RG6 VS Cat5e

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm installing dh-hac-hfw2221rp-z-ire6 cameras and XVR recorder.

I have Cat5e cable in place, and have passive Balun already, but consider to pull RG6 coaxial cable instead.

Which is recommended, and which will give me the best signal?

I assume coaxial is more difficult to handle over long lengths.

Thanks in advance

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for hd-coax, besides handling as you mentioned, I prefer cat over coax, since it will allow for easy upgrade when needed for ip cams

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
for hd-coax, besides handling as you mentioned, I prefer cat over coax, since it will allow for easy upgrade when needed for ip cams
Thanks can you explain why coaxial is easier when upgrading.

I read somewhere that the core has to be 100% solid copper, otherwise it will not work. Is that correct?

Hard to get here precise spec of the cable that is sold

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sorry for misunderstood, for hd-coax, normally the options are coax or cat5/6. But for upgrading to ip cam (from hd-coax), is easier (and cheaper) to use cat cable. Use pure copper cable, avoid copper clad aluminum

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I added some Analog 2MP 1080P cams on my old system using Baluns and Cat5e. I got a bit of Noise in the image. I have the cable run passing over AC voltage conduits in 3 places. But the Video was passable. I'm thinking maybe Coax might be shielded better, but try the Baluns, and see if the images are clear.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems best quality RG6 + DC I can find here is 30% copper.

Would that suffice for a distance of 35 meter maximum?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
RG6 requires two wires going to the camera. Cat5e requires one wire to the camera. I like fewer wires when pulling them throughout the walls, attic, etc. But I only run IP.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RG6 requires two wires going to the camera. Cat5e requires one wire to the camera. I like fewer wires when pulling them throughout the walls, attic, etc. But I only run IP.
I think over 35 meter the power loss over Cat5e is about 3V

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been researching here in Thailand, and all RG6 cable is copper cladded core. Best I can find is 30% copper, and even not sure if that is the shield or the core.

The DC wires attached are also copper cladded, so that is definitely a no-go, as it will lose almost 4V over a distance of 35 meter when using 1sqmm wire.

Second option is Cat5e UTP, which according to the spec are 24awg solid copper, but no details about the attached DC wires, other than that they are 0.85 sqmm. I had a look at them and thought I could see some silver glare.

I read that copper cladded coaxial core could do the job. They call it the Skin effect, though I only read on the internet, there will be more experience about that on this forum I assume.

So I have decided to buy separate 2x1sqmm solid copper power cable. Now the question remains, which of both signal cables I should go with?