Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually looking again I don't think that it was the connector. That looked dry and I did have grease on it. But I put the unit on a table and when I picked it up, water came out where I had it sitting face down. I think what happened is that I had it turned so that the longer "visor" that's normally at the top was turned upside down and tipped up trying to see if that would reduce the hot spot closer on the ground. Looks like water collected there and seeped into it. So I guess don't turn them that way.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure that you tape up the connector for these. I lost one last night when we got some rain. Hadn’t finished mounting yesterday and left it up without. Dead this morning. Kind of surprised but my bad. Should have just left it unplugged.
I know this is no longer suspected as the failure, but on the subject of tape, I've been pretty happy with this self-sealing silicone tape:

In fact I think it was recommended to me by someone here at IPCamTalk.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Not the same model, every 4-watt tendelux illuminator I bought ended up with water inside, and in every case it was repairable.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That shouldn't happen, I'd check with Tendalux about a warranty replacement.
Yeah, wouldn't think so. But I sprayed it black as soon as I got it so can't just return it to Amazon. Maybe send them a note and see what they say.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not the same model, every 4-watt tendelux illuminator I bought ended up with water inside, and in every case it was repairable.
Thought about that but can't see how these come apart. No obvious screws or anything holding it together.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I liked this DI10 IR illuminator enough to purchase another one. However, having just received it I'm a little perplexed. First thing I notice when I open the box is a FOB remote control. Okay, maybe a new improvement over the original design. Next, I pull out the illuminator to see a little plastic box in the middle of the power cord. Not okay, it's CLEARLY not water proof whatever it is. I plug it in and guess what....no IR light even though it's dark where I'm testing it. Come to find out you have to use the clicker to turn it ON or OFF. The little box contains a relay and a receiver. Click A to energize the relay to turn the thing ON. Click B to turn it OFF. Click it ON, unplug the power cord to simulate a power outage then plug it back in. Guess what, the relay is no longer energized and the only way to get the IR illumintor back ON after restoration of power is to manually click A. And to make this even more hilarious, the location of where the photo cell on the back of the illuminator is has an opaque rubber plug in it. In other words, there is no photo cell so the only way to turn this ON or OFF is to used the clicker. Yeah, I'm going to manually turn it ON every day and after every power outage. Uh....no! I was just going to remove the relay box to bypass but there is no photo cell. Did I say....I'm perplexed?

1675610388124.png
1675610467520.png
1675610506912.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I just noticed this: from a link on the DI10 page. Looks like Amazon may have effed up and sent the wrong to me.....dummies!!!! So I ordered the normal DI10 again. Gonna be pizzed if they send me the DI10V again. To Amazon's defense I do see that the box they sent me is labeled DI10 and not DI10V.

1675612168126.png

1675612424858.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it. I wanted to get another and noticed that the regular D10 was unavailable for a little while. Glad to see they're back. Hopefully not back because they have mismarked stock and they're sending out what you got.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it. I wanted to get another and noticed that the regular D10 was unavailable for a little while. Glad to see they're back. Hopefully not back because they have mismarked stock and they're sending out what you got.
Yeah, I saw one more in stock when I posted above. I ordered it so we'll see if it's another mismarked one. Had no idea there was a V version so I was confused because the product I ordered didn't mention anything about a remote. I'm like WTH...LOL.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious to see what you get. It shouldn't matter what the box says as far as a general product labeling. The barcoded Amazon number that also should be on the box should distinguish the two. If someone somewhere has screwed that up, then it will be a mess. I went though that with another product. Was a crapshoot what you'd end up with.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I liked this DI10 IR illuminator enough to purchase another one. However, having just received it I'm a little perplexed. First thing I notice when I open the box is a FOB remote control. Okay, maybe a new improvement over the original design. Next, I pull out the illuminator to see a little plastic box in the middle of the power cord. Not okay, it's CLEARLY not water proof whatever it is. I plug it in and guess what....no IR light even though it's dark where I'm testing it. Come to find out you have to use the clicker to turn it ON or OFF. The little box contains a relay and a receiver. Click A to energize the relay to turn the thing ON. Click B to turn it OFF. Click it ON, unplug the power cord to simulate a power outage then plug it back in. Guess what, the relay is no longer energized and the only way to get the IR illumintor back ON after restoration of power is to manually click A. And to make this even more hilarious, the location of where the photo cell on the back of the illuminator is has an opaque rubber plug in it. In other words, there is no photo cell so the only way to turn this ON or OFF is to used the clicker. Yeah, I'm going to manually turn it ON every day and after every power outage. Uh....no! I was just going to remove the relay box to bypass but there is no photo cell. Did I say....I'm perplexed?

View attachment 153173
View attachment 153174
View attachment 153175
Darn - I was hoping that was for the laser to turn the perp into vapor LOL

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the DI20. Damn that thing gets hot!
I keep looking at those but always end up buying the DI10. How much of a practical difference is there between the two? I've been reluctant to get one mostly because the IR "hot spot" created by DI10 can be too much as it is depending on angle/distance/etc. Most of mine I've tipped to point way up to tone that down some.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep looking at those but always end up buying the DI10. How much of a practical difference is there between the two? I've been reluctant to get one mostly because the IR "hot spot" created by DI10 can be too much as it is depending on angle/distance/etc. Most of mine I've tipped to point way up to tone that down some.
Honestly, the reason I'm buying another DI10 is to replace the DI20 due to exactly what you said. HOT SPOT issue. I've got it pointed way up too. I need to measure the temp of the filter lens on the front to see how hot it gets. Then, if not too bad put some diffusing material on it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I guess if you had an application where your interest is longer reach it would be better. None of mine are all that far out. Even the DI10 lights up the house across the street.

Thanks, saved me the extra $10.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I guess if you had an application where your interest is longer reach it would be better. None of mine are all that far out. Even the DI10 lights up the house across the street.

Thanks, saved me the extra $10.
Yes, if you are trying to look down close to where it is mounted it's hard to avoid the hot spot. I have to point mine way out in the woods otherwise I get a big ol' hotspot where I marked....LOL

1675705710812.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, angled down to grass like that is what I was talking about. If you have a view where they're pointed more straight out and/or tipped up some not so bad. I've moved most of mine higher too more like an overview vs point-source.

But guess it's better that they're brighter vs not. Can always tone it down some in various ways, can't make it stronger.