Running both BI as service and as a program

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
When viewing BI live (running the programs user interface) there are two process now running BI System and BI User, so I have a few questions

1) that BI System process is just continuing to do the tasks it was given when it was started, (recording with all the bells and wistles)?
2) that BI User process is taking care of User interface with its associated state machine, graphics for display and playback functions if they are initiated?
3) if playback is initiated by BI User process , any added CPU usage will come from just the BI User process?

thanks,
marty

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Reason I ask is cause I set BI service process to high cause its CPU utilization is low and steady, and think not dependant on BI User process. oh well just playing around.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't have an answer, but a similar observation. Sometimes, especially when applying an update, I notice that the service says "stopped", while under process BI is still running. CPU utilization is still high (50%) and clients logged into the webserver show video. Yet, I have the program set to run as a service.

It's as though sometimes it runs both as a process and a service at the same time. That said, anytime the service is running, I also see the process running. It's just when I right-click on the service, and select "stop service", after about 5 second, it reports "stopped" and the process disappears. CPU drops to near zero, and all BI activity ceases.

It is odd, though it hasn't caused me any grief (other than the occasional update failing since it sees the process still running, it can't write the necessary files).

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Erk,

When BI runs as a service it is its own process. When program is launched from desktop, it is another process. Yes last update isn't normal.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I understand MartyO. When it runs normally, both BI under the service tab is "running" (as Blue Iris Service) as well as under the process tab (BlueIris.exe) - even when the console is not open/running. My point is that when I right-click on the service, and select "stop service" that shuts down both the service (will read "stopped"), and the process disappears. I agree that's how it should function - and nearly always does.

However, on a few occasions, when I go to shut down the service, and it already reads "stopped", but, under process, the >3GB BlueIris.exe is clearly still running (both in terms of CPU and memory utilization, and the fact that I can access the web server via browsers). This is while the application/console is closed/off. That, as far as I understand it, should not happen - unless, of course, you choose to run it as an application, and not a service (which I do not do).

For some unknown reason, BI seems to run as BOTH. That is, shutting down the service doesn't shut everything down. It happens rare enough that I don't care. But, when it happens during an update (and that has happened at least a half-dozen times), the update fails since only the service shut down. At that point, I have to "end task" on the still-running BlueIris.exe process, and then restart the update.

Anyway - didn't mean to hijack your thread.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
its everyone thread, like you input, sorry I didn't understand your details.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Erk,

yeah, update is a little crude at least for me running service. not sure why.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
its everyone thread, like you input, sorry I didn't understand your details.
No problem MartyO - it wasn't anything you said... I just tend to be overly careful as there are a lot of people who wear white shoes that get scuffed really easily. Better to be too nice than misunderstood...