Roof party

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This makes no sense...the user interface is virtually the same on the NVR/DVR end.
I was thinking that myself lol like wtf, they aren't gonna be modifying the network, HDCVI probably has a lot less problems though, maybe, I dunno lol.

Fair point but....I've not really had a need to experiment as I'm happy to install powerax. I installed the very first HDCVI cameras that arrived on the market and the word at the time was that in using baluns quality would be reduced (It is but not by much) as well as transmission range especially at 1080P (Not worth installing 600M of network cable to find out it's limited). I require range above all else to view remote areas for criminal activity and uptime is a primary consideration. 95% of my installs are long range wireless IP.
Dahua Video balun spec:
HDCVI
720P: max.400m(1312.34ft)
1080P: max.250m(820.21ft)
4MP: max.200m(656.17ft)

95% are remote wireless? that's very interesting, what kind of scenarios are you having to install wireless almost exclusively?

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This makes no sense...the user interface is virtually the same on the NVR/DVR end.
You of course are correct. I should have written "monitoring and maintaining". Replacing HDCVI cameras and cable can be carried out by a handyman from within that community. Recently a plumber severed a camera cable and simply twisted them together. The cut was only discovered months later by a resident when he ran additional plumbing for a solar install. From a monitoring point of view full frame rate and low latency on the most basic equipment is an advantage for unskilled persons tasked with monitoring cameras along with other duties.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HDCVI probably has a lot less problems though, maybe, I dunno lol.
cvi doesnt have less problems...I dont have any problems with my ip cameras...a garbage install will result in a garbage result...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You of course are correct. I should have written "monitoring and maintaining". Replacing HDCVI cameras and cable can be carried out by a handyman from within that community. Recently a plumber severed a camera cable and simply twisted them together. The cut was only discovered months later by a resident when he ran additional plumbing for a solar install. From a monitoring point of view full frame rate and low latency on the most basic equipment is an advantage for unskilled persons tasked with monitoring cameras along with other duties.
A plumber servicing a camera is a weak reason...the latency on ip is less than a second...irrelevant in the real world except for a few scenarios..
CVI is installed for only two reasons. Its cheaper and it takes less skill to install and therefore installers margins are higher...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
cvi doesnt have less problems...I dont have any problems with my ip cameras...a garbage install will result in a garbage result...
I just meant because you COULD have network issues or something with IP cameras, I never have any problems either, that is why I said maybe, but with HDCVI it's fucking analog, about the only thing that can go wrong is wire gets cut, or something dies lol.

A plumber servicing a camera is a weak reason...the latency on ip is less than a second...irrelevant in the real world except for a few scenarios..
CVI is installed for only two reasons. Its cheaper and it takes less skill to install and therefore installers margins are higher...
HAHAAAAAA, amen, and that pisses me off because I know some of these little camera install companies are probably making a ton of money installing shitty analog cameras and old ass technology that they will walk away from when it's over and not care later when the owner figures out they were sold a bunch of old shit. I know at least one company for sure that states right on their site that they install the system, give you a brief tutorial on using it, and then it's your problem, and they install all analog crap.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HMJGriffon......95% are remote wireless? that's very interesting, what kind of scenarios are you having to install wireless almost exclusively?[/QUOTE]

Cameras monitoring routes used by criminals in mountain fringe areas where they have roamed freely in the past. Most are covert thermal cameras with a few overt regular cameras. Other cameras are within residential areas where criminals are known to pass through. All cameras are wirelessly connected to a community control room monitored 24/7/365. Links are 5km or less. Mostly Mikrotik as it was preferred around 10 years ago. Now a mix including UBNT. We deal with serious and violent crime on a daily basis. Fibre (expensive here) has only recently been available in some areas but costs are borne by community donations so wireless wins.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wrote severed not serviced. The plumber cut the cable while doing plumbing and covered his tracks by twisting the damaged cable together and the system stayed up and running. I don't know about less skill, cost and profit. My work is community service.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wrote severed not serviced. The plumber cut the cable while doing plumbing and covered his tracks by twisting the damaged cable together and the system stayed up and running. I don't know about less skill, cost and profit. My work is community service.
I know what you wrote..I wrote "serviced" as in repaired.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No you didn't. You wrote serviced as in designated repair man. "A plumber servicing a camera is a weak reason" My English isn't that poor.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Recap. As the video above shows, HDCVI can do an excellent job. I have found it invaluable under certain circumstances. Installing IP because one can is not always the best solution. Installing HDCVI does not mean one is IP challenged or indeed a crook with no scruples as suggested above.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Recap. As the video above shows, HDCVI can do an excellent job. I have found it invaluable under certain circumstances. Installing IP because one can is not always the best solution. Installing HDCVI does not mean one is IP challenged or indeed a crook with no scruples as suggested above.
haha, right you are, use the best tool for the job.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like is said there are TWO reasons...one of which is its cheaper...more often then not, the reason is in fact that they are ip challenged.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
@CaliGirl We are a video monitoring company. In the case of this video, we observed these subjects as they walked to the back of this property. We were streaming video from this location to our monitoring center when this incident occurred. We installed this PTZ specifically so that we could follow people when they gained access to the roof. Prior to us monitoring this property, shopes in this shopping plaza had been burglarized several times from the roof.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@CaliGirl We are a video monitoring company. In the case of this video, we observed these subjects as they walked to the back of this property. We were streaming video from this location to our monitoring center when this incident occurred. We installed this PTZ specifically so that we could follow people when they gained access to the roof. Prior to us monitoring this property, shopes in this shopping plaza had been burglarized several times from the roof.
Have they tried to actually block access to the roof? If possible of course.