Replacing my weatherstation. Which one?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It's time to replace my weather station. Any recommendations with the Cyber Monday offerings on Amazon?

I was considering this one:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been using WeeWX: open source weather software since 2019 when Cumulus stopped working for me. It is a lot more stuffing around but also a lot more flexible in the devices you read from. I have mine using a DVB-T USB receiver on 433MHz picking up sensors from 3 old weatherstations. Stores data in an SQL database and has a web interface for display.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's time to replace my weather station. Any recommendations with the Cyber Monday offerings on Amazon?

I was considering this one:
I've had this 5in1 model since 2017. I just now need to replace it as it constantly reads 40 degrees. The high definition display never worked right from the beginning so never used that. I had the unit connected to Weather Underground to report my conditions and used the MyAcurite app as well.

They have a newer version that connects via wifi which i believe will work better instead of the proprietary wireless transmission that the older models used.

More here:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use a Ambient Weather WS-1551-IP without monitor. Then use Home Assistant to display the data.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just ordered the Acurite Atlas 5-in-1 with the direct to wifi HD monitor. Acurite has a "build your kit" type of deal plus 20% for cyber week. Total was about 184 including free shipping, tax and the discount.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had this one running steady going on 3 years now ==>> Ambient Weather WS-2902 WiFi Smart Weather Station
It's 16% off / $152.00
I ended up with this and am happy with it so far. I've added it to WUnderground to replace my old one and have also added weather overlay to one of my sky cams.

I am considering adding it as a weathercam through Ambient Weather, but not sure the best way. They have URL and FTP, but not sure where I would enter the info. Anyone done this? Guidance?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently I got it figured out, it just wasn't displaying in my browser.

I put the FTP info into BI's main settings and then selected that FTP preset in the Post tab of the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ended up with this and am happy with it so far. I've added it to WUnderground to replace my old one and have also added weather overlay to one of my sky cams.

I am considering adding it as a weathercam through Ambient Weather, but not sure the best way. They have URL and FTP, but not sure where I would enter the info. Anyone done this? Guidance?
I've been FTP'ing a camera to Ambient Weather 3 yrs. now via Blue Iris, rock steady. Below is the free public link to 640 x 480; you can upgrade to higher resolution for a fee.

Create a FTP in BI, use the credentials AW gives you when you create a free account.
Go to the desired cam, go to "post" => "target" , check "post files to FTP server", select from the drop box the FTP server for AW you created beforehand.

Here's my web cam:
View attachment 40F5200AE4FF (1).mp4

And here's a static image, FTP'ed by BI from a cloned cam every 10 minutes to my own web page ==>>

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been FTP'ing a camera to Ambient Weather 3 yrs. now via Blue Iris, rock steady. Below is the free public link to 640 x 480; you can upgrade to higher resolution for a fee.

Create a FTP in BI, use the credentials AW gives you when you create a free account.
Go to the desired cam, go to "post" => "target" , check "post files to FTP server", select from the drop box the FTP server for AW you created beforehand.

Here's my web cam:

View attachment 179285
I had figured it out right after I posted and asked. Your link is acting as an attachment, I don't know if that's what you intended.

My only concern is the weather overlay has my weather station ID on it, which puts my info out there, but if you can see the weather station you can see my location. So I suppose it doesn't really matter.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had figured it out right after I posted and asked. Your link is acting as an attachment, I don't know if that's what you intended.

My only concern is the weather overlay has my weather station ID on it, which puts my info out there, but if you can see the weather station you can see my location. So I suppose it doesn't really matter.
There's a place in your AW account to make your links private; not sure if that helps.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a place in your AW account to make your links private; not sure if that helps.
It's sort of a catch 22. I want the weather info and visual to be out there, but if someone can access my weather station via AW or WU, then they can see its location on a map. So there is no hiding it or where I am. But if I share the video, it has the station ID overlaid with the weather info, so there is definitely no hiding it. But, at some point, if someone wants to find me and tickle me in my sleep, then they're going to find me and tickle me in my sleep.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In case anyone finds this thread and was wondering how to send weather cam images from Blue Iris to Ambient Weather by ftp, this guide has specific instructions and what I followed:

Yes your location is not a secret with ambient weather. Oh well

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
In case anyone finds this thread and was wondering how to send weather cam images from Blue Iris to Ambient Weather by ftp, this guide has specific instructions and what I followed:

Yes your location is not a secret with ambient weather. Oh well
Nice, didn't know they had that in their help.