Sample Video, Improvements, Hikvision Gear

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally got round to installing my Hikvision Gear. I went with 2.8mm lens just for general overview.

The cameras and NVR:

DS-2CD2542FWD-IS(2.8MM
DS-2CD2342WD-I(2.8MM)
DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A/2TB

The settings are as follows of both cameras, no other adjustments have been made. Everything else is as default.

Resolution: 2688*1520
Variable: Bitrate
Video quality : Highest
Frame rate: 20fps

What settings can i adjust/change for image etc to improve the quality? Any suggestions welcome.

Sample videos below, at night the garden is pitch black, the road has a street light right outside my house.

Thanks

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Be careful setting WDR and other settings during the day because they can easily make night shots worse. Try setting a schedule for your cameras to switch to/from night mode. When you do that, you can set a separate day and night maximum exposure time. I find that Hik cameras have too slow of an automatic max exposure during cloudy days and vehicle traffic is blurred unnecessarily. They like full sunlight before they automatically speed things up but you get crisp shots if you set them to 1/500th or so once the sun is up even if it's hidden behind clouds all day. If you've got enough light at night you might be able to try speeding up your night shots from 1/30th to 1/60th of a second or faster to eliminate blur. It's a fight against grainy video but judge your changes against moving people and vehicles. I give up a bit of clarity on un-moving background details to get crisper facial detail from walking targets.

solo1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys that sounds like a plan. I will try it out. I did see the settings but wasn't sure what they did. Will report back how I get on.