Save on POE switch

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you need a 500 foot run of xx/2 wire to power a camera you either have an estate, so why is a PoE switch a problem, or you're doing something very, very, wrong. Voltage drop is also dependent on current. A larger wire size will help insure that the voltage drop on a 50 or 100 foot run will be minimal to help maintain efficiency of the end use devices. Power companies use high voltage transmission to reduce conductor size, reducing current to provide the same net power. PoE works in a similar fashion, using 48 volts regulated down to 12 volts, to reduce current on the conductors while maintaining the same power level. P=IxE

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you intuitively think running a nice thick wire with a 12 volt supply means less losses than with POE, the numbers say otherwise. (Assumes I crunched the numbers correctly, which I sometimes don't, so corrections don't offend me).

Using a round-number 500 foot wire run, or 1000' total for the plus and minus conductors, 16 AWG wire run will have resistance of 4.016 ohms. 23 AWG cat6 resistance is 20.8 ohms, but since each side of the power is carried on 2 conductors, the resistance is actually 10.4 ohms for the wire run. Using a 12 volt load of 1 amp, the 16 gauge line will lose 4.016 volts. For the same power using POE, the current will be 0.25 amps for a loss of 2.6 volts. Power loss in the 16 AWG line is 4.016 watts. In the POE line it's 0.65 watts. Big difference!

I'm so surprised by the difference that it feels like a mistake, but I keep coming up with the same result. Same reason the power companies use zillion volt transmission lines. If the cable from the power source to the camera is fairly short, none of this matters much.
There needs to be some clarification and discussion as it pertains to your numbers so everyone has a better understanding and has both eyes wide open.

Because some will think the information is not subject to change as noted below.

Distance: The maximum distance for standard POE as spec’d by the IEEE is 100 meters / 320 feet. So to achieve 1000 feet requires mid spans to provide such distances which introduce what - more resistance and voltage drop.

This is why nobody who is remotely serious uses unpowered mid spans because it’s not possible to provide consistent GB speeds.

This is why those who use so called boosters that are not powered don’t see the same reliability & performance which adds even more voltage drop / resistance. There’s a thread going on right now and the OP has dozens of things at some 400 foot distance and can’t figure out why his shit don’t work or why it broke his shit?!?

Temperature: When heat rises so does resistance in any cable and thus voltage drop. The inverse is also true when it’s cold. This is also why shielded cable is used in certain applications when distance, bandwidth, and throughput is the primary goal. Because shield cable has a higher tolerance to heat build up (inside out) vs heat soaking (outside in).

This again highlights why some brands of cable costs so much more when compared to others. You’ll never see a data sheet for (testing) as it relates to temperature rise on cheaper cable.

POE: Your calculations also don’t take into account if someone is using passive vs active POE or the type of power over Ethernet such as POE AF, POE+ AT, POE++ BT. Where this whole thing goes down the toilet very fast is a cheap switch will not provide consistent amperage to each port. It may measure X volts but once a load is inserted the current does not meet the stated IEEE standards.

This is made even worse when people believe using the latest fad of Super POE (Think Dahua) to achieve 800 feet and beyond on a single line?!? The famous reply is whelps it’s 10 / 100 that’s plenty for a camera!

Really?!?

You know that thing that was created called a mid span?? That wasn’t designed and thought up by every major vendor in the world because it was fun. It was made because there was a true need to achieve 1000 feet and beyond while maintaining GB speed, bandwidth, throughput, and to spec latency!

Super POE like many of the things on the market was created to address edge case situations but everyone that gets suckered into this shitty tech always does what?!?

Buys and inserts a powered mid span to regenerate the data and power!

Data: I know your overall intent was to show case power loss as it pertains using different diameter cable. But it’s hard to ignore the fact 16 AWG is not doing what at the same time?

Data . . .

Nor does it explain if the same 16 AWG was also running 48 volts the loss you provided here would be negated. High voltage has been used to electrify our grid because doing the same on a 8” diameter wire would be impossible given the cost and shear weight.

High voltage allows smaller wires to carry less current and reduce resistance over extreme distances. This is exactly why the different POE standards exist now besides using fancy timing to carry data & power on the same wire if required by its spec.

All of the above assumes a person is using quality components, cable, and hardware. When anything in the chain is less than ideal think 24-36 AWG Ethernet cable?!

I was asked to come on site one day because a whole bank of switches died and took out the various POE devices from phones, cameras etc. As soon as I walked into the server room I knew immediately what happened. Some stupid fool wanted bright orange cable to achieve a Look.

Well stupid found out 23 AWG shielded cable isn’t readily available in orange! So bought the same colour using 30 AWG!!

Just imagine seeing rows and rows of switches over heated, blown ports, end devices damaged because someone was too stupid to use a cable of same diameter!

Everyday someone is installing patch cables that are 24 AWG in a wall that isn’t CMR rated. Every day someone adds to this stupidity by chaining 2-4 more devices on the same small ass cable. To add insult to injury these same people will add a Booster to break the 320 feet limit to only pile on to ultra stupid of using Super Duper POE at 10 / 100 Mb?!?

