Roku enters Home Security/Monitoring Business

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is interesting. With prices that are currently better than Ring...for the moment.

It will be interesting to see if they gain enough market share for Ring to reduce their pricing or if this is introductory pricing that will quickly escalate to Ring pricing or higher.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably a smart move for them.

They seem to have adopted Wyze's cams and automation/security products to sell under their brand. Not sure what the exact relationship is. This is the same as the Wyze security starter kit:

I got one very cheap (~$25) when Home Depot was clearing them out. Wasn't very impressed by it. But my main interest was in seeing if I could integrate it with Home Assistant which Wyze doesn't do very well.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that these systems are generally proprietary, but at least Roku allows for self-monitoring. So many of these systems require a subscription to work which means if the price gets too high to pay, or if the company decides to turn off their servers and stop offering the subscription, your hardware turns into expensive doorstops. Luckily, at least at first glance, it appears this isn't the case with the Roku model.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that these systems are generally proprietary, but at least Roku allows for self-monitoring. So many of these systems require a subscription to work which means if the price gets too high to pay, or if the company decides to turn off their servers and stop offering the subscription, your hardware turns into expensive doorstops. Luckily, at least at first glance, it appears this isn't the case with the Roku model.
Keep in mind Ring started like this as well to allow self monitoring and now anyone that buys the system needs to pay for monitoring or they cannot arm/disarm or get alerts from the app.

1691601259742.png

bethzur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Roku set top boxes, and after seeing their software quality, I'd never buy anything from them related to security.