save to multiple locations?

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it possible in BI to save clips to multiple locations, or at least copy immediately after a clip is closed?

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah, I don't see anything obvious in the interface, it'd be nice to be thrown a bone as to what tab to look at. I don't see anything in the manual for this. I can FTP clips, but I just want to copy them to a SMB share. I see an archiving option, but that's based on disk space/time thresholds.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it's obvious in the interface. Read the help file/manual.
Is it possible in BI to save clips to multiple locations, or at least copy immediately after a clip is closed?
Sometimes wcrowder's posts appear a tad rude Mr.Typo; I certain he's not a bad fellow...just communicably disabled I would imagine. I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to do Typo. Would you please explain it in more detail and I'm certain someone will help you get the information you need. Peace.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have clips saving to the SSD of the machine that's running Blue Iris. I'd like to make a copy (not move) for redundancy to another device on my network thru SMB protocol. I could just create a batch file that runs every few minutes to sync up folders, but then it has to work around open files if a new file is still active. I was hoping BI has an option that I didn't find for doing this.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand clearly now Typo. I'm not certain how you would go about enacting such a procedure...but our Mr. Fenderman might have an idea and he should be checking soon.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand clearly now Typo. I'm not certain how you would go about enacting such a procedure...but our Mr. Fenderman might have an idea and he should be checking soon.
"Clips and Archiving". "New" is immediate storage, "stored" is archived storage... You can push this off to network storage. If you want immediate redundancy you have raid 1 "mirroring". Raid 5, 3 disks minimum can loose one. Raid 6 4 disks minimum can loose two...

You could also run two servers running BI separately recording the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris can also record to two locations simultaneously. Simply clone the camera in blue iris and set an alternate path for the second Cam using an aux folder... Hide the second camera so you don't have doubles on screen ..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue iris can also record to two locations simultaneously. Simply clone the camera in blue iris and set an alternate path for the second Cam using an aux folder... Hide the second camera so you don't have doubles on screen ..
There you go Typo! Outstanding solution! Please speak up if you don't understand the procedure which Fenderman has outlined.

Fenderman, do you think that this solution would cause BI to use additional CPU cycles to service the cloned camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There you go Typo! Outstanding solution! Please speak up if you don't understand the procedure which Fenderman has outlined.

Fenderman, do you think that this solution would cause BI to use additional CPU cycles to service the cloned camera?
No.. Blue iris will only pull a single stream.. There may be a small increase due to pushing the files to the second location but should not be much.. I only use cloning for alert purposes so I can't say for sure...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No.. Blue iris will only pull a single stream.. There may be a small increase due to pushing the files to the second location but should not be much.. I only use cloning for alert purposes so I can't say for sure...
Man oh man...that is one slick solution brother Fenderman...my hat's off to you.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok...that's an interesting way to do this, but why not! Thanks for the tip.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok...that's an interesting way to do this, but why not! Thanks for the tip.
Question is, why? Just a Curious George. You can use BP2008's stuff as a display wall, with the server else where. Raid would be cheaper. Like I said just curious, you may have a unique situation I might run into one day.

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just did it and it works fine. Network bandwidth remained the same, cpu went from 4.5-4.6% to 7-7.2%, but I have enough for that.

One other question though...I don't see how to hide the cloned camera without disabling it.

As to why, just in case someone comes in and steals my Blue Iris computer. Yeah, they might take the secondary device too.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just did it and it works fine. Network bandwidth remained the same, cpu went from 4.5-4.6% to 7-7.2%, but I have enough for that.

One other question though...I don't see how to hide the cloned camera without disabling it.

As to why, just in case someone comes in and steals my Blue Iris computer. Yeah, they might take the secondary device too.
What if they take the backup to? :)

typo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks to Fenderman and Q2U for the help. I decided it's just better to run a batch file that starts when the computer starts and just does a robocopy every 10 seconds to my NAS storage. I found the video file isn't locked, and robocopy will happily copy a half written file. But after 10 seconds, it will recopy the complete file, or another partial file. Eventually, it will copy a fully working file. It's not instant redundancy, but close enough.