Review: Dahua 8MP / 4K 25x Starlight IR PTZ - PTZ5A4K-25X / SD5A825GA-HNR

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this cam that's listed in Andy's website - EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8 the same as SD5A425GA-HNR ? what is the difference ?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this cam that's listed in Andy's website - EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8 the same as SD5A425GA-HNR ? what is the difference ?
They look identical, give Andy a PM and ask. May just be a typo ??

ademin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! Where do I get this firmware? DH_SD-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3-Normal_V2.820.10SA000.0.R.230613

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm actually trying a new June Beta as well but unfortunately this also has the same issues.

Quick update on the issues I'm seeing and status. Currently in testing this thoroughly there is definitely a limitation due to SOC being used on this cam. Specifically in its impact on processing into h264. When there is a lot of movement including tracking and zoom into a target you'll see a lot of compression artifacting / macro blocking that only clears up once the camera slows down (has less to process on screen) where you will then see it snap back to good quality. I've reported this back to Dahua who are aware and also concluded same thing, SOC limitations causing impact. Since this is not something that can be fixed easily (SOC is SOC :) ) I'm doing extensive testing on how and where it's possible to elevate the pressure on the limited system resources.
Check h265..
I found on the new Dahua 25x miniptz and on a new WizMind-S cameras - that h265 works much better comparing to h264.
Especially when they are a lot of changes / there is camera movement - h265 updates / sharpen video much faster / better comparing to h264..
For me on modern Dahua IPC's h265 and even h265+ works well in Dahua ecosystem (Dahua NVR and apps), in past this wasn't usually true (on older IPC)..

Normal h264/h265 encoders have A LOT of config options. Options which Dahua (HIK and other cctv cam mfc) hide from us - we have only very simple CBR/VBR/SmartVBR switch with simple frame rate/bandwith/quality options. Tons of encoder options are hidden from us and we don't known how Dahua change it from camera to camera or firmware to firmware. It looks that they optimised h265/h265+ very much on modern platforms..

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to share my family secret with you guys. We use Scott toilet paper. Second pic is the anchor screw. :lol:

While we are waiting for Wildcat's review, just want to do a simple comparison of SD5A825GA-HNR PTZ with household items we are familiar with to give people who are interested in this camera a little perspective of the size of it.

Compare size.jpgAnchor screw 001.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Be interesting to see the low light performance. Unless I'm mistaken those figures claimed are the same as for the 4kx but with 8mp on a 1/1.8" sensor and similar to the claims of the newer 5442's sensitivity.

It will be really interesting to see if a 1/1.8" sensor can really live up to the 4kx / t at night. It's also good to see an f1.6 lens used as dof should be good even though it's a smaller sensor anyway and so would have greater dof because of that compared to the 4k series.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Что то затихла эта тема ?
English would be helpful even if it's google translate. Has to be translated other way in any event so might as well post the English version.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah the SD5 housing quite a bit bigger than the SD49 I have around. Interested in seeing the new stuff in this compared to the first version

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
slowly learning through the web gui. it seems to be performing well. lots of settings in there, and some unintuitive procedures to perform, because I have to expand on features that are not apparent at first.
I'm using the (3M) video setting for the scene I'm set to, cause I can't unzoom far back enough in the higher resolution.
If set up a scan, I'm getting lots of false events. I'm new to this cam, so I dont kwtf I'm doing :confused: but it's kinda fun.
the firmware in it , is from 9.23.22

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the only other firmware I could find is
Release Notes from Dahua is
Taurus V2.820.0000013.5.R.230301

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
slowly learning through the web gui. it seems to be performing well. lots of settings in there, and some unintuitive procedures to perform, because I have to expand on features that are not apparent at first.
I'm using the (3M) video setting for the scene I'm set to, cause I can't unzoom far back enough in the higher resolution.
If set up a scan, I'm getting lots of false events. I'm new to this cam, so I dont kwtf I'm doing :confused: but it's kinda fun.
the firmware in it , is from 9.23.22
Post some pictures and video.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I'm still working on this one RE: issues seen in compression and firmware. I'll be testing a new build of this shortly and reporting back. Working closely with Dahua so I can try and get this cam turned around into the beast I know it can be, stay tuned !

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1

Have you tried this firmware that is available from Dahua?
you probably have, and it's still not up to par I take it.
DH_SD-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3-Normal_V2.820.0000013.5.R.230301

I downloaded it, but not installing till I see more feedback on it.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1

Have you tried this firmware that is available from Dahua?
you probably have, and it's still not up to par I take it.
DH_SD-Taurus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3-Normal_V2.820.0000013.5.R.230301

I downloaded it, but not installing till I see more feedback on it.
I have the SD5A825GA-HNR ptz and don't plan to update the camera until Wildcat give a go ahead thumbs up for the next firmware. The firmware version with Wildcat's feedback and the Dahua engineers working on is not ready yet. Don't screw with the firmware unless absolutely necessary.