Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would someone with this cam check the loggin screen from web browser. Dosent matter chrome Firefox edge. I can't paste password in that field I can on user. All my amcrest and dahua cameras let me do this.
Tried 3 computers . Has to be in the cam...
Thanks

abductors

n3wb
Reaction score
I can also get this next day on Amazon, it’s only $40 more than the fixed focal variant. Is there any discernible difference in image quality over the 3.6mm or is it just down to having variable focus?
Yes I saw that on Amazon, crazy I ordered Saturday night and delivered Sunday morning!

The image quality was initially terrible for 2 reasons compared to my existing T5442s, 1. It was using VBR instead of CBR 2. It was not using smart codec.
Surprised these 2 things made such a huge difference, the image was crazy blurry.
Emailed Andy but never got a response, but hope others don't make the same mistake.

Make sure you don't do VBR codec video record!

$40 tax for varifocal not too bad, I have an existing 5442 that;s just 3.6mm and I like varifocal allowing me to go between step sizes (between 3.6 and 6mm).

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I saw that on Amazon, crazy I ordered Saturday night and delivered Sunday morning!

The image quality was initially terrible for 2 reasons compared to my existing T5442s, 1. It was using VBR instead of CBR 2. It was not using smart codec.
Surprised these 2 things made such a huge difference, the image was crazy blurry.
Emailed Andy but never got a response, but hope others don't make the same mistake.

Make sure you don't do VBR codec video record!

$40 tax for varifocal not too bad, I have an existing 5442 that;s just 3.6mm and I like varifocal allowing me to go between step sizes (between 3.6 and 6mm).
So under Encoding strategy is yours set to Smart Codec? Mine is currently on "General" I am using CBR with a bitrate of 8192 and Iframe of 15 (Frame rate is also set to 15)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So under Encoding strategy is yours set to Smart Codec? Mine is currently on "General" I am using CBR with a bitrate of 8192 and Iframe of 15 (Frame rate is also set to 15)
That's what I got:
1675898774306.png

abductors

n3wb
Reaction score
That got me most of the way there.

However, when looking at the stream or the recording I saw every few seconds the frames would blur and focus again. I don't have this issue on a fixed lens 5442 camera and noticed the only difference was the Smart Codec setting. Review your recordings and look at something fixed like a blade of grass or flower and see if it stays clear for 5-10s.

So to fix the issue I had to change Encoding Strategy to "Smart Codec". Left the FPS at 15 but dropped bit rate to 4096.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

However, when looking at the stream or the recording I saw every few seconds the frames would blur and focus again. I don't have this issue on a fixed lens 5442 camera and noticed the only difference was the Smart Codec setting. Review your recordings and look at something fixed like a blade of grass or flower and see if it stays clear for 5-10s.

So to fix the issue I had to change Encoding Strategy to "Smart Codec". Left the FPS at 15 but dropped bit rate to 4096.
Be sure you are not on VBR. That sounds like an issue when the bitrate drops.

If you are using Blue Iris, it will not like Smart Codec. Smart Codec can drop iframes down low and reduce bitrate and can be problematic with motion detection.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I bought my Varifocal 5442 to setup Fixed-Lens 5442 CAMs. It was suggested here to have a Varifocal when finding/testing placement/location. This allowed me to verify which fixed lens worked best for each location. I do not have any recordings/footage from my Varifocal, since all my CAMs are Fixed. I don't even remember messing with any settings.

I know there has been mention/post about it best to stay with Fixed Lens CAMS, maybe they were experiencing the blur you mentioned.

trdcorolla

n3wb
Reaction score
Can this camera be used sitting on a shelf upside down looking out to the driveway? Looking to put it on a shelf in my garage in front of my cars in the garage that's about 6 feet off the ground. Would the 2mp 2.8" IPC-T3241T-ZAS be a better use of money, or if that's too nice for garage use the IPC-K42A cube? I was thinking of one of the 5442 or 3241 for the shelf and a IPC-K42A cube wall mounted on the opposite side of the garage just to see the door to the house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can this camera be used sitting on a shelf upside down looking out to the driveway? Looking to put it on a shelf in my garage in front of my cars in the garage that's about 6 feet off the ground. Would the 2mp 2.8" IPC-T3241T-ZAS be a better use of money, or if that's too nice for garage use the IPC-K42A cube? I was thinking of one of the 5442 or 3241 for the shelf and a IPC-K42A cube wall mounted on the opposite side of the garage just to see the door to the house.
Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk

Review-Dahua IPC-K42A 4mp Indoor Cube cam 2.8mm | IP Cam Talk