Satellite internet

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have any of you used Hughs net? TWC has a monopoly on our internet service. I have had enough of them I'm not sure Hughs will have enough bandwidth?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Have any of you used Hughs net? TWC has a monopoly on our internet service. I have had enough of them I'm not sure Hughs will have enough bandwidth?
They traditionally have okay service speeds for basic internet use. 10/2 or 15/5 or something around that - it can compare to some rual areas DSL speeds. However, you're not going to find cable operator type speeds of 50+ via Satellite. The other downfall to Satellite is your ping delay and the amount of hops it takes you - so streaming video or playing online games can be challanging. Also be very aware of the data caps on the plan - most plans I have seen them offer fall between 50-100gb a month. My family does moderate streaming, some xbox online, and then basic use and we average around 200-225GB a month.

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have TWC which is now owned by Charter and have used Hughes in rural off grid areas. There is no comparison, stick with a hard line connection whenever possible. The distance between you, the satellite and back down to earth creates many issues. Most of that you will notice as lag especially with anything like VPN, remote desktop access, gaming or VOIP. You also have to worry about weather which can add more lag and even cause the connection to become unusable.