Save on POE switch

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
Can i run 18 AWG wire and power the Dahua 5442 series instead of buying a switch with 16 poe ports.
Dahua sells power supplys for this purpose and I can buy the pigtails And wire from Amazon

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So with this you now have the power, what about the ethernet portion?

Since you need ethernet anyway, you could just buy a POE injector or a 4 port POE. You do not need a 16 port unless you have that many cameras.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
They say buying cameras is more addicting than drugs and you never have enough so I want to leave room for the future. I'm going to run Cat6a for data to My network but don't want to pay a fortune for a POE switch. So do you think the 18AWG stranded wire
Unshielded and not twisted would power the 5442 series. That would give me protection
From surges at 1.1A on each channel.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cost of power supply converters adds up quickly and probably more than pays for a POE switch.

Who says they have to cost a fortune?

Purchase several cheap 4 port POE switches and if one goes out, you only lose a few cameras. Many here have been running cheap POE switches for years without a problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would probably spend more than this on a power supply converter LOL

POE Switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
The cost of power supply converters adds up quickly and probably more than pays for a POE switch.

Who says they have to cost a fortune?

Purchase several cheap 4 port POE switches and if one goes out, you only lose a few cameras. Many here have been running cheap POE switches for years without a problem.
Well the power supply I'm talking about will handle 16 channels and 500ft of wire is $50
But you've helped so thank you. I'll just add 1 4 port switch at a time as I build out my system.

Reaction score
Well the power supply I'm talking about will handle 16 channels and 500ft of wire is $50
But you've helped so thank you. I'll just add 1 4 port switch at a time as I build out my system.
good plan. One of the most frequent questions is how to power cameras. Folks need to realize you do not have to go all in at once. I started with 4 cameras with a simple 4 port POE switch. I upgraded as my wallet allowed me to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I mean you can spend more LOL, and at some point you get what you pay for, but for someone on a budget, give it a try - most times a cheap POE switch will do the trick. And it is one less thing to worry about since you have to run ethernet anyway.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
You would probably spend more than this on a power supply converter LOL

POE Switch
I live by the saying the cheap comes out expensive. I try not to buy anything more than once. Netgear offers a 5 year warranty on the prosafe switch I was looking at but this one is only 3 years. I'll look into quality 4 port switches. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I live by the saying the cheap comes out expensive. I try not to buy anything more than once. Netgear offers a 5 year warranty on the prosafe switch I was looking at but this one is only 3 years. I'll look into quality 4 port switches. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
So then it comes down to what if you have to buy two of this one in 5 years (initial purchase and one in year 4 after the warranty) and are those two purchases less than one purchase of the Netgear with a 5 year warranty?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
also to mention that a smart managed switch comes with the ability of vlans ... all consumer/small eneterprise switches are really cheap...

you can spend 100.000 USD and more for just one ;) sure that is datacenter equipment, but even the cheaper cisco/juniper devices are more than 1000USD

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I started out with a 8 port POE injector that I got off Amazon. It worked fine, but I would occasionally loose a port (it would stop passing power). Once I lost enough ports, I decided to get a "real" network switch and ended up getting something used off EBay, (an Aruba S2500 48 port POE switch) for about $115. That would be my recommendation - do your homework and buy something used off EBay. For around $100 you can get a 24-48 port POE managed switch pretty easily. Not only does it give you lots of capacity, but will also allow you to venture into VLans should the need/desire every arise. I eventually created VLans on my network and it was easy to do and very helpful as well.

I really like the Aruba switch. It does not require any licensing to have full capabilities (something some switches require which is why you have to do your homework prior to purchasing). The only negative about the Aruba switch is that it doesn't provide enough power to run max POE wattage to every port. I can run 48 ports of POE, but if every port required max wattage, I wouldn't be able to do that. Obviously in a typical home setting, this isn't a problem. Not only do I not have 48 POE devices, the POE devices I do have (a mix of cameras, IP phones, Ubiquity mini switches, and Wireless APs) don't draw that much power. I run about 20 POE devices and still have plenty of power left to add more. In fact, I could probably run 48 ports of CCTV cameras because they don't seem to require anywhere close to the full 15w max power rating of regular POE.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
after someone post the model in some forum, they were really hard to get. cheapest managed enterprise poe switch you could get.. most of them have 4x sfp+ 10gbit uplink ... crazy for the price
Yup. I read ServeTheHome forums and got in fairly early on the Aruba bandwagon. I ended up getting a 24 port S2500 for my parents house after mine worked so well. I haven't needed the sfp+ ports yet, but may eventually have a use for them. Good news is that you can still get them on EBay pretty easily. I just checked and the 48port POE version runs between $115-149. That's maybe a little higher than when I purchased my switch about 2.5 years ago), but still a great deal.

Phe0nix

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup. I read ServeTheHome forums and got in fairly early on the Aruba bandwagon. I ended up getting a 24 port S2500 for my parents house after mine worked so well. I haven't needed the sfp+ ports yet, but may eventually have a use for them. Good news is that you can still get them on EBay pretty easily. I just checked and the 48port POE version runs between $115-149. That's maybe a little higher than when I purchased my switch about 2.5 years ago), but still a great deal.
Funny you should mention that. I actually checked EBay for high end switches last night to see what was available. I scored a great deal on an Optiplex there so it’s worth a look.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I actually checked EBay for high end switches last night to see what was available. I scored a great deal on an Optiplex there so it’s worth a look.
you have to be careful with these enterprise poe switches. some (or better the most of the cheap used one) are desgined for campus networks , so you connect your poe accesspoint to it. If you want to use them as normal switch, you may have a bad time... because you need a seperate controller to get any functions.

so if the price is to good to be true, first check on model number if its the case.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add if someone is considering a used enterprise switch be prepared for jet plane, huge energy consumption, and long term costs. Always have the seller affirm all ports are guaranteed to be operational and the box is factory defaulted to a OEM state.

Any licenses as it pertains to features are known vs crippled / removed.

Download load the manual and Google what firmware is available if any to patch the latest security threats! Makes little sense getting a 1K switch for $150.XX only to find out the noise is unbearable and the electricity bill is two fold higher.

Nor does it make any sense to find out the latest threat isn’t patched because the hardware is EOL. Some models are restricted behind a paywall vs others are not but they are slow ass to offer any timely updates / patches!

eBay has tons of great deals but you really need to know what you’re buying. As it pertains POE don’t waste your time buying anything less than something that offers POE+.

Many here may never advance to using SFP / SFP+ fibre but in 2021 it’s so cheap to buy DAC / MM / SC modules there’s no excuse not having them. Which leads to really understanding not all switches have great 3rd party SFP / SFP+ support. Meaning instead of finding $10-25.00 modules they are all $55-150.00!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought two HPE Procurve switches on eBay about 7 years ago. They are still running today. Things are built like a tank.