Ring Alarm Keypad power

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I plan on hard wiring in wall a ring keypad. The input is a 5V Micro USB that plugs in to the back of the keypad. The standard adapter that comes with the keypad is plug in type. I don't want the eyesore of a cable hanging down and plugging in somewhere, so I plan on running the power up to the plenum. My thought were to use this J4home converter that is used to convert existing alarm systems power 5o 5v Ring power, however I don't have an existing system. In the plenum there is 120V 60Hz power I can tap into but I need a low voltage converter. I assume use the j4home converter on the keypad side and a 120V to 12V DC converter on the power side. Any suggestions on which converter to use? or Any suggestions on another way of doing this?

Josh

Here is the j4home converter im planning on getting

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I saw a video on YouTube where it's done I don't remember the technique used but honestly the battery lasts for 6 months and takes a couple of hours to fully charge I wouldn't bother with it.

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe I saw a video on YouTube where it's done I don't remember the technique used but honestly the battery lasts for 6 months and takes a couple of hours to fully charge I wouldn't bother with it.
Ive read that as well, however Id rather run power and be done with it.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had the Ring gen 2 alarm for almost a year now and so far I've never had to charge the keypad before. I have the LED and volume set to really low and also enabled power save mode.

I would not go through all of that work to run the wire for it but its up to you.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Avoid the dc-dc conversion. I always try to keep it simple. If you need 5 volts, any good quality 2 Amps USB adapter will do the job. Just add an Insulated crimp spade terminal to the USB power adapter (from your existing 120V 60Hz power)

Last edited: