retail store needs cameras, advice needed.

Candyman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading the forum for a couple months and could use your advice.
I have a retail store that had been open for 3 months and I still need to buy cameras. Too much reading this forum and not enough buying cameras. My retail store aproximately 73x48 feet. I will have 5 aisles that are 43ft long.

I think I might need 14-15 cameras if I do the following
2 cash register area
1 entrance facing camera
5 for the 5 aisles
2 for the 2 back rooms
4 (wide view cameras for the 4 corners of the store ( to cover the the front and back aisle at the end of my aisles.

I am thinking doing Blue Iris , for 14-15 2mp starlights do you think my i5-4570 3.20 GZh be good enough to run these at 10fps, h.264?

I also need help choosing cameras, specifically for the aisles and cash register. I am aware of andys $170 IPC-HDW5231R-Z for the aisles and cash register, but is there another model that is fixed lense/cheaper I should consider for places could do with a wide view lens? Thank you,.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't you should read the documents attached to this thread:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Look at some other retailers and pay attention to their security cameras. Notice the face level cameras at the doors as you leave target, walmart, and kroger. Pay attention to things like mounting height and angles.

Assuming the store is well lit, inside you may want some higher resolution cameras.

You might want to play with this tool: IP Video System Design Tool | Intuitively Design Surveillance Systems with 2D/3D Views

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
What about outside of the store? Possible parking lot surveillance in case you need description of vehicle?

Candyman

n3wb
Reaction score
What about outside of the store? Possible parking lot surveillance in case you need description of vehicle?
You are right, that 16 channel nvr is looking tight. But if I do go ahead with Blue Iris setup, i just have to get a gigabit unmanaged switch to actually power the cameras right?