Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, I'll figure it out, I think! Deep IVS -> Rule Config just keeps saying "Please draw now."

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to keep tracking a subject instead of being called off by a detection, when using spotter cams and a Dahua NVR?
I THINK I read that you can't, but I can't find the exact posts I read that in, so figured I'd ask again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to keep tracking a subject instead of being called off by a detection, when using spotter cams and a Dahua NVR?
I THINK I read that you can't, but I can't find the exact posts I read that in, so figured I'd ask again.
You can do that with BI when you are ready to make the jump lol

mastec

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have the Dome DH-SD49425XB-HNR I managed to dowgrade to firmware version V2.800.0000009.3.R.P9.2522.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-31
But it doesn´t have autotracking , I saw some post saying that firmware version 2.800.1341000.0.R, Build Date 2020-03-12 has autotracking capabilities , but I can´t manage to find that version of firmware.

Can someone help me with this ?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: manage to get this Custom Firmware
V2.800.107J000.0.T.P9.2522.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-10
And it´s Working

Last edited:

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To my surprise yesterday I saw a new message on my oldest cam, which is 439 days in use. "PTZ longevity warning." "It is recommended to stop PTZ action." Googling this error shows the Dahua has actually programmed these (and all Dahua to my reading) to stop working once they hit a PTZ limit. I emailed Andy to see if this limit can be removed. I actually expected to get five years or longer life out of these cameras compared to generic PTZ cams.

Yes I'm aware that the general consensus is to use spotter cams, but we decided to just use our five PTZs in this manner. If I new about this limit, I would have gone with the spotter cams as well. But probably the wife would have nixed the whole project.

So now I'm at the point were I need to somehow "fix" the limit and I need to source the parts so I can repair the PTZ functions when they do actually break. And probably change my thinking and add spotter cams as well.

Any ideas on where I can source the parts?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To my surprise yesterday I saw a new message on my oldest cam, which is 439 days in use. "PTZ longevity warning." "It is recommended to stop PTZ action." Googling this error shows the Dahua has actually programmed these (and all Dahua to my reading) to stop working once they hit a PTZ limit. I emailed Andy to see if this limit can be removed. I actually expected to get five years or longer life out of these cameras compared to generic PTZ cams.

Yes I'm aware that the general consensus is to use spotter cams, but we decided to just use our five PTZs in this manner. If I new about this limit, I would have gone with the spotter cams as well. But probably the wife would have nixed the whole project.

So now I'm at the point were I need to somehow "fix" the limit and I need to source the parts so I can repair the PTZ functions when they do actually break. And probably change my thinking and add spotter cams as well.

Any ideas on where I can source the parts?
That is common with other autotracking PTZs, not just Dahua. There are several posts throughout this forum of people getting that same warning.

Wow 439 days means you must have it on auto patrol constantly moving. Did it pop up a number of cycles? Somewhere on here I thought someone said it is 500,000 cycles.

The limit is hardcoded in the motherboard/firmware. From a parts standpoint, nothing breaks when this limit is reached, so the PTZ would still continue to work if that limit didn't shut down tracking, so there are not parts per say to fix the limit, except a new motherboard or if Dahua can override the code.

There have been some posts here with older models that Dahua was able to unlock that limit, but I haven't seen anyone approach that limit here on this model and if it can be unlocked?

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
In my opinion, people who use these cameras with that constantly patrol enabled, they should be worn about this.
I have two cameras on each side of the garage, and the ptz on on corner of the garage. I can see the whole front of the house and track what is moving. I don't see the need to patrol.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
This is not acceptable for such a new camera no matter what use it's had, a camera of this age should not be getting an end of life warning that is bollocks. An Authorized seller here in the UK will give a minimum of 3 years and 5 year warranty on most their PTZ range. Grey market/Imports are different and Dahua will not want to get involved so it would be up to the seller who sold you the camera's to get involved to get it fixed.........good luck with that!

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, for Dahua to disable a functionality that is still working is terrible. I can understand if they won't warranty it after it hits that limit, just like SSD manufactures, but to just to have the software stop using the feature is wrong. I researched the cameras before purchasing and I saw nothing about a limited PTZ cycle limit. SSD manufactures give you a Total Writes Per Day that averages out of it's 5 year warranty period.

I've emailed Andy, I'll see what he says. Hopefully his engineers can release a modified firmware that removes the limit. I'll need to double check, but didn't these cameras have a two year warranty through Andy?

The cameras are running 24x7 patrol using BI, moving to each zone every 7 seconds or so.

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd imagine that cancellation of ptz warranty (as defined upfront by them defining a warranteed cycle number) would make sense, but if the owner then wants to open-up and service their camera, and have it continue to function, that should be up to them. They own the product. And opening the product itself here (United States) is not enough to void any remaining warranty.

Of course country-specific consumer protections will further define what is acceptable. If Dahua had a 3-year warranty for country-specific markets, and they don't define exclusions in the warranty terms (contract), then they would still be required in many jurisdictions to service or replace the unit, even if it had "too many" ptz cycles. The question often comes down to the cost of litigation if the company refuses, and breaches the warranty contract. Here in the US, the cheapest recourse is small claims, even for them bricking the ptz after so many cycles. Beyond that, it's often the reason why class action lawsuits get filed, instead of individual lawsuits that would cost more than the product.

Buying through Andy, I believe we get a lower 1-year warranty, although he/they have been helpful well beyond this period of time. It would be nice to see a modified firmware.

Last edited:

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Digging through Dahua's web site for this camera does not show any limitation for PTZ cycles. I mean if I have a hard drive that is still working after 16 years, with that mechanical arm moving back and forth over the platters 24x7, then really, a properly designed PTZ should last many years as well. To have some hard coded artificial limit is ludicrous. Imagine the uproar if Tesla disabled your car's steering after it was out of warranty, either by range or years.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Imagine the uproar if Tesla disabled your car's steering after it was out of warranty, either by range or years.
Actually wouldn't surprise if Tesla did that LOL. They disable other stuff...