Replace failing hard drive

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you can clone one drive to another but cloning is not just using copy command. The assumption I made is he had only one drive installed and need to replace it. If he installed a second hard drive he could clone then unplug/ remove the old one. When it clones it still creates the image but writes it at the same time.
Also, I have two drives, C: and V: (WD purple for clips only).

C: is what is failing.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

1: direct to disk clone
2: create rescue disk and boot from it
3: point to new HDD
These are the basic steps to follow
1: create rescue disk and boot from it
2: choose direct to disk clone
3: identify the sick HDD as the source, and the new HDD as the destination

Be sure to watch the video shared earlier, as you will want to re-size the partitions moving to the new drive to maximize the use of the larger drive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've cloned using a USB/SATA adapter many times using Macrium. I usually use disk manager and resize the partition if the new drive is bigger after I'm up and running on the new drive. I also keep a same size SATA drive in the machine and clone the M2 to it once a week. Should the M2 fail, all I have to do is point to machine to boot from the cloned SATA drive.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... When it clones it still creates the image but writes it at the same time.
A larger image file is no different than, say, a text file on a drive. You cannot copy the contents of the disc image file while it is 'open' and actively being created. Just as you cannot copy/move a text file that is 'open' and actively being created/modified.

Symantec Ghost, Clonezilla, Carbon Copy & acronis true image are the titles I've used repeatedly over time. When cloning from one drive to another, it (indeed) copies the contents of one drive to another with no image file involved.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apparently, for some reason, Macrium won't let me create a rescue disk on a USB drive, I'll have to see if I have any CD's available to burn to.

I also feel like the connection between the HDD and PC is super unstable- the plug has to be just in the right spot on the PC in order for the HDD to boot up. Maybe need to replace the cable.

This is becoming quite the process...

*disregard- different flash drive works after formatting

Last edited:

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it common to have a power issue to the drive? Should I replace the power cable from the SSD to the computer? I had to get it set just right at the connection into the computer in order to get the old SSD to boot.

Then, when I was able to boot from the USB rescue drive, it was unable to find and load from the new SSD, I'm thinking because of that same power issue.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It can't hurt to try a new cable, in fact both cables. That'll eliminate them from the troubleshooting chart.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys… it’s working now, and I’ll explain how I fixed it in just a bit.

For now and on to the next (smaller) issue… I can’t expand my C drive into the unallocated space. It appears as though the recovery partition is in the way. So dumb.

Any ideas on how I can merge C into the unallocated space to take advantage of this bigger drive?CBDF5F36-89CA-4807-8522-91AEC5C25701.jpeg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've done but I think you need to delete the adjacent partition before you can do anything with that space. That will kill the files there obviously so you'd want to back up anything you want to keep. I don't think that there's any way to do it in a way that preserves the files on merge.

There are some third-party utilities that make it easier. I used one last time I did but don't recall which it was now.

Edit to add: I think I used AOMEI. Might take a look at that one.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Aomei partition assistant or what ever it's called now. lots of them out there. It can resize C:\ after all the BS is over and your running, you select the unallocated space up to the Recovery partition. if you get really adventurous you can delete the recovery partition, ( but1st copy the whole image with all the partitions selected before you destroy it) as a Macrium Image onto WD purp if you got room.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For now and on to the next (smaller) issue… I can’t expand my C drive into the unallocated space. It appears as though the recovery partition is in the way. So dumb.

Any ideas on how I can merge C into the unallocated space to take advantage of this bigger drive?

I did something similar a while back using the GPARTED utility off a bootable USB drive to adjust and move some partitions. Was a bit fiddly but it resolved my issue.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

First, just in case anyone else reads this thread and finds themselves in this same situation, my problem and solution to the HDD issue was this:

I had a failing 128gb SSD HD and wanted to replace it with a 256gb SSD HD. I used Macrium to clone the old disk to the new, and disconnected the old HD to replace.

When I disconnected the old HD and put in the new, the PC wouldn't boot- it would pass through CD, USB, both HDD's (C: and V:- WD Purple), then onto the network to try to boot. I tried fixing it by putting the old HD back in, with no consistent luck. I was able to get it to boot a couple times, but only after messing with the cable connection at the PC side. I was unable to get it to boot from the new HD. Replaced the data cable with no luck.

I then decided to disconnect both the CD drive and V: drive and to only have the old HDD connected, and subsequently got it to boot. I did the same with the new HDD, and was able to get it to boot as well. I then reconnected the CD and V: drive and it's been working without issues ever since.

Second, and thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, including @sebastiantombs @Valiant @IAmATeaf @Flintstone61 @Mike A. , I used a program (the first suggested) called AOMEI to rearrange the partitions so that I could expand my C: drive into the extra 128gb this new drive provided.

All is well now and working fine, just took a couple restarts to get BI and the drives to sort themselves out.

I appreciate everyones help and, if anyone can offer their expert opinion, does anyone know why I had to disconnect everything but the C: HDD in order to get it to boot properly?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

First, just in case anyone else reads this thread and finds themselves in this same situation, my problem and solution to the HDD issue was this:

I had a failing 128gb SSD HD and wanted to replace it with a 256gb SSD HD. I used Macrium to clone the old disk to the new, and disconnected the old HD to replace.

When I disconnected the old HD and put in the new, the PC wouldn't boot- it would pass through CD, USB, both HDD's (C: and V:- WD Purple), then onto the network to try to boot. I tried fixing it by putting the old HD back in, with no consistent luck. I was able to get it to boot a couple times, but only after messing with the cable connection at the PC side. I was unable to get it to boot from the new HD. Replaced the data cable with no luck.

I then decided to disconnect both the CD drive and V: drive and to only have the old HDD connected, and subsequently got it to boot. I did the same with the new HDD, and was able to get it to boot as well. I then reconnected the CD and V: drive and it's been working without issues ever since.

Second, and thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, including @sebastiantombs @Valiant @IAmATeaf @Flintstone61 @Mike A. , I used a program (the first suggested) called AOMEI to rearrange the partitions so that I could expand my C: drive into the extra 128gb this new drive provided.

All is well now and working fine, just took a couple restarts to get BI and the drives to sort themselves out.I

I appreciate everyones help and, if anyone can offer their expert opinion, does anyone know why I had to disconnect everything but the C: HDD in order to get it to boot properly?
It will help others if you have your terminology correct.
A SSD drive is not a HD or HDD.
HD equals Hard Drive.
HDD equals Hard Disc Drive. HD and HDD refer to the same thing.
SSD equals Solid State Drive, and is a completely different animal from a HDD.