SATA PCIe card recommendations?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone used a PCIe card to add SATA ports to their BI PC? Any recommendations?

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've done this primarily for UNRAID, haven't needed this for BI since I don't need that many drives on BI. But it stands to reason that it would work just as well for BI as for UNRAID IMO. My UNRAID machine was busy 24/7 for a loooong time.

When I was building that UNRAID machine, I did some looking around for a SATA card, since I wanted it to also be compatible with different situations with that machine, both Windows and Linux, in case I did something else with the computer, and I ended up using a JMB585- based SATA 3.0 Non-Raid 5 port card by Electop, but it deson't seem to be in stock anywhere after a quick search now.

However, you can find JMB585-based cards from other manufacturers with 5- and 10- ports. I've been quite satisfied with the JMB585 chipset so far, worked fine in both Windows and Linux. Been running for a few years, lots of load, no issues.

I've also used IO Crest products, and it looks like they have a JMB585-based card, which I wouldn't hesitate to order if I needed another one.

I've also used ASM-based SATA cards (ASMedia) in the past, but I can't recall why I stopped using them, vaguely that I had some issue with Linux. It could be that recent kernels would work fine now. I think they were fine under Windows. but it's been a while, so I don't recall clearly. But you may want to compare JMB to ASM, there are numerous cheap cards out there and you could try both and see how well they work for you.

Cheers, and best of luck!

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've never tried that brand before. I hate when they aggregate so many models under one entry, all of them with different configurations and chipsets... in this case seems like padding the numbers to me. I tend to be skeptical when I see that.

Personally, I'd go for IO Crest -- a brand I've used before with other cards -- and I'd be looking for the JMB585 chipset, since i've already had a good experience with it. IO Crest SY-PEX40167 or SI-PEX40139. That's just me though. Again, that chipset has been working perfectly 24/7 on UNRAID with massive I/O going on.

If you don't want to go JMB, then I'd research the ASMedia chipsets and go for the one with the best reviews. I have used them in the past, and again, I can't recall what issue I had (I believe with Linux), but they would be my next choice for Windows.

Wish I could help more!

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like ipcdal, I had an unraid machine. I rebuilt it and upgraded it for blue iris. The new motherboard had fewer sata ports than the previous one so I upgraded the pcie card with the one linked below. I don't need that many hard drives but I like the security. I've combined a lot of 3tb drives with StableBit DrivePool using triple redundancy. I have two of those brands and haven't had any issues.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
10 port? I was looking more for something in the 4 port range. :rofl:

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd buy an LSI card on ebay, did it for both my servers and they work great. Mine are both Dell perc h200 LSI 9211-8i cards, the sellers already flashed the right firmware on them, so they work in it-mode. That way they can connect 8 sata drives. You'll need the special cable which you can see in the ebay pictures. It's professional grade hardware for a very low price, can't beat that imo.

ebay link

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
10 port? I was looking more for something in the 4 port range. :rofl:
I had 16 drives. I needed a lot of ports.

If you haven't already considered it and you don't already know, make sure you look at the size of the pcie slot. The card I linked to is for a 4x slot. The ebay card is for a 8x slot. You can put a 4x into an 8x slot but you can't put an 8x card into a 4x slot. There are also 1x cards as well. The one you previously linked to is a 1x card.

I'd buy an LSI card on ebay, did it for both my servers and they work great. Mine are both Dell perc h200 LSI 9211-8i cards, the sellers already flashed the right firmware on them, so they work in it-mode. That way they can connect 8 sata drives. You'll need the special cable which you can see in the ebay pictures. It's professional grade hardware for a very low price, can't beat that imo.
I used one of these for years before I upgraded. I had driver issues with the rebuilt system so I moved to the card I linked.