Review Video of the 8mp Hikvision Darkfighter with active deterrence DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For almost 1 month now I have been testing out a OEM version of the Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 2.8mm that I received from one of my suppliers. DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL
actrive.JPG
Similar to the G2 ColorVu turret, this camera has impressed me with the inclusion of Acusense combined with its Darkfighter function. The 8mp day and night captures are impressive to say the least and I have not had any real issues with the camera at all. The active deterrence integration is new for me and after testing it out for a while I can see how It will be very useful in specific applications. Both the flashing LED light and audible alarm, which is fairly loud, can deter or scare a potential criminal if need be.

Overall I have had no false alarms with the camera when it comes to detecting human and vehicle intrusions. As always the Darkfighter inclusion with the 1/1.8th sensor does amazing work in little to no ambient light and is perfect for very dark scenes. Comparative to the ColorVu, which I know is really apples to oranges, in my case where most of my applications are installed in darker scenarios, I would rather utilize a Darkfighter over a ColorVu. Especially with this specific camera, I had to force it out of color mode to test the night capabilities and I still had a very nice picture.

I mounted the camera which has a 2.8mm lens on a CB-135 mount under my eve which gave me a overview of one portion of the driveway.
20210122_204058 (1).jpg
20210122_204113 (1).jpg
20210122205538583_3b1b54c289da49009dc75d15cbd0ad57_D50118463.jpg

I primarily was interested in seeing how well the 1/1.8th sensor could capture at night with ambient light and without, especially capturing at 8mp. From what my testing gathered was that the captures seemed unaffected at 8mp and still produced crisp, clear and well illuminated videos even during harsh lighting conditions.

The overview video I created covers most of this information and id rather not reiterate if on here if necessary. Beware I haven't really edited videos in the last 15 years and they are still very rough around the edges (hopefully I can add some commentary in the near future and improve my editing skills). If anyone has any questions or comments please don't hesitate to leave them here or on my YouTube page. Please check out my video
Make sure you view it in 4k if you have the capability.

My supplier, Arche, is selling this camera and more on her Amazon site: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m trying to remember does this one also include the ability to record your own warning messages?

That’s what I’ve been waiting for on the different ColorVu models. Also does this model have a audio out for external speaker. I ask because some of the internal speakers are simply too low output to be heard at a given distance when there is wind present.

EDIT: Should have watched the video first! Answered both questions about output audio and custom announcements!

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m trying to remember does this one also include the ability to record your own warning messages?

That’s what I’ve been waiting for on the different ColorVu models. Also does this model have a audio out for external speaker. I ask because some of the internal speakers are simply too low output to be heard at a given distance when there is wind present.

EDIT: Should have watched the video first! Answered both questions about output audio and custom announcements!
If you watch my video, at the 5min mark, I demonstrate the options the audible warnings that can be implemented. And yes you can use your own custom alarm if you wish. And no there is no audio out. The speaker is loud enough to be heard over wind.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
At around the 13min mark, there appears to be a bit of ghosting without any help of external lights. I guess this is what I'd be expecting with minimum/little ambient light.

I also wouldn't want to install a flood light due to the neighbours being exposed to it.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At around the 13min mark, there appears to be a bit of ghosting without any help of external lights. I guess this is what I'd be expecting with minimum/little ambient light.

I also wouldn't want to install a flood light due to the neighbours being exposed to it.
It's difficult to capture any usable video in low light / total darkness scenes. I'd always expect some degree of ghosting. It's a hard balance when you need to keep shutter open longer in a scene that has movement. I think this camera does a good job in low light scenarios.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm going backwards and forwards about getting the 4MP ColorVu, 4MP/8MP 2386 or the Dahua 5442.

So far the 2386 has all the features my wife likes, but it sacrifices a bit of low-light quality. Whereas both the ColorVu and 5442 have excellent quality at 4MP — but don't have the 2-way audio features which suit our needs.

Maybe I opt for half ColorVu and half 2386.

It's difficult to capture any usable video in low light / total darkness scenes. I'd always expect some degree of ghosting. It's a hard balance when you need to keep shutter open longer in a scene that has movement. I think this camera does a good job in low light scenarios.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm going backwards and forwards about getting the 4MP ColorVu, 4MP/8MP 2386 or the Dahua 5442.

So far the 2386 has all the features my wife likes, but it sacrifices a bit of low-light quality. Whereas both the ColorVu and 5442 have excellent quality at 4MP — but don't have the 2-way audio features which suit our needs.

Maybe I opt for half ColorVu and half 2386.
The main determination should be getting the correct camera for the area you are trying to cover. We see how close he has to get before the face could be ID'd, and he was approaching much slower and without head movement that a thief would not have - they would be moving much faster. At the end of the day ColorVu, Starlight, Darkfighter, etc. are marketing terms... Look around here for other reviews and comparisions of the Hik versus 5442...

