Safe shutdown procedure

matt1309

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Installing some cameras in a home office. I would like to be able to turn on/off via a switch. I'm happy to automate this with a smart switch to turn off poe injector or via a managed poe switch but my question will shutdowning in this way ever cause issues with the camera/corrupt anything overtime?

I've seen some cameras with a cover to stop view when you want but don't really want to limit my choice of cameras to judt ones with that feature

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have many times rudely pulled the network cable carrying power to a camera when moving a camera or troubleshooting, and never had any problem whatsoever with the camera. The disclaimer is that it sounds like you will be doing this a lot more than I have, exposing yourself more to a low probability random failure, and you probably don't have the same make/model/firmware version cameras that I'm reporting on.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you could just access that managed switch via LAN (or remotely/WAN if needed) and disable a port to kill the network link that connects to the POE switch for the cams, killing all video from the cams without actually killing power, I would think that would be the best way and least problematic.....or just pull the cable out by hand! :cool: