computer running PSS constantly and just turn monitor off when not in use is probably best option assuming it can all be done over wi-fi.
I was guessing you would like the two screens to show different things :).

Just to add another curve ball;
If you choose a second NVR or PC in the shed: it can serve as a second recorder for footage backup.
Example, someone breaks into your house and damages the main NVR, then you have a backup!

As for WiFi stuff:
I wouldn't know the signal strength from your home router to a computer with wifi card installed.
I find WiFi lags on cctv regardless, so it's best if we can improve that signal somehow.

If you want decent internet access to your shed you could install two Point-to-point Access Points (what a mouthful!). One on the house and one on the shed.
Something like two Ubiquiti M2's. Plenty of videos on YouTube about setup.
These sort of devices are commonly used to send network data between remote places.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want decent internet access to your shed you could install two Point-to-point Access Points (what a mouthful!). One on the house and one on the shed.
These sort of devices are commonly used to send network data between remote places.
FWIW, plenty of info regarding these on IPCT as well!

Leighbus

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldn't know the signal strength from your home router to a computer with wifi card installed.
I find WiFi lags on cctv regardless, so it's best if we can improve that signal somehow.

I currently use Google mesh wi-fi and plan on adding an access point in the shed.