All of this sounds funny, it isn’t, because in this forum and many more this happens every single day.

Standards were created to achieve a known result. If people can’t even follow the most basics of using the correct material, hardware, etc. You can not expect to see consistent results that is reliable over a 25 year lifetime.

Reaction score
HP Procurve for the win. I have installed two of these now--- run forever, quiet, and 12 POE ports (out of 24 total) is adequate for most homes or small businesses.

$850 ~ $1,200 New...... $40 on ebay....

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
^^

Those are similar to the ones I purchased 7 years ago except mine were 48 port and gigabit. Silly how cheap enterprise gear goes for on eBay.

Reaction score
^^

Those are similar to the ones I purchased 7 years ago except mine were 48 port and gigabit. Silly how cheap enterprise gear goes for on eBay.
When I was doing this, the gigabit ones were just more than I wanted to spend. OK--- so I bought a Lot of ammo at the time... black guns matter! LOL the $40 switch was kind of an experiment for me--- will keep an eye on those gigabit procurves and will likely upgrade sometime... Was it this one? ---

As for the OP... If he was worried about having "all his eggs in one basket" and a switch failure bringing it all down, he literally could buy 2 of these and just keep one on standby "if needed". He seems intent on spending a lot more on power cable for each run and independent individual power supplies that would effectively produce a system with lots of breaking points-- very unreliable. While it's theoretically possible to do-- why would you-- right?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
When I was doing this, the gigabit ones were just more than I wanted to spend. OK--- so I bought a Lot of ammo at the time... black guns matter! LOL the $40 switch was kind of an experiment for me--- will keep an eye on those gigabit procurves and will likely upgrade sometime... Was it this one? ---
I bought two. One was a 10/100 PoE Procurve that runs the cameras which similar to the switch you posted first. Then I bought a gigabit Procurve but not PoE. Thats in a different installation.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I know your overall intent was to show case power loss as it pertains using different diameter cable.
That nails it. I gave the example only because there are a couple of posts in the thread about running a separate 12 volt power wire in addition to the catx line, and when one looks at a 16 or 18 AWG wire it's pretty tempting to think it's obvious that losses are reduced with use of the separate power wire. I used 1000' as an example length because it's easier to understand an example with with round numbers, and AWG tables often quote the 1000' resistance. I used the 77 deg F numbers and thought introducing the temperature factor would needlessly complicate the main point, which is:

Using a separate power line at 12 volts will result in more power loss as compared to using POE. Just as true for run lengths within the POE spec as with a round number example.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
We were praising cheap hardware because it would be better than the route you were intending...unless you spend big bucks, a $30 POE switch will provide the same lack of protection as those fuses in that $50 wiring box you were looking at. If that was a good route, someone here would have gone that route...

But yes, if you want to buy higher grade equipment, absolutely do so, but your posts had given the impression you were looking to cheap out on a solution...so we gave you better cheap options than you were looking at...
I’d don’t mind buying a quality switch but don’t want to pay double or triple the price for a little wattage. I believe the Dahua 5442 series pulls 7 watts.
There was nothing wrong with having a separate power supply. They were marketed when CCTV was was the standard by brands like that Monoprice I was looking at and Dahua. The manufacturer of many popular IP camera brands include a connector to power the cameras. Most people probably prefer to run 1 cable vs 2 which is why you probably haven’t ran across that option , but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good route. The primary difference between CCTV and IP cameras is resolution, the power requirements don’t appear to have changed much.
Everyone has different options but they are just that , options. If you’ve had good success with the hardware your running I totally respect that.
I have had electrical devices damaged last year due to a lightning strike and with the cost of the 16 cameras Andy will be selling me soon I’ve contacted a company to install a whole home surge protection system so that power supply would be protect at the panel. Monoprice was probably referring to voltage fluctuation protection like you get from using a UPS. There’s no way those fuses will protect a camera from 300 million volts or about 30,000 AMPs as is a typical lighting strike.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
The last place you want to cheap out is with a Poe switch.... unless you enjoy heartburn amidst trouble shooting. Same goes for that cheap 12v power supply. It could be disaster. If you want to go that route buy an Altronix brand power supply instead of that Noname box. You get what pay for.
Buy once cry once.
Thanks. I’ve never heard of that brand but I’m sure it’s good, thanks for recommending them. In years past I’ve purchased Monoprice because of their quality. I’ve finally found a switch ( Netgear GS324TP ) that is priced fairly for a POE.
The largest complaint was the fan noise but going from FW Ver 1.0.0.27 to 1.0.0.30 turns it almost silent while maintaining an internal temperature of 45deg ( C )

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your intention of what is being powered by auxiliary 12 volt versus PoE. I like to keep my auxiliary IRs on 12 volt supplies to avoid using PoE splitters which can be a little questionable. A 16/2 cable seems to be a no brainer and keeps everything separated plus reducing the load on the PoE switch. I'm not concerned about the voltage drop in a 60 foot run of 16/2 with a 2 or 4 amp load, it's negligible.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
If you intuitively think running a nice thick wire with a 12 volt supply means less losses than with POE, the numbers say otherwise. (Assumes I crunched the numbers correctly, which I sometimes don't, so corrections don't offend me).

