Review-Dahua/EmpireTech Dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (The Boobie Cam Upgrade)

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
They are the torx type screw heads that are used to adjust similar to what the bullet or turret cams use, so not a simple flat head or phillips head.
Thank you! That's perfect. When I have the camera in my hand, I'll try to design some kind of way to further secure it. I'm considering mounting it may as long as knee height. The strategy is to not make it obvious that it's a camera in the first place.

Modern problems require modern solutions!

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at this camera now to be the 1st camera in my new BI system. I'm assuming I need the 2.8 version for my use. Outside looking at my front door, to the left is a window then a double door entrance, the span of the window and doors is about 100". My roof overhang over the porch is 80". The camera can be mounted anywhere on the wall perpendicular to the window. Attached is a rough drawing. What would be the best lens and what would be the best height to mount the camera? I would like to have one point down for packages and the other point out looking at the walkway to my porch. Any reply will be appreciated, thanks!
I ended up going a different route instead of getting the booby cam I got the wedge cam (IPC-E3541F-as-m 3.6mm) changed the video setting to flip 90deg so its basically used to see packages at my door and also installed a Dahua doorbell cam VTO-2301R-P. So far they work great together. Usually they see the doorbell cam right away since its by the door and I have it in a decorative enclosure so will often turn away from the cam, but I have the wedge cam on the side wall/corner that is not noticeable at first and they end up lookng right at it... I have both added to my Blue Iris setup so even if they dont ring the bell I get a notication... heres a sample of the wedge cam video...1677994135510.png

Attachments

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
How hot is this camera running? I want to 3D print something to camouflage it but don't want it to overheat.

I live in a hot, humid climate. Think South Florida and a bit warmer than that.

Also considering using a plant on a hanger to hide it if the 3D printing idea doesn't pan out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It gets a little warmer than most cameras since it has essentially two cameras running on the same processor as one camera. I thought people said in the 130F range.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
It gets a little warmer than most cameras since it has essentially two cameras running on the same processor as one camera. I thought people said in the 130F range.
Wow. Okay, that rules out trying to hide it in some kind of enclosure. I have a few more idea which would provide some rain cover and camouflage.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll plug mine in and let it run for an hour and measure it.
This new version does run cooler than the original as I recall. But I'll check.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got side tracked, so after almost 3 hours, ambient temp in garage is 62.5f or 16.9c
Camera base temp is 90f, or 32.2c.
Camera case between the two lens, 85f or 29.4c
This was measured with both cams IR on.
@CanCuba

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you so much, @looney2ns! I appreciate you taking the time and effort to follow up. To say nothing of also providing the readings in Celcius!

Cheers!

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know know the procedure to change the lens on these cameras,? I dont want to damage them just trying anything

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know know the procedure to change the lens on these cameras,? I dont want to damage them just trying anything

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj, I should have found that on a search really.

rodb

n3wb
Reaction score
Something to consider is the decrease in the field of view in this upgraded version. I replaced my older 2MP version and lost some coverage. A few degrees makes a difference.

IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M 2.8 mm H: 110°, V:60°
IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 2.8 mm H: 95°; V: 52°

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Finally got around to playing with the camera and I'm having some issues:

1) Can't get the actual bitrate above 2k. I've changed the encoding to General, h.264H, CBR, 15fps, 15 i-frame, 8192kbps for the main streams on both channels. NVR is showing no more than 3k incoming from each channel.

2) Face detection (which is the sole purpose of this camera) on channel 2 is much, much less sensitive than channel 1. I put a 6mm lens in channel 1 and an 8mm lens in channel 2. This may account for some discrepancy but I doubt it. In my previous experience with Dahua face detection, as long as the face is in the frame, it should be detected.

I've updated the firmware to the latest on the Dahua page (DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_E2_V2.840.0000000.18.R.220629) but no improvement with either of the above issues.

Can anyone provide any guidance?

Cheers

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe your field of view the camera isn't thinking it needs more bitrate?

I think part of the issue, which was even more prevalent with the original boobie cam, is I think the processor in it is the same as if there were only one camera, so both cameras are competing for the same limited resources.

I have two of the original boobie cams and were just recently retired and upgraded to newer cams. I may put them somewhere else as just redundant overview coverage, but I found the benefit to be the smaller form factor of two cams in one, but I never thought the picture quality was comparable to a single camera of same MP and focal length.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe your field of view the camera isn't thinking it needs more bitrate?

I think part of the issue, which was even more prevalent with the original boobie cam, is I think the processor in it is the same as if there were only one camera, so both cameras are competing for the same limited resources.

I have two of the original boobie cams and were just recently retired and upgraded to newer cams. I may put them somewhere else as just redundant overview coverage, but I found the benefit to be the smaller form factor of two cams in one, but I never thought the picture quality was comparable to a single camera of same MP and focal length.
That makes a lot of sense re: single processor

With the latest Dahua firmware, things seem better. Only issue is the bitrate. I hooked up the same and put some motion into the frame and there was no change in the bitrate so that lends credence to what you're saying about a single processor.

I dropped to 5fps and now both channels are equally sensitive to face detection. Good news since this is the sole use for this camera in my setup.

5fps should be enough for what I want it to do. It will be doing face capture at a maximum distance of 5.5m (18 feet). With the lenses I've installed, it should be over 600ppm which is almost triple what identification requires.

I would have gone with a Color4K-180 but that model doesn't do face detection. Unfortunate as it would have been perfect for the location.

Cam should be going up tomorrow so we'll see what happens!

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@CanCuba I dropped my frame to 5fps exactly as you suggested, for much of the same reasons. I believe that adjusting frames per second is the best tool we have, given the limitations of the single processor.

I have two of the original dual-lens cameras, and two of the upgraded model. One of my other frustrations with them is the lens that pretty much prohibits using the internal IR illumination LEDs. I was excited when I first saw the new 180-degree cameras like the IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2-ASTE that don't have the domes over the lenses & LEDs, but the new models all appear to only use visible, while light LEDs rather than the more traditional infrared LEDs that I prefer for not drawing attention to the camera. To use one of these new models, I'd want a 180-degree IR setup, which I do today with two separate IR emitters, but does anyone know of a single IR illuminator that would support these older models or the newer ones?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
@CanCuba I dropped my frame to 5fps exactly as you suggested, for much of the same reasons. I believe that adjusting frames per second is the best tool we have, given the limitations of the single processor.

I have two of the original dual-lens cameras, and two of the upgraded model. One of my other frustrations with them is the lens that pretty much prohibits using the internal IR illumination LEDs. I was excited when I first saw the new 180-degree cameras like the IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2-ASTE that don't have the domes over the lenses & LEDs, but the new models all appear to only use visible, while light LEDs rather than the more traditional infrared LEDs that I prefer for not drawing attention to the camera. To use one of these new models, I'd want a 180-degree IR setup, which I do today with two separate IR emitters, but does anyone know of a single IR illuminator that would support these older models or the newer ones?
I don't believe that camera can "see" IR as they're designed for 24/7 colour. If you have an IR illuminator, put the camera in B/W and see if the illuminator makes any difference.

My location doesn't require IR fortunately at the lenses are basically turned almost to the max in each direction. I'd have to put up external IRs which is more financial investment, wiring, etc.

Also, the camera you mention doesn't support face detection which is unfortunate.