Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so it was great to learn about how to run IE again, thanks for that.
But, even running IE now, it doesn't seem to make a difference in anything regarding the issues above.
For example, it took about 45 seconds for the initial login screen to appear.
After login I was prompted to run the web addon and said yes, then I was returned back to a login screen and logged in again.
Live view looks good, as before, no issues there.
Search for video playback took 7 seconds this time, reasonable.
Selecting a video for playback takes about 10 seconds to play.
But, I'm still getting choppy video playback now using IE (and I am definitely using IE v21H2, not edge)
So I circle back around. Appreciate the responses and suggestions. I'm assuming, by and large, no one else is having these issues...

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
through a managed POE switch. I'd have to connect a separate power supply and connect it directly to my router.
if you power it seperate then

• make sure you have set it to static ip
  • plugin directly into the lan port of your computer
  • change computer to static ip (same network as camera)
  • check if problem is the same

also: make sure than you are not running any stupid bloatware anti-virus software like norton, avg, eset ...

also disable any vpn like nordvpn, ghost ... if you are using one of these

i had a friend using eset and he could only upload with 100mbit to webserver on gigabit connection... after hours og troubleshooting it was Eset antivirus which does this

Last edited:

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras that have been in service for about 45 days.

Access the cameras from two computers, one Windows 10 and one Windows 11. Computers are connected via Ethernet to a router. The Windows 10 is on a static IP and the Windows 11 is not.

Cameras are connected to a managed POE switch which is also connected to the router.

From either computer using Smart PSS, the live video is on the screen before the sound of the mouse click dies out. The clip playback controls in Smart PSS are simple but responsive.

From either computer using Edge, live video is on the screen four or five seconds after login. Playback of recorded clips is smooth and responsive.

In my opinion you are dealing with a network hardware or configuration issue.

Some things to check: Did you install the RJ45 connectors on your Ethernet cables yourself? Maybe try a different cable? Are the Ethernet drivers on your computer up to date? Is there a chance Windows has changed your network profile from Private to Public?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you power it seperate then

• make sure you have set it to static ip
  • plugin directly into the lan port of your computer
  • change computer to static ip (same network as camera)
  • check if problem is the same

also: make sure than you are not running any stupid bloatware anti-virus software like norton, avg, eset ...

also disable any vpn like nordvpn, ghost ... if you are using one of these

i had a friend using eset and he could only upload with 100mbit to webserver on gigabit connection... after hours og troubleshooting it was Eset antivirus which does this
OK, catching up on the last two suggestions (thanks!)
Duplo, all of my cameras are set to static IP, just my standard. I don't have VPN's running or even set up to be used. I didn't disable my Bitdefender AV but...
I did what you asked and used a separate power supply for the camera and connected the cable directly to my PC (same subnet). Still have Bitdefender running.
This time everything is snappy! No choppy video recordings, no unreasonable lag moving between menus!!!
So I moved my cable to my TP Link AX6000 router directly (still keeping external power to the camera). But everything is slow again, choppy video.
I even tried giving the camera port the highest QOS, no difference.

Kitsap: no this cat6 cable is new, about 2 years old and I had another Dahua camera on it (42212TNI) before I bought this one and it worked flawlessly with playback, menu changing, etc.

Looney2ns: Yesterday I tried switching the codecs to see if there was any improvement, no effect. I've been on 264H for the past day now. I've stayed away from 265 due to some past minor issues with Blue Iris.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I seem to be making some progress. I changed my codec to H264B & turned on smart codec. The playback now is what I'd consider very decent. Rebooted then tried H264 and smart codec. Playback seems even better, maybe normal. Still plugged into my router directly with external power supply. This is the first time I ever turned on the smart codec. Bitrate is CBR and I just upped the bitrate from 6144 to 8192 (can't hurt, right?).
Does changing the codec to smart codec make any sense to anyone? I'm hoping if this works I'll be able to use these settings in BI without problems there :\

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Smart codec and BI will be problematic.

Smart codec overrides some settings and will drop FPS and bit rate even if you set it to CBR and BI will see that as a No Signal error.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Smart codec and BI will be problematic.

