Running wires to NVR

Farmer D

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't decide which route to take when running wires to my NVR.

Option 1 would be to just to connect wires straight through the wall and into NVR. Like so:

CED135WP_02.jpg

Option 2 would be to use keystones and connect NVR to each keystone. My only concern is data transfer speed. Would this affect the data transfer speed at all, as compared to option 1? Is there a noticeable difference? ADeZiLF.jpg

Most professional installations I've seen use option 2. IMO, option 1 looks a bit cleaner.

Thanks all for you input!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If this is for your house, option 1 is fine. If this is for a customers business and they have a network room that looks neat, you would want to use a patch panel.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't decide which route to take when running wires to my NVR.
Hi Farmer,

Option #2 - looks closer to my media center location!

For the data closet I like a nice patch panel.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A wall mount rack and patch panel is better than "option 2", but option 1 is just fine.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both look great. How did you mount that NVR sideways against the wall? That’s what I would like to do as well.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Both look great. How did you mount that NVR sideways against the wall? That’s what I would like to do as well.
We usually pull the cover off and drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the recorder. Then line them up with some drywall mollies or studs of the recorder is wide enough. It kinda makes the recorder less steal-able.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you think you would ever want to move your NVR to a different location (residential, not likely commercial) do take that into consideration as well. Terminating all wires at the NVR will pretty much lock it to that location unless you want to re-run the wires again for re-locating. Would running the wires to a poe switch and then running one wire from the switch to the NVR or via switch/router to NVR not be an option?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are also wall mount brackets that would work for an NVR and you could always use security screws.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Option one is fine imo. Hundreds of installs and I still prefer option one unless an install calls for option 2 for specific reasons/client requested.

I prefer and usually install a wall cabinet or network rack with a patch panel etc... so really option one still is the choice just opening into the inside of the network rack/cabinet etc...
Makes adding wires/cams.

Option 2 you posted was a specific situation where the member here needed low profile install to fit it behind an appliance. Looks great and nothing wrong with it.