Replacing my weatherstation. Which one?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Davis Vantage Pro II up and running for over the better part of 11 years. I replaced the anemometer bearings once and replaced the rechargeable solar cell batteries once.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Davis Vantage Pro II up and running for over the better part of 11 years. I replaced the anemometer bearings once and replaced the rechargeable solar cell batteries once.
The link in your signature doesn't work, btw.

I think mine crapped out because I used alkalines and it corroded the terminals. I put dielectric grease in the new one and plan to get some lithiums for it.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Huh....link doesn''t work? Let me check that.

Yeah, the batteries on mine got really weak around the 7 year mark. Bought new ones and haven't had any more issues. Mine station is starting to look a little worn and dated from over a decade in the elements, but it is still working and from all appearances, is still accurate. I take it apart once a year and give it a good cleaning inside and out.

Reaction score
I bought the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus and the WeatherLink Live last year. Got to install it back in January. Very happy with it, but the display is quite old tech. They just came out with a more modern display, but to me it is not worth buying it.

IMG_4977.JPG

Bad1Billy

n3wb
Reaction score
Another user of Davis VantagePro2. Wireless version been up on a 14,000 foot mountain for 15 years. Had 2 destroyed totally by lightning. High winds (100+ mph) also frequently wreak havoc so have replaced anemometer and cups (keep a set on hand) every so often. Biggest problem is ice and snow buildup on cups (only solution is to clear by hand or wait for sun to melt off). Tried a Vaisala with ultrasonic anemometer and heated tines to no avail (12V heating don't work very well); also issues with data transmission that I never could resolve.

VP2 is expensive (wireless is what I use and wired is cheaper) but Davis will rebuild the station for a fee (never tried but got close) if it starts to fail. AS I said, rock solid in extreme weather.

As far as software, been a long time user of Weather Display. Really a great program and kinda reminds me of Blue Iris in that it's a single developer who keeps cranking out updates. One price is good forever though. Never tried integrating it with BI but I'm sure it's possible...

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
High winds (100+ mph) also frequently wreak havoc so have replaced anemometer and cups (keep a set on hand) every so often. Biggest problem is ice and snow buildup on cups (only solution is to clear by hand or wait for sun to melt off). Tried a Vaisala with ultrasonic anemometer and heated tines to no avail (12V heating don't work very well)
I have had good luck with Ambient ultrasonic anemometer and 12V heater at 7500 ft and 80 mph winds and temps -10. Not nearly as extreme as you get up there at 14, 000 ft. Ambient is rebranded Fine Offset clone like Ecowitt and others. Good info about all this here: MUST READ - Fine Offset Clone Models,sensor compatibility,firmware + other info