Ring no longer allows unrestriced Police access

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Reaction score
I think the reason Amazon stopped this program was because it wasn't working. Residents had to agree to allow the police access. I'll bet only a very tiny fraction of Ring users ever bothered to grant that permission.

Plus, as a cop I spoke to explained to me, there was no point. He'd just look for nearby cameras, knock on doors, and ask for video. People were happy to provide it. But even then, Ring video is absolutely worthless 99.9% of the time.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another likely contributor is some states require all party consent on audio recording, which may make video inadmissible as evidence. And the homeowner is committing a felony for each instance of an audio recording without consent. If a camera breaks up a recording into separate files, each file is considered a separate felony.

So rather than wading through all the laws in each and every jurisdiction, and potentially getting a homeowner in hot water, they simply revoked law enforcement access.

While I am not a lawyer, live unrecorded audio in a camera feed or doorbell camera might be treated differently. Would be no different than talking to someone on a phone or intercom. One could also argue a visitor pressing the doorbell camera button could be considered implied consent.

Florida is one of those all party consent states, so I disable audio recording on all my cameras.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Laws vary by country, state and local laws. but many will place a sign saying video and audio is being recorded so that people know the audio may be recorded as well. We haven't seen instances of someone getting cited for a Ring doorbell in the USA. The laws that call it wiretapping simply haven't caught up yet to new technology that everyone easily has access to.

In general, the legal types here and elsewhere have said if you can see and hear the same thing you could standing on your property and you have a sign posted, it is fair game. Obviously do not have a camera zoomed and focused in on a bedroom or bathroom or a camera on the 2nd floor zoomed in over a privacy fence to see your neighbor sunbathing in the nude or a parabolic microphone to pick up the private conversations.

But with so many having wide angle cameras, you would see more standing on your porch looking in your neighbors window across the street than with that wide angle cam LOL.

Research the internet or talk to an attorney. These links may help: