Restarted after unexpected shutdown

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m averaging 3 restarts per day over the last several days. They did occur previously but no more than twice a single month. The increase seems to have been associated with version 4.2.7.1 and now 4.2.8.2. I don’t necessarily believe they are a result of these new versions. What I have seen during the same timeframe is an increase in hacking attempts over this period from several EU addresses.

I’ve checked the OS event logs and they show the BI application crashing, but does not offer anyactionable information (but I’m not the most technical).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this a dedicated machine? Clean Windows install?

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, dedicated machine and clean Windows 10 install.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How high is the cpu consumption? How much memory?

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CPU ranges from 67 to 85%...usually higher when file movement activities are occurring. RAM 3.8 to 4GB.
- Dell Optiplex i7-4970 3.6.
- DB is on local C drive.
- Video files are written to local 2GB drive but I've only apportioned 1GB for files. Once capacity is met, files are moved to the first of two USB attached WD MyBook Duo's.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been experience very similar unexpected lockups and crashes for over a month. I have been lazy about finding the issue until after the holidays. Looking in the Log folder and reviewing the txt file, all it states

1/10/2016 5:00:25 AM admin 0.0.0.0: Logout, 8442:37
1/10/2016 5:00:27 AM App Stopped

What should I be looking for in the log file? Also, are there other log files which contain more useful crash details?

For me, the later versions have been very unstable. My current version is 4.2.8.3 x64

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
CPU ranges from 67 to 85%...usually higher when file movement activities are occurring. RAM 3.8 to 4GB.
- Dell Optiplex i7-4970 3.6.
- DB is on local C drive.
- Video files are written to local 2GB drive but I've only apportioned 1GB for files. Once capacity is met, files are moved to the first of two USB attached WD MyBook Duo's.
Its could be the high cpu usage or low memory. Low memory can cause high cpu usage. I would put at least 8gb in there even if the system is not showing all of the 4 used.
See this thread https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting observation :

Accessing via mobile app, I see a 4% jump in CPU utilization. If I choose to view full screen all 14 cameras I see an additional 6 to 8% jump in utilization. I'm running the latest 2.0.21 of the mobile application. Just moved to 4.2.8.3.

I have a total of 32GB of RAM installed, but only using 3.8 to 4.0GB.

Las unexpected restart at 11:00AM ET on the 11th.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting observation :

Accessing via mobile app, I see a 4% jump in CPU utilization. If I choose to view full screen all 14 cameras I see an additional 6 to 8% jump in utilization. I'm running the latest 2.0.21 of the mobile application. Just moved to 4.2.8.3.

I have a total of 32GB of RAM installed, but only using 3.8 to 4.0GB.

Las unexpected restart at 11:00AM ET on the 11th.
if you are already running direct to disc, try lowering the cameras frame rates or resolution to bring cpu down. What resolution and frame rates are you running the cams?

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe I'm at 30fps and 1080p on all cameras. Some only operate at 25fps.

Last unscheduled restarts occurred at 23:26ET on the 11th. 3 total within 6 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I'm at 30fps and 1080p on all cameras. Some only operate at 25fps.

Last unscheduled restarts occurred at 23:26ET on the 10th. 3 total within 6 minutes.
30fps is way too high its not needed and a complete waste of resources. Drop them to 15 and drop the live preview rate to 10 and your cpu usage will go way down.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. I prefer to remain at these levels if my environment will support it, but willing to test to see if it resolves the issue.

During the last 24 hours I did not have an unexpected restart. The only change in the environemnt was I did not log into the server via the mobile device in my home I use to remain connected 24 hours a day which provides a "monitoring" feed of all cameras to various displays throughout the home. Two questions:

1. Could there be a BI application issue resulting from a device remaining logged in for an extended period of time? I don't know if either the mobile or desktop application was developed with a mobile user in mind who would remain logged in 24/7.

2. During low light hours, should I expect the CPU levels to increase as a result of low light IR utilization?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. I prefer to remain at these levels if my environment will support it, but willing to test to see if it resolves the issue.

During the last 24 hours I did not have an unexpected restart. The only change in the environemnt was I did not log into the server via the mobile device in my home I use to remain connected 24 hours a day which provides a "monitoring" feed of all cameras to various displays throughout the home. Two questions:

1. Could there be a BI application issue resulting from a device remaining logged in for an extended period of time? I don't know if either the mobile or desktop application was developed with a mobile user in mind who would remain logged in 24/7.

2. During low light hours, should I expect the CPU levels to increase as a result of low light IR utilization?
1) no, many users keep the app logged in all the time
2) it varies, sometimes the noise can cause an increase, sometimes it decreases.
Your cpu utilization is too high, that is what I would look at first. There is no reason for 30fps, in fact, the basic 3mp cams cant even do 30fps, they are limited to 20 unless you lower to 1080p.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I successfully reduced the CPU utilization, rebuilt the machine from the ground up, but decided to keep the FPS set at 30. The Atrix HD device I'm using as a mini HDMI connection which I connect to a Video over IP transmitter which connects to a received at the television. The received is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Unfortunately I receive these restarts whenever I connect via the Atrix HD device with the latest BI Mobile Application (and the previous version as well). Note that it does NOT fail immediately. it typically takes several hours before the BI application on the BI server restarts.

Any thoughts on why it appears the mobile device logged into BI for a long period of time would cause this issue?

Dell 9020 Optiplex
Intel i7-4790
32GB RAM
Intel HD 4600
Windows 10 - built ground up
C: Drive 1TB (internal - BI Application and DB
E: Drive 2TB (internal) - BI Video clips "current"
F: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "older"
G: WD My Cloud Duo 12TB (USB) - BI clips Files "oldest"
Dahua IPC-HDBW4300E (4)
Dahua IPC-HFW4300S (8)
30FPS for all cameras
Norton Internet Security
Running BI as a service
Direct-to-Disk
Hardware Acceleration - On
I maintain ~40 days worth of clips
BI CPU 40% +/- 5% during the day. Evening hours 46% +/- 5%

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm beginning to see an increase in frequency of this error without accessing via my mobile device. There doesn't seem to be a single contributing factor I can see in the log file. Is there another log file with greater details somewhere? is there way to turn on some kind of debugging to capture more information?

Please let me know.

BI 4.2.9.1

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to see an increase in frequency of this error without accessing via my mobile device. There doesn't seem to be a single contributing factor I can see in the log file. Is there another log file with greater details somewhere? is there way to turn on some kind of debugging to capture more information?

Please let me know.
have you updated to the latest release? have you contacted support?

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I contact support about the Force Quitting pxServer Thread issue. But I have not reached out to them about this issue. Trying to figure out if others are having a similar experience before sending to Ken. Yes, running BI 4.2.9.1.

cltbwc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Root cause identified. The e-Mail alert configured via the BI log was causing the retarts. I disabled this feature on Friday the 19th and have not had a recurrence of the unexpected restart.

To be more specific, these are the e-mail alerts generated via the LOG view where you can receive an excerpt from the log in various time increments.

Ken has been notified and provided details of the issue/resolution.