If you have low light, do not go above 4MP. The best combination right now is 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. 8MP on the same sensor will need double the light than the 4MP on the same sensor and even more if it is on a smaller sensor.

In low light, a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor will kick the butt of a 8MP in almost every situation. Just ask my neighbors with their 4k cameras that didn't provide the money shot to get their stolen belongings back, yet my older 2MP camera did capture the money shot that ID'd the thief for the police to find and make an arrest and fortunately still had all the stolen stuff...

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

Excuse the amateur-hour drawing. But here's our floor plan. As you can see we have an allowance for 4x cameras and these are where we'll be placing them. We didn't opt for a 5th camera on the left-hand side due to the house being in close proximity to the fence and the neighbour's house.

There are also a few street-lights opposite us as well as ambient lighting from our neighbour's house (likely to be on/off) throughout the night.

I would classify the street as a low-light street. There's also an unfortunate event of dog-kidnapping around the neighbourhood which is why we're looking for a deterrent-style camera system. By the time we review footage, go to the police etc. It'll be too late :(

I would be looking at a 2.8mm lens for the front 2x cameras for a wider FOV, then maybe a 4mm lens for the rear cameras. Though again, would love a recommendation.

I'm slowly doing more and more research and have kind of narrowed it down to those 3x options, obviously the preference being with a deterrent/decent day/night quality. There's a 4MP 2CD2T46G2 with a 1/3" sensor that could work?

Would happily sacrifice day-time quality for decent night-time quality.

IMG_0209.JPG

The main determination should be getting the correct camera for the area you are trying to cover. We see how close he has to get before the face could be ID'd, and he was approaching much slower and without head movement that a thief would not have - they would be moving much faster. At the end of the day ColorVu, Starlight, Darkfighter, etc. are marketing terms... Look around here for other reviews and comparisions of the Hik versus 5442...

If you have low light, do not go above 4MP. The best combination right now is 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. 8MP on the same sensor will need double the light than the 4MP on the same sensor and even more if it is on a smaller sensor.

In low light, a 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor will kick the butt of a 8MP in almost every situation. Just ask my neighbors with their 4k cameras that didn't provide the money shot to get their stolen belongings back, yet my older 2MP camera did capture the money shot that ID'd the thief for the police to find and make an arrest and fortunately still had all the stolen stuff...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These companies play "games" LOL and people think a 1/3 sensor sounds bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor, but it is a fraction so it actually opposite. A 4MP 1/3" sensor would be horrible and even worse...

I would suggest try one varifocal camera first to get your feet wet and understand how these cameras work. The 5442 series has several varifocals available - a turret style up to 12mm and a bullet style up to 32mm.

The biggest mistake people make is trying to make a camera do too much. A 2.8mm or 4mm camera is a great overview camera to be able to tell that something happened, but anybody more than 10 feet away and realistically you will not be able to ID them.

Take a look at this chart - to identify someone with the 2.8mm lens popular someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his 4 cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system that had fixed 2.8mm or 3.6mm cams - those cams sure looks nice and gives a great wide angle view, but you cannot identify anyone at 15 feet out. At night you cannot even ID someone from 10 feet. Meanwhile, the perp didn't come to my house but walked past on the sidewalk at 80 feet from my house and my 2MP varifocal zoomed in to a point at the sidewalk was the money shot for the police.

Based on what you are showing you are trying to cover, you will be initially amazed at how far out you can see and how much you can see with a 2.8mm or 4mm fixed lens, but you will not be able to identify anyone on the road with that lens. The video above that started this thread shows how close someone needs to be to be useful for other than "yeah, I can tell someone walked by and checked the mailbox, but can't make out a face." Heck I doubt a face could be made checking out that Jeep in the driveway at night without enough light.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
Was just on the phone with a local security company, and they said that the 2-way audio feature of this camera requires an additional wire to enable it. Is this correct? I thought that all features would run through the single Cat5/6 cable — and that the microphone and speaker were all built in.

Is he talking shit?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have this exact camera, but none of mine with two-way audio built in required a second wire. Now for my cameras that did not have built-in, yes, it needed a power source for the input and output line.

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seen this on Amazon UK in 4mm version at £178.95
and on eBay UK at £145.99 for 4mm or 2.8mm.
What would be the pros and cons of each please?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have seen this on Amazon UK in 4mm version at £178.95
and on eBay UK at £145.99 for 4mm or 2.8mm.
What would be the pros and cons of each please?
Field of view is the only difference. 2.88 is wide angle compared to the 4mm

cliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, so am I right in saying the 4mm will give a narrower field of view but a higher quality/bit density for what it does show?
I'm assuming they both use the same sensor?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, so am I right in saying the 4mm will give a narrower field of view but a higher quality/bit density for what it does show?
I'm assuming they both use the same sensor?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Narrow (closer view) won’t change the overall quality per say. You need to identify the actual target distance you expect to see / capture.

Then you can purchase the lens required if not a varifocal camera is the ideal choice as you can adjust till that goal is met.