Running new wiring cat5 or cat6 and design?

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m looking at rewiring 9 current coaxial locations and at the same time to add in more locations for a full coverage.

It’s a 2 story building, upstairs has a hallway with stair cases at end end. Currently have 4 cameras on 2nd floor and need to add 4 more locations.

Ground floor area of the building has 5 camera locations including the lobby. We are looking to get more coverage around the building and am expecting that we will need to run approximately 10 more locations

my questions are would it be best to go with cat 5 or 6?

how would I know where to potentially utilize a switch to piggy back off and extend additional wiring? Is there a formal design or strategy to it?

the building does currently have some sort of cable management runners that help to hide wiring. However for upstairs wiring Thad been hid behind crown molding and will require some fishing for sure

would like to hear what some of the regular Installers suggest. The location is for a commerical building by the way!

TY!

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most importantly is to use solid copper core and not clad. Secondly cat5e can be easier to pull and make bends. Me personally I would look for quality cable first. I would use cat6 for anything feeding a switch and I wouldn’t hesitate to use cat5e for cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m looking at rewiring 9 current coaxial locations and at the same time to add in more locations for a full coverage.

It’s a 2 story building, upstairs has a hallway with stair cases at end end. Currently have 4 cameras on 2nd floor and need to add 4 more locations.

Ground floor area of the building has 5 camera locations including the lobby. We are looking to get more coverage around the building and am expecting that we will need to run approximately 10 more locations

how would I know where to potentially utilize a switch to piggy back off and extend additional wiring? Is there a formal design or strategy to it?

the building does currently have some sort of cable management runners that help to hide wiring. However for upstairs wiring Thad been hid behind crown molding and will require some fishing for sure

would like to hear what some of the regular Installers suggest. The location is for a commerical building by the way!

TY!
HI ipcamncvr

Price difference between Cat5e and Cat6 very small compared to the labor. I like Cat6 better due to minor price difference and often thicker gauge wire.

Cat5 - no, old standard
Cat5e - good, newer version of Cat5
Cat6 - even better

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply reply.

Where can I find the solid copper core cat5e for best price?

my thinking is that to preventing the bunching up of wires is to use a switch instead of home running. What’s the typical rule of any for doing this right?

I’m assuming the power source is going to be important that there is a electric outlet for the poe switch so I’m working on finding best section.

I am thinking of extending all of the ground floor interior and exterior cameras into the back of the nvr provided that it will provide 30watts since I’m going with motorized lens.

For 2nd floor camera runs I am thinking to plug into a poe switch that can be added to our small rack. And if I heard you correctly this cable run should be cat6 back to the nvr which will be on the ground floor?

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’s definitely an upgrade foe what we are trying to do. I’m in the planning stage for the equipment and want to plan out the wiring

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

TY!
Have you researched the coax /ethernet Baluns that could let you connect an IP Camera over Coax? Perhaps the most challenging runs could be left "as is" with coax with adapters? I have a commerical building too. With 12 existring rg-59 runs. There are a few runs that would nice if I didnt have to pull Cable....
Here's one example.. Amazon.com: Channel Vision IP Camera Balun Converters: Electronics

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought about staying with analog and going the cheap route. But with the expanding makes me think about changing those lines since they are in the same area where the pulls need to be made. A few cctv people I’ve spoke to made it seem like the analog cameras are being phased out. So I thought let’s go ip and rewire.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking up a way to replace a few Analog camera's with POE IP cam's using the existing infrastructure ( 12volt power lines, and rg-59 coax)
Like this

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score