Running From A Small SSD?

Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris in a virtual machine, I was hoping I could install it onto my 5400rpm 1TB virtual drive, but I now want to load it on a small SSD. I've got a small 60GB SSD, could I do a Windows 10 + Blue Iris (nothing else) install on a 60GB SSD then have the recording saved to the 1TB drive? Is there any temp files that are stored on the main install drive or would I run into any issues with only having 15GB or so of available space? As long as I'm recording to the HDD, the SSD won't get hit with many read/write operations will it? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris in a virtual machine, I was hoping I could install it onto my 5400rpm 1TB virtual drive, but I now want to load it on a small SSD. I've got a small 60GB SSD, could I do a Windows 10 + Blue Iris (nothing else) install on a 60GB SSD then have the recording saved to the 1TB drive? Is there any temp files that are stored on the main install drive or would I run into any issues with only having 15GB or so of available space? As long as I'm recording to the HDD, the SSD won't get hit with many read/write operations will it? Thanks!
The database file should be stored on the ssd....running a vm does not allow you to take advantage of hardware acceleration...how many cams are you running? What is their resolution? what processor are you using?

Reaction score
The database file should be stored on the ssd....running a vm does not allow you to take advantage of hardware acceleration...how many cams are you running? What is their resolution? what processor are you using?
The system overall is running fine, so hardware acceleration isn't really needed at this point. It's just a small home security system using 2x 3MP cameras and 2x 4MP cameras, might expand to 2 more eventually. I've allocated 4 cores of one of my Xeon E5-2670 and 8GB of RAM. CPU utilization rarely goes over 60%.

It's not the performance that is bothering me, I've just read bad things about pushing lots of data through SSD's, wanted to see if there was a way to load BI onto the SSD but not have it run all of the recording data through it. I saw a couple similar posts asking why their SSD was pushing so much data through it, but they were a little older.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The system overall is running fine, so hardware acceleration isn't really needed at this point. It's just a small home security system using 2x 3MP cameras and 2x 4MP cameras, might expand to 2 more eventually. I've allocated 4 cores of one of my Xeon E5-2670 and 8GB of RAM. CPU utilization rarely goes over 60%.

It's not the performance that is bothering me, I've just read bad things about pushing lots of data through SSD's, wanted to see if there was a way to load BI onto the SSD but not have it run all of the recording data through it. I saw a couple similar posts asking why their SSD was pushing so much data through it, but they were a little older.
You will have no issues with the ssd...I have blue iris systems running on SSD's that are 3-4 years old..no problems...if you write lots of recorded data you may have issues after many years...there are lots of tests out there that show that ssd's can handle way more writes than they are rated for...Considering that you can buy a 275gb crucial mx300 ssd today for 70 dollars, this should not be a concern at all.