Smart codec overrides some settings and will drop FPS and bit rate even if you set it to CBR and BI will see that as a No Signal error.
Will this still be an issue with BI even if I set the camera up in BI to only trigger from the camera's ONVIF triggers? This is my 3rd Dahua camera "watching" the front yard/street so I'm using all of the power of Dahua's IVS to do all of the triggering so BI basically just records what it's told to record. Hopefully that will still work as I've planned.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it will still see it and throw errors. As long as you don't OCD over the yellow triangles you may be fine lol.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I moved my cable to my TP Link AX6000 router directly (still keeping external power to the camera). But everything is slow again, choppy video.
I even tried giving the camera port the highest QOS, no difference.

Your comment about QOS is a red flag. In today's world of gigabit LAN and high speed internet, QOS is a waste of electrons. It also adds significantly to the workload on your router. Recommend you turn it off, restart your LAN in sequence, and check the performance of your camera connections.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Kitsap, I have always had QOS off, never used it, just tried it as part of my troubleshooting. It's off now.
Duplo, thanks for the recommendations.
I have a TP Link AX6000 router, what I consider pretty decent for consumer grade hardware. My switch is a SODOLA SL-2444SGMP-400 48 port switch. Not sure if you'd consider my switch crap or not but I bought it on the recommendation of someone I trust, coupled with my own research. So far, it's been performing well, at least as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I know Ubiquiti is up there in quality, etc., I have a UniFi AP, but their routers/switches are way up there in $$$.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am still suspicious that it has something to do with the codec settings in the camera. I want to use AI (tripwire/intrusion) but when I switch encoding strategy to smart codec or AI codec to use those features the IVS section is gone. Right now I have the encoding strategy to General so I can use IVS features. Clueless why turning Smart or AI encoding strategy causes this issue for me but I'm gonna futz with it and learn what I can going along.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using the AI codec and IVS is there. Are you sure that you're looking in the right place? It's not under Event. Click on the Home icon at the top and then AI.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using the AI codec and IVS is there. Are you sure that you're looking in the right place? It's not under Event. Click on the Home icon at the top and then AI.
No I see it. When I use AI codec, IVS is there but I'm still getting the jittery motion on playback.
I've played around with all of the CODECS. The only codec I can use for video that isn't choppy on playback is Smart Codec, but I lose AI (IVS features!)
I really want to make the playback work without giving up IVS features.
If this thread should continue in a separate thread, please let me know. I was using it because I saw other issues talked about.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've lost track of where you are with this now.

So, live video plays fine even with the standard codec? It's only when you play back from the SD card that you get the delays and "choppy" video?

If so, in that case I wouldn't think that the codec should make any difference. The video is already encoded using whatever after it's been recorded to the card isn't it? The SD card is just serving basically as a file share at that point? i.e., You can copy whatever file directly from the card and view it as an MP4?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've lost track of where you are with this now.

So, live video plays fine even with the standard codec? It's only when you play back from the SD card that you get the delays and "choppy" video?

If so, in that case I wouldn't think that the codec should make any difference. The video is already encoded using whatever after it's been recorded to the card isn't it? The SD card is just serving basically as a file share at that point? i.e., You can copy whatever file directly from the card and view it as an MP4?
Correct, live video looks ok no matter which codec used. Downloaded video to the computer always plays fine with an external video player, no matter which codec was used. The only codec that plays correctly from the SD card is the smart codec but I lose my IVS.
So yes, video copied down is viewable and looks good, just not playing it from the SD card. It's so frustrating.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mike A.

I dont get it. Everything already said:

I did what you asked and used a separate power supply for the camera and connected the cable directly to my PC (same subnet).

This time everything is snappy! No choppy video recordings, no unreasonable lag moving between menus!!!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That makes me think more something related to the card then, either directly or how the cam handles moving data from it. You said you tried another card so unlikely the specific card itself.

Does anyone else have a card in theirs they could test? I'd try it but mine didn't work with the card I put in it and I haven't had a chance to pull it down yet.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That makes me think more something related to the card then
You are telling that the problem is related to the sd card

- direct network connection of camera to pc = no problem viewing recordings on webinterface of camera

- connection to router = choppy video

.. ok i go to sleep now:sleepy::thumb: