Router

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My router died today, so I need to get out and get a replacement pdq. I haven't researched routers in a while, but I know I haven't been 100% pleased with the Netgear R7000 that just died--sometimes finicky, doesn't tolerate my mistakes very well :D , not relatively easy to set up a VPN, etc. Anyway, I was hoping some of you would help me bypass the research so I can get in the car and go get a replacement...or order online for a tomorrow delivery. What I'd like:

Latest wifi standard (ax right?)
Dual band with solid range
User friendly gui
4 or more gigabit ports

Asus or TPLink most recommended by you all?

Thanks,
Greg

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using an ASUS AC-86u, and very pleased with it, to the point where I would recommend ASUS. My particular model is probably long in the tooth so look for a later version. ASUS tends to make them very suitable for our purposes with good built in VPN support.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Turns out the AC-86u (AC2900) is still available at a pretty good price, though it's newer brother, the AX-86u (AX5700) has more forward-looking new features like a 2.5GB port and wifi 6.

If I were buying a router I would get the newer one, because the cost differential of $80 for some future proofing would be worth it to me, but if you are at all concerned about saving money, the older one is a solid performer still.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing to look at when selecting a router that will be used as a VPN server is the throughput that it can encode outbound. When I was looking at my Asus ac86u this was one of the most important criteria and at the time that router performed very well in a bang for the buck comparison. That was a few years ago now, and there may be plenty of other contenders, so check the specs for outbound VPN encryption to see what sort of throughput the router is capable of.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My router died today, so I need to get out and get a replacement pdq. I haven't researched routers in a while, but I know I haven't been 100% pleased with the Netgear R7000 that just died--sometimes finicky, doesn't tolerate my mistakes very well :D , not relatively easy to set up a VPN, etc. Anyway, I was hoping some of you would help me bypass the research so I can get in the car and go get a replacement...or order online for a tomorrow delivery. What I'd like:

User friendly gui
4 or more gigabit ports

Thanks,
Greg
I have had the best results with Asus too. I have had D-Link, Netgear too but found Asus to be my preference. I have 3 Asus Routers I am no longer using, all works perfect, no longer needed since I went pfSense. I know you are wanting a replacement quick though.

Asus:
RT-AC3200 (AC3200 Tri-Band)
RT-AC66-R (AC1750 Dual-Band)
RT-ACRH13 (AC1300 Dual-Band)

All in original boxes. I think the AC1300 is only a year old. I have been thinking of putting them on e-Bay...

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

User friendly gui
4 or more gigabit ports

Thanks,
Greg
Just noticed you wanted WiFi 6 (AX)