SD49425XB-HNR - Odd spotting on the lens

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The attached photo is the worst, it depends on the lighting. most of time, I can make out what's out there. What is causing this and can I fix it? It doesn't matter if it's 40~ F or 80f~ the spots are still there.

Attachments

ktcanuck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I assume you cleaned the lens surface but it sure looks like moisture drops or similar on the lens surface.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Just like your car windshield, you can see fine if it's dirty but when driving into sun...it's hard to see anything.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did clean the outside of the lens, I have to hang outside of my 2nd story window to get to it. :D

It seems like it's on the inside, is that possible?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is always possible it could be inside - it happens due to quick temp changes and the heat generated in the camera. Especially if you put in an SD card and the seal isn't tight.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My vote it's a combo of all the above: slight moisture inside the lens and filtered sunlight hitting at an angle as it comes through the trees.

Thermal cycling can draw in damp air as the housing cools off through poor, shrunken or dried out gaskets and seals, even via the pigtail going into the cam. It condenses inside, never gets out so it collects.

Oftentimes the cure is to bring the cam indoors, open it up in a dry environment, dry out with a hair dryer on low, let it stabilize to room temp, replace the desiccant packs and re-assemble, insuring all gaskets and seals are good, caulk those that appear to not seal well, caulk up inside pigtail also, use outdoor-rated silicone caulk.

EDIT 10/17: 0734 CT: I'd recommend this silicone caulk because it won't outgas as it cures which could fog up a lens. If used in place of a severely distorted, cut or missing gasket or seal, allow it to cure completely before re-assembly so it won't "squish out." ==>> Clear Electronic Grade Silicone - 2.8 oz Squeeze Tube

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say open it up, is there an option to remove the from lens cover? I have not looked yet as it's 2 stories up. Even right now, on a cold day, I see the spots. Something must be dried on the inside. Kind of a bummer for an expensive camera.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are going to pull down the camera to take care of this. Access is via the rear hatch of the sphere. Then you pull the camera module out the rear to access the window. Not safe or practical to do at altitude.