Restricted user in Blu Iris local machine

acoolov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have searched all around the internet and I am shocked that almost no one is asking about this.
Is there a way to log in to the local Blu Iris machine with a non admin user, so that all the important settings are not accessible to the regular user?
If we install the system for our client, and leave it as is, there are so many settings that the users can mess with and potentially break the system.
Any NVR software today has the ability to create a non admin account for their client for example so that they can just view cameras/recordings etc, without messing with the settings.

I only see this as an option when logging in through the web access, but not locally.

We just left a newly installed system at a hotel, and the customer started messing with the settings and completely broke the system.

Please tell me there is an option to do this! If there is, please provide a detailed solution, as some of the replies on this forum lack so much detail they can't be followed.

Thanks a lot in adnvace!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done locally.

Go to Settings > User > then create the account and uncheck what you don't want them to have access to. One of the boxes is admin....

That will be $250 :lmao: You can send it to be via paypal :lmao:

acoolov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. Yes I understand you can create users, but how can you log into that non admin user on the local Blu Iris instance? Or are they only being created for web/phone app log in? I don't understand how to log into the non local user on the Blu Iris program.

acoolov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I meant to say, I don't understand how to log out of the admin local user, and log in with the non admin local user in the Blu Iris program.

acoolov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done locally.

Go to Settings > User > then create the account and uncheck what you don't want them to have access to. One of the boxes is admin....

That will be $250 :lmao: You can send it to be via paypal :lmao:
Do you know the answer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That will be $500 :lmao:

Um yeah just uncheck the box that says Always run as Windows Admin....and then it will ask you for a user and password every time...

1635936442438.png

And of course, many of us find the BI help file quite helpful as well...

W I N D OWS A D M I N I S T R ATO R AC C E S S
Blue Iris is security software, and as such requires Windows Administrator access to the PC.
All settings are also stored in the Windows system registry under a location only accessible
by a PC administrator. It is possible to configure the software to allow access by non-
administrators in a couple of ways.
First, when running as a service, you can un-check the default option on the Startup page in
Settings to Always run as Windows Admin. You must also:
• Configure a user/password on the Users page in Settings. The user will be prompted for
this when running the software. Although you may select Admin access for this account,
the user will only truly have Admin access if they are a Windows system administrator.
• Provide a desktop icon link to BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe
Instead, you may alter the access rights on the registry key used by Blue Iris to include non-
administrators. The software checks writability to this key when determining if
Administrator access is allowed. Open REGEDIT and locate the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris
You may edit the permissions on this key to provide full control to the Everyone user or to a
specific user or group.
You must still run BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe to avoid the Windows UAC
authentication prompt.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have searched all around the internet and I am shocked that almost no one is asking about this.
As stated by @wittaj , the answer is in BI's built-in "Help" file.
Please tell me there is an option to do this!
There is!
If there is, please provide a detailed solution, as some of the replies on this forum lack so much detail they can't be followed.
STARTUP

From Help at "More Options" => "Startup"

Many startup options control the way in which Blue Iris works with the operating system......

Running as a service or without Windows Admin privileges is quite an important topic, so
it is covered in the next chapter on Administration.......

ADMINISTRATION

From Help at "Administration" => "Windows Administrator Access"

Blue Iris is security software, and as such requires Windows Administrator access to the PC. All settings are also stored in the Windows system registry under a location only accessible by a PC administrator. It is possible to configure the software to allow access by non-administrators in a couple of ways.
First, when running as a service, you can un-check the default option on the Startup page in Settings to Always run as Windows Admin.
You must also:
• Configure a user/password on the Users page in Settings. The user will be prompted for this when running the software. Although you may select Admin access for this account, the user will only truly have Admin access if they are a Windows system administrator.
• Provide a desktop icon link to BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe
Instead, you may alter the access rights on the registry key used by Blue Iris to include non-administrators. The software checks writability to this key when determining if Administrator access is allowed. Open REGEDIT and locate the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris
You may edit the permissions on this key to provide full control to the Everyone user or to a specific user or group. You must still run BlueIris.exe instead of BlueIrisAdmin.exe to avoid the Windows UAC authentication prompt.

acoolov

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for. For some reason I thought in the manual it was referring to "Run as administrator" as in the windows settings, not Blue Iris settings. But it was right there in the startup settings tab.