Ring Alarms discounted for Prime Day (2020 Oct 13)

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a sticker. The sensor itself is black. I just chose to pop the sticker on there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - I guess I will order now - and hope this outage is fixed before I receive it lol.

1606410164190.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody looking to buy a Ring Security system, do it now or you will be forced to have a subscription...
That is kind of shitty. Takes away one of the key selling points for the system. It was great for those who just wanted a simple self-monitored system without a subscription fee. Going forward I would not know what to recommend for this purpose anymore.

I believe all Ring sensors and keypads, gen1 or gen2, use z-wave and can be paired with third-party base stations (Home Assistant, Hubitat, etc). But then the word "simple" no longer applies to any part of the system. LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus the annual subscription went from $120ish to $200ish not to long ago.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Another issue with the Ring Alarm is it only supports 2 zones - home and away.

Ideally you want 3 zones - Home (perimeter - so you can move around inside but still know if someone forces an external door), Away - full arming so fully protected, Partial - Night time - downstairs & Perimeter armed but upstairs disarmed

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another issue with the Ring Alarm is it only supports 2 zones - home and away.

Ideally you want 3 zones - Home (perimeter - so you can move around inside but still know if someone forces an external door), Away - full arming so fully protected, Partial - Night time - downstairs & Perimeter armed but upstairs disarmed
To clarify, these are called zones but modes or states. The ring alarm does in fact support, home, away or disarmed. This was the case even in gen 1. You can easily choose which sensor you wish to be armed with the respective modes. But yes if you wish to have a downstairs motion sensor on at night then you would have to manually activate it.