RV Burglary - Rant and A Few Questions

Reaction score
I really hate thieves!

So today I went to the storage yard to bring the laundry back to the RV. We had just returned from a trip on Monday and parked it in the storage yard at about 4:00pm. I had stopped by there on Wednesday for something, and all was well.

Today I discovered that some perp had broken a window, reached in and unlocked the door. Stole mostly electronics, some wine, petty cash, and binoculars. Tossed the insides pretty hard. Will take a while to clean up. I really hate thieves! They hit at least two other RVs. They knew about this make/model locking as they knew how to reach up and unlock both locks without getting cut.

IMG_6136.JPG IMG_6137.JPG IMG_6156.JPG

Now I have to get things repaired, deal with the insurance company, turn off the cellular hotspots, replace the shit that was stolen, etc. I really hate thieves!

The yard has some Hik cams, hope they are good ones. In the photo, the cam on the right is pointed directly at my RV. Office is not open on Sundays, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

e IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6163.JPG

So questions. I probably know the answers already, but I want your thoughts.

1. Thought about mounting a trail cam on the pole that is near my door or on the fence in the brush. Maybe they would not notice it? But they would probably just take that too.
2. Once the mobile cellular hotspot is replaced, thought about putting a cam inside that would send notice to my phone if it was tripped. Not sure how to set that up though.
3. Probably could put an alarm in that activates on the door opening. Just something that makes a lot of noise.

I really hate thieves!

Was thinking about a way to remove the deadbolt knob on the inside while it is in storage.

I know that I will never see that stuff again, but need to find a way to best prevent this in the future. I know it can't be 100%.

Did I mention I really hate thieves?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That really sucks man. And Agree, I hate thieves!

For an alarm, maybe a Guardline set? The receiver can be quite loud if you want with some very irritating alarm sounds to choose from. Get base and 3 sensors for $86

I've used them for years, replace the batteries once a year or so, but really longer than that. I have one at each entry point , Rarely a false alarm, simply aim it above racoon height to be sure. Not a problem inside the camper

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I really hate thieves!

I really hate thieves!

I really hate thieves!

Did I mention I really hate thieves?
Not to make light of this but you sound a lot like some of my past "I detest thieves" posts......because I REALLY DO ! :angry::angry:

I hope there is video and that it provides some valuable info. I'd love to see the bastards get caught.

BTW, I go by the Tiffin class A & super C manufacturing in Red Bay, AL up the NW corner about every few months to visit step daughter and family in Dennis, MS.
Love those things, really classy.

Reaction score
I am very sorry that you got hit. I REALLY, REALLY hate thieves. So much so, I know that if I ever catch one, I will go to jail for attempted man-slaughter!

I believe at the bare minimum that their hands should be broken. Cutting them off isn't so bad either.

Tough? Nope, I don't think so. No one made them break the law and violate another human beings personal property and space.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am very sorry that you got hit. I REALLY, REALLY hate thieves. So much so, I know that if I ever catch one, I will go to jail for attempted man-slaughter!
Oh, I'm with you there....if you do wind up going to jail, please let me know...I'll attend your parole hearings, it's the least I can do...until I catch one myself! :lmao:

Reaction score
Well the storage yard is telling me that they will NOT give me access to the video and will not give me video. They state it is their company policy to only give video to Law Enforcement. But they are in the process of being purchased by another storage yard company, so even though I requested the HSCO to get the video, I doubt it will happen.

Feel like they have something to hide.

Screwed by the thieves and now by the storage yard management.

Still realizing more stuff is missing. Last count was about $2500 worth. But will cost more to replace.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe they don't want reveal thier other Midnite Smuggling operations...with the footage....Or maybe they had knowledge of your contents...and since they are leaving.....long shot...who knows....

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe they don't want reveal thier other Midnite Smuggling operations...with the footage....Or maybe they had knowledge of your contents...and since they are leaving.....long shot...who knows....
They only have to give him that short clip though so very unlikely anything else on there - the guys wouldn't be burgling the rv if people were about.

