Rotating image loses ~5FPS

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum (and Blue Iris) but I'm getting the hang of it slowly... here's my scenario:

I have a 4k (Annke C800 turret) camera that due to the area I'm looking to cover I'd like to rotate 90 degrees in BI. When I do, I lose about 5fps from the feed, which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't then start delaying the whole feed and having it get minutes behind the rest of the cameras over time.

Originally I used a Wyze v2 camera to cover the same area and rotating that image did not result in any frame drops. Am I correct in assuming this is a re-encoding effect, as since I'm rotating the image BI is re-encoding it? Or, is there something else I'm missing?

To be fair it's only a small irritation as now that I have the substream working right the multi-cam preview stays in-sync... it's only when I solo the cam that the drops occur.

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try rotating the image in the camera gui instead of in BI

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
Try rotating the image in the camera gui instead of in BI
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, this was the first thing I looked for... and was surprised to see that I have a whole bunch of confusing "mirror" options, but can't just rotate the bloody thing 90 deg.:
annkeimage.jpg
Any other ideas? Or anyone who owns a Hikvision-clone and recognizes that interface, any other options I should be looking for?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, this was the first thing I looked for... and was surprised to see that I have a whole bunch of confusing "mirror" options, but can't just rotate the bloody thing 90 deg.:
View attachment 131623
Any other ideas? Or anyone who owns a Hikvision-clone and recognizes that interface, any other options I should be looking for?
My Hikvision-clone (Swann SWNHD-825CAM) has an additional option under there for ROTATE. But I flashed it with current Hikvision firmware (for DS-2CD2032-I) awhile ago; I don't remember if it had the option initially.

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
My Hikvision-clone (Swann SWNHD-825CAM) has an additional option under there for ROTATE. But I flashed it with current Hikvision firmware (for DS-2CD2032-I) awhile ago; I don't remember if it had the option initially.
Interesting... thanks for that tip. I did try the update to the most recent Hikvision firmware (still not sure what the C800 is a clone -of-, outside of the Hikvision "G5" series) for my camera but no dice; still just shows the "Mirror" options. That said I'll keep an eye out for newer firmware if it comes (the latest is from March of this year) in case it adds this feature, which to be honest feels like a bizarre oversight from a UI perspective. Thanks for your post!

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting... thanks for that tip. I did try the update to the most recent Hikvision firmware (still not sure what the C800 is a clone -of-, outside of the Hikvision "G5" series) for my camera but no dice; still just shows the "Mirror" options. That said I'll keep an eye out for newer firmware if it comes (the latest is from March of this year) in case it adds this feature, which to be honest feels like a bizarre oversight from a UI perspective. Thanks for your post!
The C800 turret is basically a Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I however others have discovered some minor differences:
  • maximum 15 fps @ 4K (vs 20 fps on the Hikvision)
  • no microphone on the C800
  • no corridor mode on the C800

Perhaps these are just software limitations, but firmware updates do not appear to change this.

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
The C800 turret is basically a Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I however others have discovered some minor differences:
  • maximum 15 fps @ 4K (vs 20 fps on the Hikvision)
  • no microphone on the C800
  • no corridor mode on the C800

Perhaps these are just software limitations, but firmware updates do not appear to change this.
They're mostly right as the C800 turret does in fact have a mic, but I'm ever the optimist to think something as basic as in-camera rotation might be possible via future firmware. Hope springs eternal. ;)

I appreciate the model to compare against though, thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They're mostly right as the C800 turret does in fact have a mic, but I'm ever the optimist to think something as basic as in-camera rotation might be possible via future firmware. Hope springs eternal. ;)

I appreciate the model to compare against though, thanks!
Generally this is a limitation of the processor in the camera. Some cameras in the past would only allow 90 rotation if you stepped down the resolution. I dont know if this is the case with annke....

null_

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The is exactly the scenario I'm trying to solve for! Unfortunately I don't have a "VCA Resource" option under System Settings. I have an "Enable Dual-VCA" option under Video/Audio though. Any ideas of what "VCA" refers to? That might give me an idea of where to look next... thanks!

View attachment 131728
Have you tried unchecking it. VCA is video content analytics which is basically the smart detection features. Because the 90 degree turn is resource intensive, it cannot be used with smart detection on some cams. Same with smart or + codecs.

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried unchecking it. VCA is video content analytics which is basically the smart detection features. Because the 90 degree turn is resource intensive, it cannot be used with smart detection on some cams. Same with smart or + codecs.
Ah, good to know. It was actually disabled by default and I enabled it to see if it changed anything; still no dice. I'm playing around with turning other things off like WDR in case that has some sort of impact, and I've confirmed that SVC and H.265+ are disabled... I'll report back if anything changes.

null_

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm tapping out on this one. I tried as many combos as I could think of between turning things on and off, changing the stream parameters, even playing with the Mirror settings to see if I could work around the aspect ratio limitations for my use case and no bueno. I don't believe this model has a Rotation option available (yet? hopefully) and no combination I was able to find could get a vertical orientation to work. If BI incurs a performance penalty when it does the rotation, I'll stick with just tilting my head for now. Thanks, all! This was an interesting introduction to the wild world of security cameras. :D

thelaujay

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, i'm observing a similar behavior with two of my 4K cameras that i have rotated 90 degrees via the BI Camera Settings menu. (The cams are set to 4K - 30 FPS on the camera itself).
I'm seeing a Frame Rate drop of 5-10 frames per second during the solo live view. Interestingly, when the camera is not in solo live view mode (ie. a camera group view or all camera view) the Frames per Second stay at 30 FPS
I did look to see if the native camera settings had a flip or rotate mode. It does, however for it to work i'd have to drop the resolution from 4k down to 1080p. Less than ideal, so it looks like i'll live with the frame rate drop while using the BI rotate setting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, i'm observing a similar behavior with two of my 4K cameras that i have rotated 90 degrees via the BI Camera Settings menu. (The cams are set to 4K - 30 FPS on the camera itself).
I'm seeing a Frame Rate drop of 5-10 frames per second during the solo live view. Interestingly, when the camera is not in solo live view mode (ie. a camera group view or all camera view) the Frames per Second stay at 30 FPS
I did look to see if the native camera settings had a flip or rotate mode. It does, however for it to work i'd have to drop the resolution from 4k down to 1080p. Less than ideal, so it looks like i'll live with the frame rate drop while using the BI rotate setting.
The reason why the camera has this limitations is that rotating the image takes lots of processing power. Same thing is happening in blue iris - you are using lots of resources to rotate the image.