Running BI on a "headless" PC

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m still in the planning stages and slowly making purchases.

The preferred location for a BI computer will be in my mechanical room. This location has easy access to the attic and soffit for running cables.

After initial setup and configuration, If I wanted to run this BI computer in a “headless” configuration with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse does this pose any problems?

My thought was to add a wireless network adapter (different subnet from the cameras) and access the BI computer through Tight VNC. (I am also open to other solutions. Maybe Real VNC or Teamviewer?)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, generally works fine. Lots of us do that. You'll have some overhead from the remote desktop software but other than that typically fairly straightforward. There's a setting under Blue Iris Settings > Cameras tab > Video during Remote Desktop that you'll probably want to change to get better video update. Not sure how WiFi will work, I've always run mine wired. Probably OK as long as running substreams and all as usual.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally this isn't a problem, but there may be times where you will want a monitor if you have to change BIOS settings or watch the boot sequence, etc.

I have several computers (router, automation/DVR machine, BI machine, etc) in a central "wiring closet" and use a KVM switch to view/control them with a single monitor and keyboard/mouse combination. While I use RDP a lot of time to access the computer from another computer, it is also very helpful to be able to get "into" the actual machine when I have to troubleshoot something.

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
Splashtop Personal / Free for local access of up to 5 computers. I started with personal and changed to Splashtop Business to provide support for friends and family.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You may want to look into getting a PC with some type of Out Of Band access, such as Intel AMT with KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) that many HP and Dell business pc's have. This will let you access the PC remotely and watch the boot sequence and access the BIOS settings. Also other useful things like power on/off. As long as the PC has power to it, even if turned off, AMT will work. Be aware though that some flavours of AMT do not have KVM ability, but still allow access to PC status and power on / off functions. Other packages like RDP, Splashtop, TeamViewer, ScreenConnect, VNC etc will work much better once booted into windows, but AMT is great for pre booted access. There are concerns about AMT's security if accessible from the internet, but if you are only connecting via your LAN that shouldn't be a problem.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a monitor that I can connect if I need to watch boot sequence. And I probably have an extra keyboard/mouse that I can leave connected if I wish.

Never heard of splashtop before so I will check it out.

I have a PC on the way (a used business machine) but not sure if it includes AMT. How would I determine this upon arrival and how is AMT licensed or enabled?

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a PC on the way (a used business machine) but not sure if it includes AMT. How would I determine this upon arrival and how is AMT licensed or enabled?

It is a feature built in to the motherboard and usually enabled in the BIOS. It is also called vPro, MEBx, Intel Manageability Engine and probably some other marketing names. Usually motherboards with a Q in their model number indicates some level of AMT support. After being enabled, you will need to set it up usually by a Function key during POST, or from a BIOS menu. No licensing is needed. If it is there it will work. Once setup use something like Intel Manageability Commander to connect to the PC. Usually there is a some access via a browser interface too on port 16992. Some flavours of VNC can also be used to view/control AMT on older versions.

agarb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds useful. I will definitely look for this when the PC arrives. I suupose it only works over the LAN port built into the motherboard and not though any other network adapter, say a wired (or wireless) PCIe card?

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds useful. I will definitely look for this when the PC arrives. I suupose it only works over the LAN port built into the motherboard and not though any other network adapter, say a wired (or wireless) PCIe card?
Yes. Only works with the onboard lan port. I have seen motherboards in the past with 2 ports, one dedicated for the AMT connection, but usually there is a single one.

Reaction score
My system is headless. For remote access, it has Win 12 Pro, which has remote desktop built-in. The OS is unlicensed, but I still get security updates. Just have to live with a small, semi-transparent watermark on the desktop.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you still have physical access to the pc, you can always access it via a monitor, keyboard mouse by simply plugging them in.

I bought a cheap wireless Logitech set for mine for a cost of £20 (probably cheaper in the states), it will store nicely somewhere in it's box and in the meantime, if ever needed, access to the pc locally is a simply as pluging the wireless dongle into a free USB port. As for a monitor locally, nothing to stop you from simply moving one and plugging it in temporarily if needed. An alternative to a monitor is a tv nearby. If it doesn't have a HDMI in, an adapter from Amazon will soon cure that at the pc end. Just plug in a cbale as required.

Remote access is more convenient, but it doesn't prevent local access if needed.

My pc is going to be hidden and headless, but I intend to access it locally as described.