Retirement Gift

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep plan G is what I got... I may have the cost wrong...
I think we were quoted around $200 a month for United Healthcare. The advantage is AARP is excepted pretty much everywhere so you are good. My Mom had the same. What we were told is we have a PPO type plan an any place that excepts Medicare Plan A will except our Medi-Gap plan too, the issue is how much we have to pay depends on where we go, so kinda like a HMO Plan except they do pay but may not pay for all of it, where as a HMO type plan won't pay for anything outside their network. I know it can get confusing but main thing is as long as you are covered in an emergency, any procedures you can schedule where the Plan pays the most if not all. So we just have to plan, as anyone should, call ahead, make sure everything is covered and what your cost are.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep
Only difference between Plan F and G is that Plan F used to cover the 1X per year Part B deductible of about $225 and is as you mentioned no longer available to new enrolees

So the Medicare Plan B Premium for everyone is $174, and my MediGap AARP/UHC plan is $204 p/mo. and covers Medicare Part A deductible (thats with the $20 premium for smoker)
Nice thing as you say is I can go anywhere and pretty much 100% will be covered by any provider that accepts Medicare
So all in $378 p/mo or $4536 per year.

Lady next door has an Advantage plan through Humana. Must use their network, some copays, but if you're healthy no, $0 monthly premium.
However If she does end up with medical needs, the Out of Pocket is about $8000 per year

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Congrats! You're probably gonna find out that you are busier in retirement then wonder how you ever got anything done when you had a job.
Hahaha... You know how many times I have heard that. I have found that is a Illusion of not having to live by the clock. I work only part time now but on those days of not having a schedule, that is a easy frame of mind to fall into. Its too easy to drink 3 cups of coffee and not move off the couch until noon, then I might go out, do some yard work and a little shopping or errands and think I accomplished quite a bit. 10 years ago, I hit the Gym at 6am, Got to my job-site by 8am, usually finished up by 1 or 2 , Pick up my kid from school, make dinner for her and the wife, then go into my shop and prep for the next days projects. I look back and wonder HOW I had the energy to do all that.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I do walking to keep myself in some kind of shape. I try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day. Today was a little over 12000 steps. One of those is walking the dog. She is getting old for a lab at 15 years and 3 months, so it takes me at least twice as long to go the same distance when I am walking her.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hahaha... You know how many times I have heard that. I have found that is a Illusion of not having to live by the clock. I work only part time now but on those days of not having a schedule, that is a easy frame of mind to fall into. Its too easy to drink 3 cups of coffee and not move off the couch until noon, then I might go out, do some yard work and a little shopping or errands and think I accomplished quite a bit. 10 years ago, I hit the Gym at 6am, Got to my job-site by 8am, usually finished up by 1 or 2 , Pick up my kid from school, make dinner for her and the wife, then go into my shop and prep for the next days projects. I look back and wonder HOW I had the energy to do all that.
What I find amazing is all the wasted hours arguing with Customer Service on the phone. Probably average 2 hours per call. How did I handle those calls while working full time? My last bout was with Amazon, had a package delivered in the rain by our gate, no notice from them of delivery, box was soaked for a full day before we found it/saw it. Amazon said no problem no need to try to return since box was falling apart when you held it. Anyway, after 5 to 6 calls after being charged, we finally got our refund. All overseas, poor English speaking agents promising the world to us but all lies.

Point is, has Cust. Serv. on companies gotten this bad over the years? I don't remember being on the phone for hours in the past.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most Medicare Advantage participants enjoy pointing out how little, if anything, they directly pay until the proverbial dog-poop hits the fan. The Medicare Advantage big boys controlling your healthcare choices aren't your friends; they act as a speed bump or brick wall and their profits come before your health.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Most Medicare Advantage participants enjoy pointing out how little, if anything, they directly pay until the proverbial dog-poop hits the fan. The Medicare Advantage big boys controlling your healthcare choices aren't your friends; they act as a speed bump or brick wall and their profits come before your health.
I hear if you go advantage, and want to go back they can hold previous conditions against you. Haven't found anyone that knows for sure.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hear if you go advantage, and want to go back they can hold previous conditions against you. Haven't found anyone that knows for sure.
Most states do not allow a Medicare Advantage member to switch back to original Medicare and a Medigap plan of their choosing without passing the Medigap plan provider's checklist of health problem disqualifiers. If one has the financial means, then the Medigap route is the way to go.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that holds true to any plan you change from the first plan you sign up for at retirement, the second plan can reject you for existing conditions, previous too I assume depending on their questions...so pre-existing...my wife who recently got her Medi-Gap plan was told this...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah the more I learn the more I'm glad I did the trad Medicare and Medigap. Saving $100 a month isnt worth the downside for me
Already used it twice this month! Seems all the docs come out of the woodwork for wellness checkups when they hear you have a new card :rofl:

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You the more I learn the more I'm glad I did the trad Medicare and Medigap. Saving $100 a month isnt worth the downside for me
Already used it twice this month! Seems all the docs come out of the woodwork for wellness checkups when they hear you have a new card :rofl:
The doctors and hospitals like the Medigap patients because they know they won't have to hire one or two people whose sole job is to deal with the Medicare Advantage Plan gotchas.