Using a round-number 500 foot wire run, or 1000' total for the plus and minus conductors, 16 AWG wire run will have resistance of 4.016 ohms. 23 AWG cat6 resistance is 20.8 ohms, but since each side of the power is carried on 2 conductors, the resistance is actually 10.4 ohms for the wire run. Using a 12 volt load of 1 amp, the 16 gauge line will lose 4.016 volts. For the same power using POE, the current will be 0.25 amps for a loss of 2.6 volts. Power loss in the 16 AWG line is 4.016 watts. In the POE line it's 0.65 watts. Big difference!

I'm so surprised by the difference that it feels like a mistake, but I keep coming up with the same result. Same reason the power companies use zillion volt transmission lines. If the cable from the power source to the camera is fairly short, none of this matters much.
Thank you. The runs would have been 20’ to 60’
I was considering installing it in the center of the house but have since found a switch.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I like to keep my auxiliary IRs on 12 volt supplies to avoid using PoE splitters which can be a little questionable.
I think the best argument for the separate power wire is to avoid the rats nest of wiring with the splitter. I'm using 4 splitters, and provide a plastic box for all of the adapters and connectors that add failure points. I've not had any splitter failures, even with the el chepos. The more expensive splitters that pass the POE power through should be a good improvement but they still need to be protected from the elements. I've got 10 cameras hacked to power the IR lights from their POE supply. Clean wiring and no protective boxes needed, but obviously not for all but a small fraction of users. From my view I think the cameras should provide a 12 volt output as a standard feature. If I were the manufacturer I'd probably think it would cause more problems than it's worth to satisfy the small fringe group that uses external illuminators.

A 16 ga duplex wire running 60 feet will lose about a volt at 2 amps. All of half-dozen external illuminators I tested were constant power devices down to somewhere below 11 volts, so losing a volt in the 12 volt line is a non-issue with them. Seeing the reviews for smart IR makes me ask about the wisdom of continuing with external illuminators, but smart IR doesn't do anything to help with bugs, spiders, and reflections from rain and snow. All of this meant for discussion. Not meaning to argue. I spent a lot of effort on the power and cable heating issues because my shortest runs are over 100' with a lot of it in the crawlspace and I'm paranoid about starting a fire in the crawlspace with an overheated wire.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And smart IR just isn't capable of lighting up and area of 40,000 square feet. Using the right shutter speeds, gain and exposure compensation can mitigate a lot of the overpowering IR levels close to the lights, plus angles involved also come into play.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your intention of what is being powered by auxiliary 12 volt versus PoE. I like to keep my auxiliary IRs on 12 volt supplies to avoid using PoE splitters which can be a little questionable. A 16/2 cable seems to be a no brainer and keeps everything separated plus reducing the load on the PoE switch. I'm not concerned about the voltage drop in a 60 foot run of 16/2 with a 2 or 4 amp load, it's negligible.
Are you using wall warts for each light, or one PS to feed?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use separate 3 amp wall warts to power each corner of the house and two more for the center mounted IRs. They're cheap enough and I've got a shelf tucked away just for them so they're not on the floor or in the way. They're also on the UPS that supports the switches, cable modem, MoCA adapter and two IP phone modems.

Reaction score
I’ll add if someone is considering a used enterprise switch be prepared for jet plane, huge energy consumption, and long term costs. Always have the seller affirm all ports are guaranteed to be operational and the box is factory defaulted to a OEM state.

Jet airplane you say? :eek: Spot on. Exactly what kept me from buying one. I put two of these in and have been very happy. ZERO issues. Not cheap, but not worried about them crapping the bed on me either.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EngineerX

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, after reading this thread (forum sent thread link in weekly email) I headed over to eBay and found and impulse-bought an Aruba Networks S3500-48P PoE 48-Port switch with dual 600W power supplies for $60. Hopefully I'm able to set it up.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, after reading this thread (forum sent thread link in weekly email) I headed over to eBay and found and impulse-bought an Aruba Networks S3500-48P PoE 48-Port switch with dual 600W power supplies for $60. Hopefully I'm able to set it up.
I would probably factory reset it just to make sure whatever settings might have been altered by the previous owner have been returned to factory defaults.

With that done, it really is a plug and play switch if you are looking for an unmanaged POE switch. If you need to use VLANs or other "managed" options, these are very easy to change via the switch's IP GUI.

The "Serve the Home" forum is where I learned about the Aruba switches and there are some good threads over there talking about them and how they work. Specifically, I think this thread, while pretty long, is excellent. Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100. One of the main contributors (ViciousXUSMC) of that thread also created some Youtube videos on the switches too.