Call law Enforcement to the yard, I presume your rv is still there, if not drive it back, park up and wait for them outside, tell them there is video, show them the damage. When they ask for the video, point out the cameras, tell them the yard has said they have it but they'll only show it to LE. Truthful, but puts them and the yard on the spot. Them to investigate it as they're there and the yard on the spot to show it. I'm presuming the Police will probably have powers to seize video evidence of a crime without a Court order or at least be very persuasive.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe this is actionable? The storage yard has an obligation to keep your stuff safe! That's why they have security cameras. When you choose a place to rent, you rely on things like cameras, gated access, secure fencing and such to make your decision to enter into a contract with them. Their decision to not provide what they have sold you is problematic. Slapping a lawsuit on the old company before they close with the new owners might get immediate attention.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sorry you have to go thru this @samplenhold .... what giant Pain the ass. rebuying stuff that was $2500 that has been around for 4-5 years is now probably double? I thought my hand repair was expensive at $3000. but given the options, I'd be glad to have a working hand for $6000....( 3 easy payments of $277 left to go!)

Reaction score
As far as I can teel, no one from the company has even looked at the video to see if there is anything on it. The district manager was just being dismissive. Four units were hit. One was a fairly new Class B that had just rented the spot a week ago. The lady working there (for only 2 weeks) told me that they have left the yard and cancelled their rental of the space.

The brand new Class A that was hit only has damage as noting was taken. The owners had not yet put items in. Don't know the outcome of the other two units.

I talked to HCSO about having them request the video. They said I should call them early in the morning and they will send an officer to meet me there to pick up the video. Now I know that is not going to work as they have not even looked for anything.

They have no real obligation to 'protect' my stuff. I am just renting a space, and their paperwork says they have no liability and I need to be insured. Fine. But I did expect cooperation. I have told HCSO and my insurance company that the yard will not cooperate.

Yes, I could press the issue, make a lawsuit, but for what outcome? We all know that those cams are not going to get a face shot at those distances. They have the cams cycling though views on a screen in the office and I have seen the video. Good quality in daylight. No idea on nighttime quality. But they are overview cams. The only thing that could help is getting a time and day of when it happened. Maybe be able to see how they entered the yard and where they went after.

It would not surprise me if they have a storage unit there and moved everyone's stuff in it for later removal once the gate is operational. The gate does not operate after 10pm until 5am. At another storage facility that I had a unit in, they jumped the fence and cut off the lock and took stuff, moved it into a vacant unit and put their own lock on it. I did not get hit, but many other units did. They only got caught when an employee was doing an audit of what units were vacant that they found the lock on it and cut it off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And we all know that they will have no idea how to use the NVR, so IF they actually have the video it will take forever to pull it up.

Then they won't know how to download it off the NVR, so you will be taking a video of their monitor with your phone LOL :lmao:

Reaction score
Well the storage yard is telling me that they will NOT give me access to the video and will not give me video. They state it is their company policy to only give video to Law Enforcement. But they are in the process of being purchased by another storage yard company, so even though I requested the HSCO to get the video, I doubt it will happen.

Feel like they have something to hide.

Screwed by the thieves and now by the storage yard management.

Still realizing more stuff is missing. Last count was about $2500 worth. But will cost more to replace.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by lawyers. The reason why they won't give you the video is because of potential liability.

Let's assume you get the video and figure out the identify of the perp. Then you track him down, and you wind up killing him when he pulls a gun on you. Guess what? The storage yard company can be sued for providing you with the video that enabled the death of a fine son and father who had his whole life ahead of him.

You were not law enforcement. You had no business taking justice into your own hands. They gave you the means to find him without considering the consequences.

Those security videos are for their use, not yours. They will hand them over to law enforcement, because the police have legal authority to act on them. You do not.