Replacement NVR for "old" Costco Lorex system?

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello!

Last year we bought the lorex system from Costco that was praised so much at slickdeals.

Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99

And we added 2 of the starlight cameras that you'all recommended.

Well lately we've been having some issue. Not 100% sure if it's our internet? router? or the NVR?

One thing is, it keeps disconnecting from the internet. We have to do a reset (unplug power, plug back in) for it to be connected again. We don't have this issue with our other 2 wired devices. It's happening more and more frequently. But least we were getting recordings, if not the notices via the app and not being able to see the cameras via the app.

However yesterday It just plain stopped recording even to the hard drive!? I did the unplug, plug in and it's back, but HOW FRUSTRATING!

SOOOOO That said.... unless you'all can tell me what's wrong with this one... What's a good replacement NVR?

We'd like the replacement to be able to handle 16 cameras (instead of the 8 we currently have) so that we can add more now that we've lived with the cameras a year... and we see our blind spots!

Last edited:

I like pink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m actually looking for recommendations from others of what is considered a good model. And as i said in the original post.... I want to add more camera so I need a 16....

GSMarquis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lorex has a two year warranty, if you used your Costco card, you added another year to two years depending on what the item is.

Have you looked into firmware updates?

If you want a different NVR, at least get this one fixed and sell it to cover part of the new one.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @I like pink

I definitely concur with @GSMarquis

ASAP see about getting that kit repaired.

Issues:
Not 100% sure if it's our internet? router? or the NVR?

1) One thing is, it keeps disconnecting from the internet. We have to do a reset (unplug power, plug back in) for it to be connected again. We don't have this issue with our other 2 wired devices. It's happening more and more frequently. But least we were getting recordings, if not the notices via the app and not being able to see the cameras via the app.

2) However yesterday It just plain stopped recording even to the hard drive!?

Suggestion to help ID issue:

Get an uptime monitoring software on a PC on your LAN, use it to ping / monitor the uptime to your A) NVR, B) Router C) Next internet hop which your ISP controls and allows you to ping
( I like ping to check for network outages, however some network and info-sec folks like to disable it.. )

As #2 happened, I would check for the logs on your NVRs. NVRs are typically fairly cheaply made hardware compared to servers I typically see running 24/7

Good news:
You bought this from Costco. They have a great return policy on security camera kits, so if the kit is still under warranty and you're not getting proper repair options for it - check the Costco return policy.

Future options:
A) Dahua OEM NVR w/16 POE ports
B) POE switch + PC running VMS software ( Dahua OEM SmartPSS, Blue Iris ( well regarded by members ), other.. )

C) Dahua OEM NVR w/ 16 channels and no PoE ports + POE switch ( I'd recommend option #B over this one if you're only looking to setup one NVR / VMS system ... )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the NVR installed in a conditioned place that gets good air flow, and can keep it's self cool?
Have you took the top off to double check the vents/fans aren't clogged with dirt?
No fans have failed?

Check the NVR's log's, it might give you a clue as to what is going on.