SD Card and NVR

CenterDev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question. Is there any benefit in putting an SD card in an IP camera if the camera is already connected to an NVR or Blue Iris? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simple answer is they are backup if the hard drive fails or Blue Iris is doing maintenance or you are updating or the NVR or computer restarts or.... It's a redundancy issue. But you do not record continuous to SD Card, just on motion as many of these cameras have small CPUs and struggle when the card gets full and trying to figure out how to overwrite a continuous recording.

You can access the SD card via the web GUI of the camera and/or NVR depending on who makes it. You do not need to remove them from the camera to review. Some NVR systems will actually retrieve data off the SD card if the NVR went down.

CenterDev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great. I will put an SD card in each camera and follow your suggestion. Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a cheap investment for the redundancy it offers.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question on the SD cards, i can use a sd card and the nvr at the same time?im using 5442 cameras and lorex nvr. How i configure the settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes - go into the camera GUI to set up the recording to SD Card.

Go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different.

1611926899349.png

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok i go there then? I installed but only record to local and no into the nvr. There is a way to make both record at same time?i read somewhere use the sd card for motion only. That is what i want.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You go to the camera GUI to set up the record on motion trigger to the SD Card. Then in the NVR you will set up how to record to the NVR - either continuous or motion trigger.

It will be very similar to your NVR from this post:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI: I have 8 cams with SD cards in them that have recorded the substream of the camera continuously now for 3+ yrs. Never had a problem.
Use only good high endurance cards, and test them that they are authentic. There are a LOT of fakes in the market.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky! My cams start getting buggy once the SD card is full.

The video is fine in Blue Iris, but when I go into the Camera GUI it will start being unresponsive when I try to make any changes or do things like not show the IVS when I want to see it, etc., so I am like oh I bet the card is full, so I reformat and the responsiveness comes back.

Maybe I am in the camera GUI too much tweaking LOL.