Review: EZVIZ DB1C

MJDAVE14

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed 4 of Ezviz DB1 and they are not stable. Doesn't stop ringing when configured on several phones, when someone has press the button it will ring all till you answer all. There no way to acknowlegde that 1 has answered so to notify others/ acknowledge its been answered. They keep have to reset after awhile. Also the app lacks features unlike RING where it has different ring tones,Volume

bcre3306

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry yes it's the iOS app. I can't figure out how to figure out the firmware version in version 5.x of the iOS app, only thing I can figure out is to turn on auto firmware upgrades.

ghost

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried the reset button? Remove faceplate and press reset button for 10-15 seconds.
Thanks, I've tried the reset button, unfortunately no change, there is a small red LED flashing above the reset button but the main "bell" button remains dark. Appreciate any other thoughts (and will report back if/when I determine the issue).

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I've tried the reset button, unfortunately no change, there is a small red LED flashing above the reset button but the main "bell" button remains dark. Appreciate any other thoughts (and will report back if/when I determine the issue).
I would double/triple check the way it’s wired. Check out David’s 101 New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

victorhooi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new discreet IP camera doorbell, that does constant recording, with good image quality.

It seems like the EZ VIZ DB1C is the favoured doorbell camera at the moment right? Or is there a new "best" camera out there? (I did see the dbell and Doorbird - they're a little more expensive - but I heard reports that the Doorbird image quality is not actually that good. Also, it's quite a bulky/hefty unit, and I want something very discreet/thin if possible).

The two main limitations of the DB1C I can see are the lack of POE, and the lack of ONVIF.

For the first one - is there a POE - to - DC adapter/injector that people can recommend, that works with the DB1C? This will make it easier, where I can just wire this across directly to my POE switch. (The data will still have to go over Wifi, of course).

For the second - lack of ONVIF - assuming you have the RTSP endpoint, and are OK entering this in manually for initial setup - are there any other issues caused by the lack of ONVIF support?

Anything else I should be aware of?

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anything else I should be aware of?
Depending on your situation maybe the lack of a PIR sensor. I use Synology Surveillance Station which has improved by leaps and bounds the past couple years but I still do not bother with its software motion detection; I use my cameras instead and the PIR sensor on the DB1 works flawlessly for me. But my doorbell's in a covered area so I don't have issues with trees and stuff causing false positives.

Glad I saw this review, seems like it's not worth the upgrade (lateral move IMO).

mangler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Am I going crazy? I am using version 5.0.1.0322 of the EZVIZ app. I can't seem to find the motion alert trigger options anymore (people detection, motion detection, select motion area etc.). I swear it was there before, under a little guy walking symbol, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Did they remove that feature?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Am I going crazy? I am using version 5.0.1.0322 of the EZVIZ app. I can't seem to find the motion alert trigger options anymore (people detection, motion detection, select motion area etc.). I swear it was there before, under a little guy walking symbol, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Did they remove that feature?
Settings -> Alarm Notifications

mangler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any way to set the sensitivity for human shape detection? I turned off image change detection trigger to give my SD card a break, but right now it only detects humans maybe 10ft away, edge of the porch. Ideally it could detect humans out to the parking lot 30-40ft away.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Any way to set the sensitivity for human shape detection? I turned off image change detection trigger to give my SD card a break, but right now it only detects humans maybe 10ft away, edge of the porch. Ideally it could detect humans out to the parking lot 30-40ft away.
Alarm notification -> Motion Detection Sensitivity. Can also change the area in looks via Motion Detection Area.

itm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What external service(s) does the DB1C rely on for sending notifications to Android phones? I just got a Blurams doorbell which never notifies me when someone actually presses the doorbell, and the manufacturer is pointing the finger at the Google push server, so I want to avoid anything that also uses Google push for alerts if possible.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What external service(s) does the DB1C rely on for sending notifications to Android phones? I just got a Blurams doorbell which never notifies me when someone actually presses the doorbell, and the manufacturer is pointing the finger at the Google push server, so I want to avoid anything that also uses Google push for alerts if possible.
Many use a relay to capture the DB button pushes, there are many ways to do this (The Sage Sensor is popular with many who have Zigbee Hubs like SmartThings/Hubitat) from our DOORBEL101:

