Replacing Water Heater Tank in Attic

Reaction score
Nice job @SJGUSMC21! Looks great!

A few years ago I changed out my electric water heater in the garage. Thank gawd I didn't have to do an attic job like @SJGUSMC21. The old one was 50 gals and was 29 years old and you could tell it was going out. You got less and less hot water over a period of weeks. I changed it out but had to go from a 50 gal down to a 40 gal one because of the tight space I had for it. The gubermint had changed efficiency regulations over the years which meant that newer water heaters in the same capacity are wider to accommodate more insulation. A new 50 gal would not fit in the space. No worries, 40 gals is still plenty of hot water. Because I didn't want to learn how to solder copper piping I decided to use SharkBite fittings. I did a spreadsheet on the parts I needed and it turns out that all the SharkBite fittings added $85 over the cost of straight copper soldered fittings. Just posting this here in case someone has some tight spaces or wants another option for connecting piping. Those fittings are great for tight spots. I did go back and insulate the hot out pipe from the water heater to the wall and also a small portion of the cold water in side. When I was done, all the purty shiny pipes looked like I had partially constructed a time machine. :rofl:

View attachment 187369

View attachment 187370

View attachment 187371

View attachment 187372
I love Sharkbites! Highly under rated and I have NEVER had one leak! Great job! I wish it was in my garage! That is a tight fit for sure!

Those flexible copper lines bent, connected, and unsupported like that don't inspire confidence.
If you are referring to the ones in my picture, trust me, they are plenty strong. Been that way for 20 years and they are not as 'flexible' as they look.

Samplenhold, dual 50's? Wow, you must go thru some hot water! This is the only dual 50 I know! :)
1708646605318.jpeg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are referring to the ones in my picture, trust me, they are plenty strong. Been that way for 20 years and they are not as 'flexible' as they look.
Are pipes on both sides at least anchored to the trusses? Typically plumbers replace those when they replace a water heater. They're sure to leak eventually, especially the one you connected to galvanized pipe.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
He
Converting over to tankless is very expensive compared to just replacing the water tank and the ROI just isn't there for most people, plus the tankless systems require maintenance. Every time I get estimates to convert my current hot water tank to tankless it's just not worth the high cost.
Helps to have a brother in law that is also a plumber. :)

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On Demands are AWESOME-( Endless Showers)--just do not get the Electric ones - total piles. I have had my 2 Gas ones for 20+ years. 1 is electric ignition the other runs off Impeller for Spark when water is turned on. I will always have Hot water as long as I have gas and water PSI

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the reason for being located in the attic? Don't think I've ever seen one there.

Reaction score
Here in southern TX we generally do not worry about very cold weather. So placing the water heater in the attic gets it out of the way and rarely has issues from the cold. Certainly no more than keeping it in a garage.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m glad you didn’t call it a “hot water heater” you’re not heating hot water.
splitting hairs... hot is the point .... it is funny

the water inlet valve and looks like the gas valve are “backwards”. While they still flow and shut off the same, if by chance they were to fail and break, they’re most likely to break at the factory “seam” which in this case the ball of the valve will be on the broken end rendering it useless. Again not very likely to break and very common they’re in this orientation but food for thought
but ball valves rule, love the positive action

If the hot water tank is located in the attic above the garage I would have relocated it to the garage space instead of the attic.
lots of pipe, or maybe less pipe, status quo ok

Because I didn't want to learn how to solder copper piping
try cause its fun

IMG_3818.jpegIMG_3819.jpeg

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Such complication.

I have solar hot water (200-300 Litre tank) with a gas booster.
It all sits outside my house and supplies me with endless hot water for almost no cost.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the modern instant hot water requires direct venting... separate from your chimney.

Reaction score
splitting hairs... hot is the point .... it is funny
It is, but initially you're not heating hot water. At what point does it become hot but you're still heating it? I don't know

but ball valves rule, love the positive action
Not knocking ball valves, they work great, just pointing out that if they were to break it would most likely be where the two halves are pressed together. In that situation you want the ball / stop to be on the inlet / pressure side.