save to multiple locations?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks to Fenderman and Q2U for the help. I decided it's just better to run a batch file that starts when the computer starts and just does a robocopy every 10 seconds to my NAS storage. I found the video file isn't locked, and robocopy will happily copy a half written file. But after 10 seconds, it will recopy the complete file, or another partial file. Eventually, it will copy a fully working file. It's not instant redundancy, but close enough.
Can you playback the half written file?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
nope, it couldn't render
Then make sure you are not using combine and cut...even without combine and cut this can still present an issue if the trigger on the camera never before the file is copied...

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW and likely a learning moment for me as well: If you do as Fenderman suggests it seems to me that the full load for managing this is all on BI. What if you were to have a separate program copying/syncing the older where the video is being stored by BI to another folder elsewhere on the PC or LAN. For example, I use Always Sync ( http://allwaysync.com ) for this type of file backup/sync at preset intervals. Just a thought and would welcome corrections if this would not be a good idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW and likely a learning moment for me as well: If you do as Fenderman suggests it seems to me that the full load for managing this is all on BI. What if you were to have a separate program copying/syncing the older where the video is being stored by BI to another folder elsewhere on the PC or LAN. For example, I use Always Sync ( http://allwaysync.com ) for this type of file backup/sync at preset intervals. Just a thought and would welcome corrections if this would not be a good idea.
There is very little extra load placed on BI..this allows for real time recording to both locations..another option which provides better redundancy is to simply place an NVR somewhere on the network that records 24/7..

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
from what I saw, the extra BI load was minimal. I was glad to see the network load didn't seem to increase at all. My cameras will just be monitoring my front door and backyard, so any needed clips should get to the backup NAS before someone takes the pc. I do plan on getting a PC lock to make it slightly more difficult to walk away with it though. The robocopy as a scheduled task on boot is enough for me.

Plus, once I add a microSD card to the camera, that should give me more redundancy.