OTHER SOFTWARE TO CONSIDER:
Monocle (Alexa) - pete_c - scroberts72 - pete_c
tinyCam Pro, Link for those using ActionTiles (Android), JPG Snapshot in tinyCam Pro - aralos1999
MotionEye Wiki , MotionEyeOS, MotionEye Android (No Audio - Pilot04)
HomeBridge (iO/S), HomeBridge FFMEG Plugin

OTHER HARDWARE TO CONSIDER:
FRENCK (USA) Relay (Works with Home Assistant)
Xiaomi Aqara Door Window Sensor Zigbee Wireless Connection (Works with Home Assistant) - Olddawg
Finder (EUR) Relay, 344Mhz Transmitter - KlaverBoer, KlaverBoer / Finder (EUR) Relay, 344Mhz Transmitter - Jack007
uxcell (BC) Ice Cube Relay - Ford
Doorbell Monernizer (EUR) - Fietspomp
⦁ Sage Sensor - TechBill - alexdelprete - TechBill - Techbill's Forum/Thread (Sage with SmartThings)
ELK-960 Delay Timer, ELK930 Doorbell Detector - pete_c
⦁ ELV Homematic (EUR) Doorbell Sensor (Works with Homematic Hub/Bridge) - Riza-Aslan
⦁ Current Sensing Switch Z-Wave Plus (SZC23-NO-AL-CH Model) - tommyd75, tommyd75, tommyd75 - planetix - Konnected Alarm Forum - pete_c
⦁ In Addition to the above Current Sensor Switch and for those without a Smart Alarm System like Konnected - Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 MultiRelay (ZEN16) - phatboyj

HTH

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mangler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alarm notification -> Motion Detection Sensitivity. Can also change the area in looks via Motion Detection Area.
I am wondering if that also impacts person detection. I guess i can try it and see, but it looks like it is sensitivity for image change/motion, not person detection.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am wondering if that also impacts person detection. I guess i can try it and see, but it looks like it is sensitivity for image change/motion, not person detection.
I don't know. I don't find person detection reliable anyway. Is it supposed to detect a person inside the painted yellow area or outside the painted yellow area? If it's only inside the painted yellow area, then mine is broke because I get people detected outside the yellow area.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't find person detection reliable anyway. Is it supposed to detect a person inside the painted yellow area or outside the painted yellow area? If it's only inside the painted yellow area, then mine is broke because I get people detected outside the yellow area.
I gave up on the people detection for the same reason, kept triggering on cars passing through frame outside of the defined detection area. BI + Deepstack does a way better job.

Reaction score
That's not really true, the problem is the H265 stream. Google Nest Hub can't display those properly.

To get it working I had to change Channel 2 stream to H264 and relay it through home assistant.
It might work if you change Channel 1 to H264 and use ezviz google home integration, but then you lose any advantage of smaller recording that H265 brings.

You can change the stream encoding mode in Batch Configuration tool.

Old photo from testing mid November :
View attachment 84489
Can you please share how you have configured the camera in home assistant?
I have changed the secondary stream to H264 (low quality), which I think it already was. But for the 'generic'-camera I'm missing a still image.
That said, when I integrate the camera using the channel 102 (which is the H264 stream, confirmed by debug information of a phone app I use), I still can't stream to my google nest hub (max):

When setting a bogus still_image, I can see the live stream in home assistant, but it doesn't work with the 'camera.play_stream'-service and the following data:
Code:
entity_id: camera.db1c
media_player: media_player.nest_max
format: hls
Without the format no difference. The Nest Max does 'try' to start but it just fails (never shows pictures).

My current camera configuration in home assistant:
Code:
- platform: generic
    name: db1c
    still_image_url: http://IP-address/ISAPI/Streaming/Channels/102/picture # doesn't work unfortunately
    stream_source: rtsp:/admin:<password>@<ip-address>:554/Streaming/Channels/102

victorhooi

n3wb
Reaction score
@biggen Hmm, this earlier thread mentions that the EZVIZ DB1 can run on 24V DC as well:

Does anybody know if this is true for the DB1C?

Is there some way of powering it off POE, and if so, which injector should we be getting?

Or if not, is there a specific power supply that people know to be reliable/stable?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
@biggen Hmm, this earlier thread mentions that the EZVIZ DB1 can run on 24V DC as well:

Does anybody know if this is true for the DB1C?

Is there some way of powering it off POE, and if so, which injector should we be getting?

Or if not, is there a specific power supply that people know to be reliable/stable?
That would be opposite what the specs say: EZVIZ - a global smart home security brand

Would be interesting to get confirmation.